Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Deontay Wilder vs Gerald Washington Feb. 25

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Washington looks credible on paper, decent win over Eddie Chambers

BoxRec - Gerald Washington

itd have been nice for wilder to fighter a bigger name but its not bad for a 4 week replacement

I hope wilder has a big fight next mind
    as Eric says, it's not a bad replacement. Makes me laugh when people criticize these guys as if they're a piece of shit . Whereas if this fellah was a Brit, he'd be the second coming of Christ! look at his record and tell me which Brits have better names on their CV's.
    Fury before beating Wlad - NO . Had a World title shot.
    Chisora - NO. well nobody that he's actually beaten. Had a World title shot.
    Hughie Fury - NO. Being lined up for a World Title shot.
    Dillian Whyte - NO. Being touted for a World title shot.
    so before people say "He can't fight" or "He's an ex-tiddlywinks player", think about how you see the above names.
    18-(12 KO)-0-1 is great....HE'S 34 FUCKING YEARS OLD!

That tells me if this guy was going to be somebody he would have done it by now.
    I'm not saying he's gonna do anything. I'm not even saying he's any good. All I'm saying is a.) it's not the worst late replacement and b.) if he was a Brit , he would be (over) rated more so.

El Kabong Guest

I'm not saying he's gonna do anything. I'm not even saying he's any good. All I'm saying is a.) it's not the worst late replacement and b.) if he was a Brit , he would be (over) rated more so.
    True if he was British he'd have more support on here.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Wlad would KO The Atomic Windmill, BUT......
    I think AJ would smoke The Octopus @palmerq @mrbig1 @Batman @pacfan

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    For a short notice replacement it isn't that bad it certainly could have been worse, I can't really blame wilder for taking on someone like this after the original opponent dropped out again :S... It's a shame the original opponent was a bit crap to start with.
    Agreed. At late notice, it's not a bad replacement. Certainly no worse than the original opponent.
    I actually like this opponent better than wawryk( i don't know how to spell polish names :S) at least washington hasn't been destroyed by povetkin, the polish fellow was blown away in a couple of rounds by povetkin who is the only credible opponent he has faced(I think he beat botha too but botha is 100 years old and well past it).. Washingtons record isn't great either, a points win against an aging eddie chambers( i liked eddie btw) and a draw with mansour isn't the best but at least he hasn't been blown away by someone and he is tall, strong and in good condition. Two undefeated americans fighting for the world title is pretty interesting sounding on paper too.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    I think Wlad would KO The Atomic Windmill, BUT......
    I think AJ would smoke The Octopus @palmerq @mrbig1 @Batman @pacfan
    I agree the atomic windmill is not going to unify a lot of belts but I like him he does seem to have a good take anyone on attitude, looks like his managers have other ideas though... I would like to see wilder take on whoever the wbo champion may be after this fight, wilder v fury jr or parker would be pretty fun and a close contest.. Let the winner of joshua/ wladimir real (-fury) title fight deal with king kong.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Washington wouldn't be "the next coming" if a Brit. We have plenty of heavyweights/fighters with sexy records - Gary Cornish, Tom Dallas, Dave Allen, Larry OBoots etc - who are never seen as future world beaters, because the ultimate proof is seeing them fight not looking at records. The same goes for Washington - he's not bad but an obvious ex-American football player that came to boxing late.

British fighters like AJ and Price were decorated amateurs before turning pro. Guys like Chisora and Fury made their name by steadily having success as they moved up in class - area, continental, commonwealth, British, European - before proving themselves at world level. Whyte was a nobody but hit the jackpot by beating AJ in the amateurs, then put his money where his mouth is and made a name for himself.

On this forum only ross thinks Hughie Fury is the second coming.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder has boxed awful opposition since becoming the titleholder (and before then too). So has Joshua.

Tyson Fury, to be fair to him, at least beat Klitschko for the title.

The lack of depth and quality in the heavyweights is mainly to blame for this. There are probably only 4 or 5 good heavyweights out there, and having multiple belts just exposes that shallowness.

wishful thinking, but if there was only one champion, we may get some more exciting matchups going forward instead of this bum of the year roadshows that they have to do at the moment.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For a short notice replacement it isn't that bad it certainly could have been worse, I can't really blame wilder for taking on someone like this after the original opponent dropped out again :S... It's a shame the original opponent was a bit crap to start with.
    Agreed. At late notice, it's not a bad replacement. Certainly no worse than the original opponent.
    I actually like this opponent better than wawryk( i don't know how to spell polish names :S) at least washington hasn't been destroyed by povetkin, the polish fellow was blown away in a couple of rounds by povetkin who is the only credible opponent he has faced(I think he beat botha too but botha is 100 years old and well past it).. Washingtons record isn't great either, a points win against an aging eddie chambers( i liked eddie btw) and a draw with mansour isn't the best but at least he hasn't been blown away by someone and he is tall, strong and in good condition. Two undefeated americans fighting for the world title is pretty interesting sounding on paper too.
    It's not terrible for a fill in and Washington was kept in the background on a couple of Wilder cards with situation like this in mind possibly. It's funny looking at the records now that you mention it. 19 fights in Washingtons comp buries Wilders at the same stage. In fairness though that can be said of many random decent heavyweights. Think only shot Washington has is early as his hands gradually drop and his stamina isn't stellar. On hand speed Wilder may just beat him to the punch every time.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Washington is a better opponent than Wawrzyk. Although it still seems like a very safe opponent choice.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Washington is a better opponent than Wawrzyk. Although it still seems like a very safe opponent choice.
    Considering he has been out of the ring for a considerable amount of time due to a serious injury it is anot acceptable opponent.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Considering he has been out of the ring for a considerable amount of time due to a serious injury it is anot acceptable opponent.
    As a replacement it's better than the original.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

watched a few of his fights and hes not exactly a skilful fighter, in fact his style is pretty poor

but I suppose Wilder isn't much better in that department
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Breazeale vs Ugonoh fight on the undercard will be interesting.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes it will, izu has been looking good at times on parkers undercards although his opposition has been pretty weak(gergory tony did beat carlos takam a good few years ago). Breazale is very big and not terrible so he is in with a good chance, I think this could end up being very close, I am betting on izu to win a decision though(it might go to breazale though:S)

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes it will, izu has been looking good at times on parkers undercards although his opposition has been pretty weak(gergory tony did beat carlos takam a good few years ago). Breazale is very big and not terrible so he is in with a good chance, I think this could end up being very close, I am betting on izu to win a decision though(it might go to breazale though:S)
    Breazeale gets disregarded because AJ took him out but he showed a lot of grit against Mansour. Izu is relatively untested but with KOs like the one over Quarrie whats not to like?

Thread Information