Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Hey Randy hope you are safe buddy , your neck of the woods is getting battered right ?
    Hey thanks Al appreciate that. Simply put we got our ass kicked lol. I grabbed the bags and bugged out Sat. before landfall. Put 1k+ miles on the ride thru Fla. AL. Tennessee, South Carolina and stayed in more hotels than a Vegas 'working girl' . Something said don't play with that one and she nailed some sturdy parishes. Plaquemines, Houma, Lafitte Grand isle etc all tore up bad not to mention just drowning folks in the NE on the way to fookoffville. Locally about 60 percent of City with power back tonight but other areas will be in the dark until end of Sept. Got lucky really. Two trees down, half fence gone and roof got sheered a bit, some mold but still standing. The suddenness of Ida was surprising, she didn't waiver or linger in the Gulf. Popped up, took aim and rolled straight in. First time seeing one exactly like that. Always an interesting experience. Took an act of god to leave this place for two weeks .

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Hey Randy hope you are safe buddy , your neck of the woods is getting battered right ?
    Hey thanks Al appreciate that. Simply put we got our ass kicked lol. I grabbed the bags and bugged out Sat. before landfall. Put 1k+ miles on the ride thru Fla. AL. Tennessee, South Carolina and stayed in more hotels than a Vegas 'working girl' . Something said don't play with that one and she nailed some sturdy parishes. Plaquemines, Houma, Lafitte Grand isle etc all tore up bad not to mention just drowning folks in the NE on the way to fookoffville. Locally about 60 percent of City with power back tonight but other areas will be in the dark until end of Sept. Got lucky really. Two trees down, half fence gone and roof got sheered a bit, some mold but still standing. The suddenness of Ida was surprising, she didn't waiver or linger in the Gulf. Popped up, took aim and rolled straight in. First time seeing one exactly like that. Always an interesting experience. Took an act of god to leave this place for two weeks .

I saw you were planning to go to Florida and when you didn't check in I was thinking anything could have happened. Good that you dodged it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great Av and sad loss, Williams was just brilliant as Chalky White on Boardwalk!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great Av and sad loss, Williams was just brilliant as Chalky White on Boardwalk!
    I watched a couple of shows and I couldn't get away with it. I'm thinking about watching The Wire again.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some nice flooding here in bc and I'm stuck on the wrong side of it, freeway and all the other roads are either flooded or blocked by mudslides, so I went off to the emergency centre(they were giving out subway) and the gits gave me forms to get 45 quids worth of soap and toothpaste(seems excessive but maybe they're trying to tell me something), I get to go to Denny's three times a day but it doesn't cover everything but wotever better than nothing. Nowhere to sleep though which is a bit awkward..

Looks like nutsack river in Washington flooded pretty bad and it swelled over to this low lying farmland here and has buggered everything else.

Some twitter links of the lovely flooding, I don't know how to upload images on the phone,

https://twitter.com/TimJamesCity/sta...393600513?s=20

https://twitter.com/ZoMbIeSKilled33/...460150272?s=20

https://twitter.com/AbbyPoliceDept/s...499654661?s=20

It's not usually under water.

tried to drive home yesterday afternoon but the water rose very fast and by the point we were turned around the water was nearly half way up the car door, quite a bit of luck that we made it through some guys cars were stalling and not starting up again. I think a lot of farms just had to leave their livestock too... First the 45+ heatwave in June buggered up some crops in this area now the flooding too, the farms are taking a whacking.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Made it back home after being stuck for two nights on the wrong side of the flood, they managed to clear the landslides on the road on the other side of the Fraser River, it's quite a detour but it works. Part of the road seems damaged so it was one lane alternating traffic for a few kms(which takes a long time)....

Quite a disaster.. Some various links.
    The worst stuff is further inland where small bridges are falling down and roads collapsing :S

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/coqu...ns-washed-away

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59324764

Then an RV rental place catches fire :S

https://globalnews.ca/video/8380287/...with-flooding/

Looks like the water is coming down pretty quick too which is nice... I'm still not going to work for the rest of the week though,...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's brutal how are you faring bud? Any damage close to home and hope you don't have any cresting waterways close by. Saw some footage yesterday and looks all to familiar. Smart man opting to wait and detour, rule number 1..don't drown turn around. Once the bridges go it's literally life changing. Stay safe stay dry!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smart man opting to wait and detour, rule number 1..don't drown turn around. Once the bridges go it's literally life changing. Stay safe stay dry!
    That was more luck and the fact the road got closed pretty quick.. Police announced it would be closed at 6pm so we left around 4 but by the time we got to the section of road(maybe 5kms away) it was flooded and they were turning people off.. (some pictures below).. And once we were back a bin had blown over and that was it :S...... The main parts of the cities down here are mostly fine but the low lying are which has a lot of farms is buggered and I'm pretty sure a lot of animals have died and who knows what damage will have been done to the free way a good few km was under water for a while.

Currently a levee is being built(even the army are here :S) along the freeway because the water is rising pretty bad in some parts and there's a fair whack of rain forecast for next Tuesday(100+mm) so without drastic measures things could get pretty bad and the water could overwhelm a lot more stuff where many more live. The unfortunate part of this is the way they are direct the flood water out is going to flood maybe ten houses, which is terrible for the people that live there as that are was a former shallow lake that was drained maybe 100 years ago to make the farm land so those unfortunate gits probably don't have insurance for this, they'll lose the house.

Saying that, the worst is definently further inland where big chunks of the roads and bridges have fallen down, poor gits. Merritt was totally evacuated and flooded and that's after they were all evacuated due to the wildfires a few months ago :S... Look up some of the pictures on the coquihalla route, that's a pretty major route too.

Overall though it could have been much worse, everyone responded pretty quick and there's only been on death confined so far(which is of course one too many) but there are around a further three missing.

Photos below(used a link because they might be big, and also upside down) taken from the passenger side whilst driving back, water got pretty high on the car, lucky to make it through(we were only in the water for a few mins)

Fire brigade were rowing a dingy up to peoples houses along the road too :S
    https://ibb.co/WVSBc6s
    https://ibb.co/MCv0PfL
    https://ibb.co/xh0ZcBS
    Attached Images
    Last edited by palmerq; 11-19-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is a lot of damage and will take years to get over. Is this British Colombia?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    That is a lot of damage and will take years to get over. Is this British Colombia?
    Yes sumas is a bit east of Vancouver and then tree damage inland seems to stretch for a while :S.

Fuel limits in place for a week or two which no one is going to follow

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

tried to drive home yesterday afternoon but the water rose very fast and by the point we were turned around the water was nearly half way up the car door, quite a bit of luck that we made it through some guys cars were stalling and not starting up again..
    I had a coworker who made the nightly news, cameras caught him on top of his car. He said the water was about a foot,within seconds the water was up to the window... he had to jump out his window on the roof, made it to another car roof, then to safety. had to go back and get his car next day- I think it was totalled, so I am sure you must know how that felt.

Cool ya back, so we can go at it on the boxing tip!!!!!!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cannot look at the footage from up North without wincing man. Kentucky absolutely savaged and in addition to neighboring States some 30 tornadoes touched down. Early word is some 100 reported dead, 40 missing and count expected to rise no doubt. Entire towns literally leveled. I've been in 1 tornado when I was a small child in Oklahoma and have to say I will take a hurricane any day over those.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cannot look at the footage from up North without wincing man. Kentucky absolutely savaged and in addition to neighboring States some 30 tornadoes touched down. Early word is some 100 reported dead, 40 missing and count expected to rise no doubt. Entire towns literally leveled. I've been in 1 tornado when I was a small child in Oklahoma and have to say I will take a hurricane any day over those.

That was downright BRUTAL.

They're saying one tornado in particular traveled over 200 miles. That is unbelievable. Mayfield, Kentucky was totally destroyed and that candle factory looks like it was leveled by a giant bulldozer. The outbreak affected 6 states. An Amazon warehouse in Illinois was also destroyed and there's likely to be many casualties in there also.

That makes two of us in choosing between a tornado and a hurricane. And this is from someone who lived through both Hugo in '89, and Maria in 2017. Hurricanes are mean and nasty... but you see them coming and can prepare. These funnel-shaped bitches come down unexpectedly and many times at night.

God help all the people and families that were affected.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So last night was interesting. This fat fooker formed on the West bank and straight lined it about 6 blocks from me in Algiers. Hit Gretna, hoped the levee and road over the Mississippi river. Strengthened to a reported EF3, and grounded again in the lower ninth ward, St Bernard and decimated Arabi directly across the river. Only the 2nd tornado I've seen up close and personal and I sure as shat don't wish them on anyone. You cannot 'prepare' for them! Last clip pretty much word for word.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SIX blocks away!

Yeah... that's a bit TOO close.

That funnel looked pretty well defined for an EF-3. It was probably on the upper part of that range.

Scary to think it's not just Tornado Alley that has to worry about those monsters.

And you're right... no time to prepare. In that sense, they're a hell of a lot scarier than hurricanes.

Thread Information