Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Six Nations 2015

With less than a week to go before (IMO) the best annual sporting tournament in the world, what are people's hopes, fears and expectations for this year. With the World Cup coming up, the significance of the games is heightened .... Or they become a double bluff!

Scotland had a good autumn and their new manager seems to have revitalised them. Their traditional high paced forward game has now turned pressure into more points and it's good to see them improving after the frankly awful few years they have suffered.

Italy are steadily improving, they won't threaten the leaderboard yet but they are not the pushovers they have been in the past. The winner of the 6N used to be the team that put the most points onto Italy, but no longer. They have famous victories over France and Scotland recently .... And any team containing the great Sergio Parisse can never be discounted.

France. Simply unbelievable that a country with so much passion, talent, strength in depth and money can be so inconsistent. On paper, you can argue that they are easily the superior northern hemisphere team.... And yet, their coaching is muddled, they lack confidence and they seem mentally weak. One day they will just give up, the next they will annihilate the All Blacks. Who on earth knows which French team will ever turn up (certainly not the French team or coaching staff anyway)

England have more registered players than the next 6 countries in the world added together, so I am not buying any of the talk about an injury crisis. Huge strength in depth (if Wales had nine players out injured, we would be picking students!). Lancaster is a decent man, but doesn't seem to have a clear vision on how England should play. They have never succeeded in playing an open, attacking game, and I suspect they will feel they can't without more first choice players available. Ironically, this may help them as I think they will retreat into their forward based kicking game. They do this really well, are always competitive up front, are tough and cussed and will be as hard to beat as usual.

Wales have a settled team, essentially the same squad that did so well in the last World Cup and have won three Grand Slams and a Championship in the last decade. They've been the leading Northern Hemisphere team for a few years, despite their poor record against the Big Three. They have the quality to win the tournament if they play to their ability for the full 80 minutes, but they seldom actually do that and - being the smallest country in the 6N, they are particularly vulnerable to key injuries. I also really respect what Warren Gatland has done got them, but I do wonder whether teams have worked out how to counter 'Warrenball' and I don't see a lot of new tactics and strategies coming through.

Ireland are the team I'm tipping this year. Settled, high morale, coming off an excellent Autumn series. Good players in all positions and few major weaknesses. Sexton is the on form fly half on the world at the moment and they have a decent draw this year too. I think they will be a major threat in the World Cup and, Joe Schmidt their coach is a real tactical innovator.

Thoughts/views?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Six Nations 2015

My thoughts are you have a dig at England RFU at every opportunity.
    So England battling Italy for the wooden spoon you think?

To be fair our attacking game did whoop NZ two autumns ago and has had some other good results. But not consistent. It's a bit unfair to dismiss our injuries. No Tuilagi, Lawes, Launchbury, Morgan, Parling, Farrell (that one is ok by me), Eastmond, Coles, Tom Wood and others I'm forgetting. Anybody would miss them.
    Corbisiero back finally is a huge plus. I think England's strongest team is capable of dominating in the pack and attacking with some verve. Johnny May is the quickest strike runner in world rugby.
    Tuilagi is a huge loss as he creates space for others, which the likes of May can exploit (as opposed to the horribly out of form Ashton he played with for two years). Our second row of Lawes and Launchbury can really grow together if they can string a few games together but they are out, as well as 3rd choice Parling. So our 2nd row will be 4th and 5th choice.

Morgan out is a big blow too. He was unstoppable in the last Autumn international. Proper rampaging number 8.

I still miss Tom Croft too. Probably our best player IMO. But although he is not currently injured 5 games in two years means a recall is a long way off.

I think England will lost to Wales then win the rest.
    Wales will be good. But come the World Cup will lost to the first SH team they play. Whereas this shitty England team that stink the place out constantly will get to the final.
    Last edited by ryanman; 02-03-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, you've got that wrong ....... I said that England have huge strength in depth, a natural forwards based kicking game, who are always competitive and hard to beat. Dismissing their injury list is a huge compliment. Not sure how you think that's having a dig at them.....

It's also a fact that they haven't managed to consistently unleash their backs, nor even to be sure who their first choice centre combination is. That's not digging them out either.

Bearing in mind my usual one-eyed parochialism, I though my post was remarkably fair and nice about everyone.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    No, you've got that wrong ....... I said that England have huge strength in depth, a natural forwards based kicking game, who are always competitive and hard to beat. Dismissing their injury list is a huge compliment. Not sure how you think that's having a dig at them.....

It's also a fact that they haven't managed to consistently unleash their backs, nor even to be sure who their first choice centre combination is. That's not digging them out either.

Bearing in mind my usual one-eyed parochialism, I though my post was remarkably fair and nice about everyone.
    Yeah ok, you might be right. I'll let you have that one!

Really looking forward to this year's championship. Wales will be strong, Ireland the form team, Scotland improving.
    England have Wales away and Ireland away. That is not helpful. I can see us getting a result in Dublin more than Cardiff though although we will be underdogs in both. I can see England, Ireland and Wales all ending with 1 defeat each.
    Looking forward to several beers this Friday evening and some good rugby and banter.
    2011/12 - 2nd

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The New England Patriots will win the world cup.

El Kabong Guest

Who the what now?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, England have named their team, six changes from the side that beat Australia in November. Just about all of these are enforced by injuries.

Lots of people are installing Wales as big favourites ..... I Don't agree at all. I would have picked many of these players over the ones who are injured ..... Would much rather we faced Farrell, Barritt etc as people like Ford and Burrell have the X factor that can really hurt teams like Wales.

This will be a close game that could go either way IMO. Have to respect the Saesnegs as they ALWAYS turn up, ALWAYS are heard to beat and ALWAYS have a world class pack. I suspect the injuries have forced them to pick a more electric back line and it all could fall into place for them!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May the poorest team win.

Who is that by the way?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Egg chasers are not real men like football players.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ha ha, some nice big hits here;

http://youtu.be/YTaEvCOpon0

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Egg chasers are not real men like football players.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    ha ha, some nice big hits here;

http://youtu.be/YTaEvCOpon0

Can't wait for tonight.
    I don't think England will win.
    Leaving work early, getting the gym done then getting the drinking going a couple of hours before Kick Off.
    2011/12 - 2nd

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on you bunch of flaps!

No excuses.

12 men out injured.
    12 men out injured.
    12 men out injured.

No excuses though. The 12 men England have out injured won't be mentioned. Not by me.
    2011/12 - 2nd

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

England are losing, what a surprise. Beat these welsh wimps.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    England are losing, what a surprise. Beat these welsh wimps.
    What a surprise?? You don't watch much Rugby hey? England are good mate. 2 of the last 3 World Cup finals. Don't tar them with the football brush!
    2011/12 - 2nd

Thread Information