Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oboh - "I'd stop Clinton Woods in six"

Brockley-based Nigerian Peter Oboh finally returns to the ring next Friday (April 27) to contest the British and Commonwealth light-heavyweight titles against Portsmouth's Tony Oakey at Wembley. Peter, sometimes called the most avoided fighter in Britain (last fight, astonishingly, almost three years ago), took time out of his training to talk to BBN:

BBN: Peter, How's the preparation for the Oakey fight going?

PO: Very well, I'm working with Spencer Fearon at the City Boxer gym in Southwark.

BBN: You've not fought since May 2004, why is that?

PO: People keep pulling out of our fights. I can't remember all their names, I'd have to ask Dean [Powell, Peter's manager], but it's happened about three or four times now. I'm used to getting only a contest a year now when I fight. I think people are very afraid of my knockout ratio. I've stopped fighters, Thomas Hansvoll and Ole Klemensen, very early and they have both fought for world titles. Also, I'm able to take my power late into fights [Peter has stopped all of his last three opponents in or beyond the tenth]. I listen to God when I train and he tells me what to do.

BBN: For those fans who know your name but haven't seen you fight because of your inactivity, can you summarise your strengths as a fighter?

PO: Number one, I don't feel pain. Number two, I don't get tired. Number three, I don't get afraid. Number four, I can use all of the punches in boxing, I can fight inside or off the ropes. I've sparred with Danny Williams and he said he feels my shots, and I can take his. I'm in a different league to Tony Oakey.

BBN: Tony Oakey stated in a web interview last month that if he can't beat you he's got “no place to go”. He said that because essentially because of your age [Peter is 38] and your inactivity.

PO: He knows himself that his best isn't good enough. He can't take my shots and I'll be too strong for him. I always do well against short come-forward fighters. I'll be able to get him with my combinations.

BBN: Clinton Woods, Britain's top light-heavy, is fighting a rematch with Gonzalez. What do you think about that?

PO: Gonzalez is finished; he's had too many hard fights. Clinton himself has had a lot of hard fights. I know that Clinton will not give me a shot and use the excuse that I'm not in the rankings. If we did fight, I'd stop him in six. Even when I was WBA international champion, I was down to fight Tiozzo but in the end it comes down to the fact that promoters don't won't to pay me money to go and beat their fighter.

BBN: What do you think of the current crop of world light-heavyweight champions?

PO: It's a game of politics. The champions aren't necessarily the best fighters; you've got to have the promoter [to get you the big fights]. I still enjoy the challenge of boxing.

BBN: How will the Oakey fight go?

PO: A lot of fighters talk about ‘lights out' punches. Well, I'm developing for this fight - 'the lights out extension plus' punch. I've tried it out and you're going to see it next week. With me, action in the ring is guaranteed. I like Oakey, but for a few minutes that's going to be put aside.

The Oboh-Oakey bout is chief support to Haye-Bonin. Tickets are available by logging on to www.frankmaloney.com or by calling the box office on 0871 226 1508.

Wil hale
    www.britishboxing.net

ICB Guest

Default Re: Oboh - "I'd stop Clinton Woods in six"

Who are You Peter Oboh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BBN: For those fans who know your name but haven't seen you fight because of your inactivity, can you summarise your strengths as a fighter?

PO: Number one, I don't feel pain. Number two, I don't get tired.

funny bastard

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oboh is the most dangerous fighter in the L/Heavys bar anybody.

Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chad, Clinton and Roy would TKFO of this boy! Fight someone worth the paper they are written on and then shout your mouth off!!!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Oboh is the most dangerous fighter in the L/Heavys bar anybody.

3 years out as well...NO ONE wants to get in the ring with him.
    Should do well later and he is one hard fella

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interestingly , that fight was offered a few years ago Wood Oboh it was turned down by Woods people good move.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oboh's telling Porkies. The last time I remember watching him he looked awfull and knackered.

Funny line though
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Woods will have his hands full in this upcoming rematch with Gonzales. I remember Gonzales showed mental toughness a few years back beating the heavy handed Julian Letterlough, speaking of Letterlough a shame he was murdered Julian was one hell of an exciting fighter to watch , was a nice person had a good sense of humor, I like that quality .

Thread Information