Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exclamation Do you give!

Do you give to charity here's a story 2 of may friends are landscape gardeners, they went to look at a job
    a large job. It was a grand house over looking the river Dee any how the job was to large for them, in talking to the owner they asked him his line of work.He worked for Oxfam head of distribution he told them it was a really good well paid job.
    I no were this house is it's a lovely place, I don't begrudge the guy his house but,is this a case of charity
    begins at home.All the old dears give there time freely in them Oxfam shops, do they no they are fund raising to keep some people in splendiferous life styles.
    So when you give money to charity, how much money goes to the people that really need it does it make
    me think twice yes it does.
    Last edited by Dia bando; 04-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do you give!

Just because he has a big house does not mean he is overpaid. He could have earned the money in another job. The administration is normally kept a minimum. Charity organisations do not normally pay well in comparison to others sectors such as statutory or even private sector at that level. So I would not think too much of it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Just because he has a big house does not mean he is overpaid. He could have earned the money in another job. The administration is normally kept a minimum. Charity organisations do not normally pay well in comparison to others sectors such as statutory or even private sector at that level. So I would not think too much of it.
    I under stand some top jobs in some charity s pay over a 100k, and it sounds daft but it could be true.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I under stand some top jobs in some charity s pay over a 100k, and it sounds daft but it could be true.
    It is not daft, the need to attract entrepreneurial type managers who can income generate. I know a lot of charities do a good trade in clothes.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its true though, like Master says; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys running the show.

Some of these ceo's would earn the same generating the income they do for any big business but they are all usually over paid and over protected at the cost of the shareholders.

Choose who you give to carefully, so your money goes straight to the front line, the best two in my understanding are Medicines sans frontiers and the Fred Hollows foundation.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Its true though, like Master says; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys running the show.

Some of these ceo's would earn the same generating the income they do for any big business but they are all usually over paid and over protected at the cost of the shareholders.

Choose who you give to carefully, so your money goes straight to the front line, the best two in my understanding are Medicines sans frontiers and the Fred Hollows foundation.
    The sad fact for me a lot of people give up a lot of there time for free,in there charity shops with out theses people the fat cats don't get a fat pay check.
    Pretty bad for the moral for the giving charity workers, a sad state of affairs to my mind you could
    say hypercritical and condescending to boot.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a good CEO would do is keep admin cost to a minimum so that the majority of every pound goes to the the people that most need it. Administration is a cost that will always arise. Volunteers do the work on that basis, they may have free time, may need the work experience. Still do not understand your logic.

I do not give money to charity, I give my time which is worth considerably more.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a good CEO would do is keep admin cost to a minimum so that the majority of every pound goes to the the people that most need it. Administration is a cost that will always arise. Volunteers do the work on that basis, they may have free time, may need the work experience. Still do not understand your logic.

I do not give money to charity, I give my time which is worth considerably more.
    My logic is I feel people having the piss taken out of them giving them charity's all that free labour,
    I feel a lot of people would be very disappointed if they new how much a CEO cost.
    This is just a little de-bait that 1 or 2 may have some interest in that's all no more.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My logic is I feel people having the piss taken out of them giving them charity's all that free labour,
    I feel a lot of people would be very disappointed if they new how much a CEO cost.
    This is just a little de-bait that 1 or 2 may have some interest in that's all no more.
    Anyone doing voluntary work are doing it for a good reason and I am sure most would not care what anyone was earning, just as long as the vast majority of the money went to the people most in need.

Now give me a job as a CEO.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with Andre and Master on this one....do you want Oxfam to be entirely run by volunteers? If you don't put the right kind of money for the job then it is likely you'll have some buffoon in charge who will not get the same result as someone who is very good at their job. As you have seen with the exposure of those Kony 2012 jokers, if you don't have the right management then you will often end up with high costs and little of the money actually getting to the place where it needs to be.

When chosen well someone earning this kind of money can be a great asset to a charity, but it needs to be someone who could earn much more in business and is doing this because it is charity work, rather than someone just there for the paycheque. Whether they are worth 100k largely depends on the individual and their experience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I was super rich I would go to a Cancer research charity (or some other worthy charity) and say right here's £500,000 go and buy loads of kit/medicine/hire new staff/do more tests on me etc. I'd want to see my money do some good.

I'm wouldn't write a cheque and hand it over you just don't know what's really happening with the money.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I donate a decent amount of my income each year. I help out friends that do runs and walks. If I want to give independently of that I check up on Charity Navigator, which evaluates charities on their abilities to fulfill their mission statements and which % of the money goes to overhead and what goes to actual work.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post
    If I was super rich I would go to a Cancer research charity (or some other worthy charity) and say right here's £500,000 go and buy loads of kit/medicine/hire new staff/do more tests on me etc. I'd want to see my money do some good.

I'm wouldn't write a cheque and hand it over you just don't know what's really happening with the money.
    I would put the money in a bond of some type and let the charity live off the interest forever

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would put the money in a bond of some type and let the charity live off the interest forever
    Good idea that.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good idea that.
    That is what I intend to do when I win the lottery.

Thread Information