Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mikey Garcia hyping his fight vs. Rocky Martinez

I like Mikey. He's a personable guy, and a fantastic fighter. But he's going a bit over the top hyping his upcoming fight with Rocky. "He's dangerous"..... "He'll be my toughest fight"...... C'mon, man. Martinez is tough as nails. He keeps coming forward. But he's a bit of a plodder..... has slow hands.... and below-average defense. Not a good recipe for success against the likes of Mikey Garcia. Rocky doesn't have 1-punch knockout power, either, which could always be the great equalizer. So while it'll be an entertaining fight while it lasts..... it's not a fight to be hyped. Mikey's an up-and-coming Mexican-American superstar....... Rocky has been an "average" champion, who's gotten by on guts and grit more than speed, power, and skill.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey Garcia hyping his fight vs. Rocky Martinez

Yes Martinez really showed all his power and skill against - Ricky Burns.
    Garcia will KO him easily.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I like Mikey. He's a personable guy, and a fantastic fighter. But he's going a bit over the top hyping his upcoming fight with Rocky. "He's dangerous"..... "He'll be my toughest fight"...... C'mon, man. Martinez is tough as nails. He keeps coming forward. But he's a bit of a plodder..... has slow hands.... and below-average defense. Not a good recipe for success against the likes of Mikey Garcia. Rocky doesn't have 1-punch knockout power, either, which could always be the great equalizer. So while it'll be an entertaining fight while it lasts..... it's not a fight to be hyped. Mikey's an up-and-coming Mexican-American superstar....... Rocky has been an "average" champion, who's gotten by on guts and grit more than speed, power, and skill.
    Despite the fact that Martinez is coming off 3 gift decisions in a row he might be Garcia toughest fight. Orlando Salido and Juan Manuel Lopez were better fighters. But Martinez is fresher and closer to his prime than they were. So really Garcia is not wrong when he says that. Still Garcia will bring Puerto Rico's world champions count down to 0.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Yes Martinez really showed all his power and skill against - Ricky Burns.

I rest my case.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Despite the fact that Martinez is coming off 3 gift decisions in a row he might be Garcia toughest fight. Orlando Salido and Juan Manuel Lopez were better fighters. But Martinez is fresher and closer to his prime than they were. So really Garcia is not wrong when he says that. Still Garcia will bring Puerto Rico's world champions count down to 0.

Martinez is fresher and closer to his prime than Salido and JML were when they fought Garcia.... I agree with that. Still.... given Martinez's limited skill sets, where Garcia "one-ups" him in most every major category..... anything but a TKO win by Garcia should be considered either an overachievement by Martinez, or an underachievement by Garcia. In other words, Garcia should be a fairly heavy favorite going into the fight.

Reason why I like Garcia is he's unassuming. He goes about his business quietly and professionally. He's just this side of 30 pro fights and has no bloatedness to his record, nor does he have the "over-the-top" hype that others have. He's got no family member on "Boxing's Board of Directors", nor has he been accused of cheating to get where he's at.

All these reasons set him apart from the JCC Jr's, Alvarez's, and Rios's of the world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Martinez is fresher and closer to his prime than Salido and JML were when they fought Garcia.... I agree with that. Still.... given Martinez's limited skill sets, where Garcia "one-ups" him in most every major category..... anything but a TKO win by Garcia should be considered either an overachievement by Martinez, or an underachievement by Garcia. In other words, Garcia should be a fairly heavy favorite going into the fight.

Reason why I like Garcia is he's unassuming. He goes about his business quietly and professionally. He's just this side of 30 pro fights and has no bloatedness to his record, nor does he have the "over-the-top" hype that others have. He's got no family member on "Boxing's Board of Directors", nor has he been accused of cheating to get where he's at.

All these reasons set him apart from the JCC Jr's, Alvarez's, and Rios's of the world.
    I don't give Mikey any credit for the Juanma fight cuz he didn't bother making weight against his washed up opponent.
    Apart from that he looks the goods and I don't see him having too many problems with Martinez
    Rocky is tough and always in entertaining fights but he's made for Mikey and will get stopped late

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes this has its problems but I am looking forward to this fight. Watching the fight and being on the forum enhances the whole thing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be a no brainer for Garcia.

Thread Information