Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pernell Whitaker-Shane Mosley at 135

Whitaker never fought as explosive an offensive fighter at 135 as Shane. At 135 Shane had it all offensively, speed, power, bodywork, combos, everything.

But Whitaker was a much better defensive fighter, more skilled.

So who wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pernell Whitaker-Shane Mosley at 135

I think Pernell beats Mosley for the same reasons as why PBF beats him.

1. Mosley IMO just outmatched his opponents physically, but wasn't top end in skill. Think Roy Jones Jr., but not as smart.

2. Pernell's defense would really frustrate Mosley.
    3. Mosley's lack of defense would be a sitting duck for Pernell to counter him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be a great fight. I don't know, it would be a toss up IMO. Mosley had really good power at 135 and he was faster than lightning, but Pernell might have just been too good overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is what I said in the Floyd-Mosley thread, just substitute Floyd's name with Pernell's, because I feel the exact same way about Whitaker-Mosley:

Floyd by decision, 116-112 sounds about right.

Mosley, for all his obvious physical gifts, never developed a well-rounded style. He was always a straight ahead offensive fighter. He never used his speed and athleticism to develop a great defense. He also has a tendency to become one dimensional with straight right hands.
    Mayweather would win because he is a little bit faster than Mosley, and more importantly, has the technical precision and defensive genius that Mosley lacks.
    Mosley can only fight going forward, Floyd can be effective going forward or backward. He just brings more versatility to the table.
    Floyd can hit Mosley and avoid getting hit that much in return, Mosley can't hit Floyd without leaving himself wide open to counters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    This is what I said in the Floyd-Mosley thread, just substitute Floyd's name with Pernell's, because I feel the exact same way about Whitaker-Mosley:

Floyd by decision, 116-112 sounds about right.

Mosley, for all his obvious physical gifts, never developed a well-rounded style. He was always a straight ahead offensive fighter. He never used his speed and athleticism to develop a great defense. He also has a tendency to become one dimensional with straight right hands.
    Mayweather would win because he is a little bit faster than Mosley, and more importantly, has the technical precision and defensive genius that Mosley lacks.
    Mosley can only fight going forward, Floyd can be effective going forward or backward. He just brings more versatility to the table.
    Floyd can hit Mosley and avoid getting hit that much in return, Mosley can't hit Floyd without leaving himself wide open to counters.
    Great post I think this is right on the dot. I though that Mayweather got his punches out there faster as well, but he never wasted his time throwing meaningless shoe shiners on opponents to demonstrate his speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another thing about Mosley is though he is a physically fast he didn't seem mentally equipped to think fast in the ring meaning he was fluid in the ring. You see Mayweather or Pernell to less of a degree and if there is a even a split second of an opening the opponent is getting hit while Mosley either couldn't anticipate or didn't have the focus to take advantage of the same situations other fighters of similar speed could. I felt Leonard was the same way to a far lesser extent, and Meldrick Taylor as well.. its almost as if they concentrated too much on throwing their damned combinations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    It would be a great fight. I don't know, it would be a toss up IMO. Mosley had really good power at 135 and he was faster than lightning, but Pernell might have just been too good overall.
    my thoughts exactly! Definite toss up, both two of the best lightweights ever IMO.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    my thoughts exactly! Definite toss up, both two of the best lightweights ever IMO.
    what about duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    what about duran
    I meant amongst the best. Obviously throw JCC and Duran into it.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    what about duran
    I meant amongst the best. Obviously throw JCC and Duran into it.
    oh ok bro nvm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never was impressed enough with JCC to put him up there my top 4 would be

Mayweather, Duran, Mosley, ODLH with any of them beating JCC.

Thread Information