Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What are some ways to improve punching stamina?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What are some ways to improve punching stamina?

I've got a pretty good deal of power and speed in my punches, but the only problem is it's hard to throw them like I do and last for 3 minutes. After about 2 of 3 minutes, my muscles get to aching and feeling tired. I can only go for about 3 or 4 rounds until my shoulders and chest are worn out. (Note: I train about every other day or once every 2 days) will training every day help out the stamina on my punches?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What are some ways to improve punching stamina?

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    I've got a pretty good deal of power and speed in my punches, but the only problem is it's hard to throw them like I do and last for 3 minutes. After about 2 of 3 minutes, my muscles get to aching and feeling tired. I can only go for about 3 or 4 rounds until my shoulders and chest are worn out. (Note: I train about every other day or once every 2 days) will training every day help out the stamina on my punches?
    Could be your using too much force at once. When shadowboxing, are you trying to hit as fast as you possibly can? Are ya all tensed up? If so, slow down a little and relax. You're also probably trying see how hard you can punch on the bag every time, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

heavy bag intervals are probably a good way to go. its working for me

basically start easy - do five 1minute rounds of structured hitting of the bag, with a 1 minute rest in between each round. do this for a few training sessions.

when you can handle that comfortably, step it up to 2 min rounds, then 3 min rounds and so on. its basically up to you.

intervals are proven to be really effective for stamina in many, many sports.

also buy a cheap egg timer or somethin to alert you at the end of each round, so you can concentrate on hitting the bag instead of worrying about the time.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    So basicly your doing your bag work for 2-3 minutes over 3-4 rounds and your getting muscle fatigue over your cheast and shoulders.

The solution is simple... keep it up until you progress and become fitter... when you do... do more and work harder... you've simply started to reach your mental and physical limit when you feel too tired to go on... thats what training is. you put your body under stress so that it recovers and adapts when you are at rest... theres no magic exercise to make you suddenly able to do 12 3 minutes... just alot of what your doing now, for a long time...

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are probably punching too much with your arms and not enough with your body- especially the legs. When you throw punches you want the arm- the fist- to be driven by the torque created by the twist of the hips or waist.
    Try this: stand near the bag, your feet as you would have them in your basic stance. Bend your arms so that the elbows are at your hips, forearms parallel to the floor. Your weight should be evenly distributed,on the balls of the feet. Starting slowly, put all your wt on one foot or the other and turn on it, using that leg/side of the body like the hinge side of a door frame. Let your hip drive your arm/fist; shift the wt to the other leg and turn (hard, sharply) in that direction. Do this again and again building speed as you get the feel; once you've got the sense of it you'll be suprised at how much longer, faster and harder you can punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the things i see is most fighters will waste so much energy when fighting. i see all kinds of slipping punches that arent even there and wiggling of the arms, randomly bouncing around the ring: this kind of thing does have a price and you will start to feel it sooner or later no matter how conditioned you are. look at joe louis and notice how much energy he wastes. the answer is none. people like to say he moves around like a stiff zombie but he really is just being economical. in this way, joe could probably box 70 rounds straight since he is so smooth out there.

my point is, the style in which you guys box with these days is the cause of your stamina problems. your style uses up so much energy in order to pull off that you absolutely have to excerise like a triathlete. i tend to just stand in front of my opponent, not bouncing, not shaking, selecting my punches and specfic defensive reactions carefully. sure i look boring (thats what im told) but i can go longer than most and think with more clarity since im not occupying my mind with all kinds of crazy movements for my body.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once again Thomasis right on the money: if you take the time to read up on and study the old-time greats and how they fought and, more important, how they thought, you'll learn that efficiency in motion was a prime consideration. You only slippunches that are thrown and then only when you intend to do something. You throw punches to land them and any judge that gives credit for punches thrown and missed is a detriment to the sport.
    Off my soap-box, I still suggest the exercise I mentionen above

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ah jeez...

thats seems to be the only way fights ever get scored. you know sometimes i wish we could just go back to the barknuckle days. scoring to the man who looks the most busy just so happens to be a natural consequence of the 15/12 round limit. like a damn ballroom dancing contest or something.

Thread Information