Thread: Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Have to agree with the consensus. Rios beats Alvardo again. I personally think Rios is overrated, but don't think Alvardo is the man to expose him.
    Eh, why is he overrated? He's every bit as good as the other top Jr. welters, including Peterson, D. Garcia and Lucas Matthysse, et al, so I don't get this "massively" overrated bullshit.

BTW, I believe Rios hands little boner his ass.
    Those three mentioned can actually duck.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Have to agree with the consensus. Rios beats Alvardo again. I personally think Rios is overrated, but don't think Alvardo is the man to expose him.
    Eh, why is he overrated? He's every bit as good as the other top Jr. welters, including Peterson, D. Garcia and Lucas Matthysse, et al, so I don't get this "massively" overrated bullshit.

Those three mentioned can actually duck.
    Not for 12 rounds they can't. Lamont I have no doubt won't fight him. He saw how Rios broke his brother down and made him look for a way out

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I rewatched the first fight recently. I scored it the same as Lederman. Rios edged the first but then basically lost every round except the one he stopped Alvarado in. Alvarado boxed as much as he could in the first fight and the second fight will be very similar to the first. Rios wins an entertaining brawl, it may be quicker or longer than episode one lasted. Can't wait to watch it though.
    If I remember right, didn't Rios have some issues, like being weight drained for the Abril fight? I'm not making excuses for Rios, just saying i've never seen him look as bad, and I believe he would kick Abril's ass in a rematch.
    He didn't look great against Alvarado until the end of the penultimate round when he finally landed a few big punches. Maybe he gets through a lot faster this time. Really looking forward to this one even if I have to watch it on a stream.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rios is an almighty twat who repeatedly failed to come in at the agreed weight with both Murray and Abril. He is a dumb boxer and an even dumber individual. As soon as he fights anyone with the sense to outbox him or the patience to counter him he gets annihilated. Rios is a punk. Matthhysse sparks him, Broner sparks him, Marquez sparks him in double quick time.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe overrated is a bit unfair. He's a good top ten junior welterweight. In my opinion, Rios is very beatable by a decent boxer, as we saw with Abril. He's been matched conveniently thus far, other than Abril.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume though he is more suited to being a junior welterweight. The problem is that all the best junior welterweights are in GB's stable. Also, I'm unconvinced that he will be more effective at higher weights--he may have been more threatening when he could physically impose himself at the lower weights. Physicality is a big part of Rios' game.

I will say that I like Rios' inside fighting skills. He's pretty stellar on the inside, using his shoulders etc.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That can only be an exciting fight, no matter the ending. I personally fear a copy/paste of the first bout but the idealist in me thinks that Alvarado, with a few adjustments could edge that one.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe overrated is a bit unfair. He's a good top ten junior welterweight. In my opinion, Rios is very beatable by a decent boxer, as we saw with Abril. He's been matched conveniently thus far, other than Abril.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume though he is more suited to being a junior welterweight. The problem is that all the best junior welterweights are in GB's stable. Also, I'm unconvinced that he will be more effective at higher weights--he may have been more threatening when he could physically impose himself at the lower weights. Physicality is a big part of Rios' game.

I will say that I like Rios' inside fighting skills. He's pretty stellar on the inside, using his shoulders etc.
    I'm not a big fan of Rios by any stretch, but he's much more then just "a good top ten junior welterweight".
    I put him on a paar with the top dogs @ Jr. Welterweight.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    That can only be an exciting fight, no matter the ending. I personally fear a copy/paste of the first bout but the idealist in me thinks that Alvarado, with a few adjustments could edge that one.
    Toss the adjustments out the window, Rios is just too strong for Alvarado.

cheers

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Rios is an almighty twat who repeatedly failed to come in at the agreed weight with both Murray and Abril. He is a dumb boxer and an even dumber individual. As soon as he fights anyone with the sense to outbox him or the patience to counter him he gets annihilated. Rios is a punk. Matthhysse sparks him, Broner sparks him, Marquez sparks him in double quick time.
    Come on Beanz, Rios ain't 'that' bad, yeah he's a twat, but he can fight, and he's a live dog with ANYONE @140.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look at his fights with Anthony Peterson and Miguel Acosta to see what happens when fighters try to outbox him. And don't make a fool of yourself by saying they weren't good fighters

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Look at his fights with Anthony Peterson and Miguel Acosta to see what happens when fighters try to outbox him. And don't make a fool of yourself by saying they weren't good fighters
    They land on his over exposed chin and head again and again. Hooks , uppercuts, lazy jabs it's like someone forgot to give you a knackered air rifle at the coconut shy and you can't miss. Sometimes they catch him with a low blow and he almost crys after dropping. Bam Bam ? Bum Bum is more like it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They land on his over exposed chin and head again and again. Hooks , uppercuts, lazy jabs it's like someone forgot to give you a knackered air rifle at the coconut shy and you can't miss. Sometimes they catch him with a low blow and he almost crys after dropping. Bam Bam ? Bum Bum is more like it.
    I reckon I don't see Rios the same way you do and from the sounds of it, you'll be gleeful if Rios loses to Alvarado Saturday night.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like both these fighters, don't really care who wins. Looking forward to another genuine slugfest.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some people just don't know shit about boxing. Sad

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some people just don't know shit about boxing. Sad
    I agree the type of people who call Froch yellow and a fraud and go on about how he will need the hometown judges help him beat Bute really don't have a clue.
    Hidden Content

Thread Information