Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The pawing jab in mma

I actually think a pawing jab is better in mma because like Van has always said, and with some validity, that traditional boxing deosn't translate perfectly to mma striking. with that said, IMO you're almost better off to abandon the pure jab and use it as a range finder and a probe to prevent the guy from shooting in. If he tries to shoot, you have your hand out there to intecept his head right away.

Watch Nick Diaz and how effective his pawing jab is as a range finder for his 1-2 combo, and as a preemptive measure for avoiding takedowns. The irony is that you never see anyone try to grab the pawing jab as a means to a throw.

this is a bit offtopic from what we're used to in this forum,, but it doesn't exactly belong in the boxing forum, either.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The pawing jab in mma

A good jab could be used but only against certain styles. Against a takedown artist it is going to be more of a liability. That being said I don't know why grapplers don't attempt to work takedowns off of a good double jab. I'm barely a novice as far as my mma fighting experience but I've often had good luck with pumping a strong jab then shooting for a single leg take down. To me a really good snapping leg kick is to mma what a dominating jab is to boxing. A fighter that can land hard leg kicks and work combos off them can be very effective. You rarely see this employed. I'll take my hat off to Cung Lee this is a tactic he is very good at. Of course there is a risk/reward concerning the possibility of a takedown but I think it is the future of top standup fighters. MMA offers such a small margin of error. As fighters become more and more proficient strikers this margin will decline even more. Quite often now when I watch two really talented fighters it seems they are just waiting to see who will over extend themselves or make a mistake first.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The pawing jab in mma

Meh...I've never been a fan of pawing jabs. They only work against timid opponents. They leave you open for far too many things if you aren't extremely careful. A good stiff jab can do anything a pawing one can do, only better (Except maybe distract.)

The double jab into takedown is just as much a classic in the MMA world as the 1,2,rear kick combo :P

Leg kicks are great (think body shots in boxing only to the extreme). The only problem is that they still leave you open. You need to disguise the kick, and be sharp about it. Throwing solo kicks too often is a one way ticket to the mat courtesy of an overhand right (Sylvia v Rizzo I believe is a good example). And grapplers would love to catch hold of that leg. So, granted, its risky but pays off, but the more complete your skillset, the more effective and easier to mask that leg kicks becomes.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Thread Information