Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who do you want to see Cotto fight next?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Cotto's next fight...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Miguel Cotto's next fight...

ESPN put out this article on who Miguel Cotto's next opponent should be on his return bout in September, they listed some interesting names:

-Victor Ortiz
    -Alfredo Angulo
    -Peter Quillen
    -Robert Guerrero
    -Andre Berto
    -Ishe Smith
    -K9 Bundrage

I will add on the kicker of Canelo Alvarez, they mentioned that they didnt think that fight would happen as there is talk of a Canelo VS Mayweather. But for this discussion lets go ahead and include Canelo Alvarez as a possible opponent.

-I'll go ahead and discard Bundrage as I think Cotto is only interested in fighting bigger names, I could see him fighting Smith to get a belt again and position for a bigger fight in the future but again at this point in his career its smarter to go for bigger paydays.

-What ever you do Miguel, dont go up to meet Peter Quillen. Cotto is not a true 154lb he has no business going up to meet the champion at 160. I think Quillen would be way too big and too strong for the aging Cotto. This fight would not go the distance.

-Alfredo Angulo is an interesting match up. Cotto bring more to the table but Angulo is bigger and has serios KO power. Angulo's last fight was a tough one and showed Angulo maybe starting to slow down. Angulo wouldnt be a huge draw but as the fight is going to be in N.Y. and they will be running the whole P.R. VS Mexico rivalry. It would definitely sell. This is a tough one to call, I can see Angulo winning via Margarito style pressure that could give Cotto flashbacks. On the other hand if Cotto were to box like he did in Margarito/Cotto II I could see him winning the same way. Could be a great fight here.

-Robert Guerrero I think would give Cotto alot of problems. He is taller and while he is still coming up in weight I think would be able to crowd and make it an ugly fight from on the inside. I can see Guerrero winning a fight the same way he beat Berto.

I think Cotto's best chances for victory in an exciting fight are Victor Ortiz & Andre Berto. Cotto can break down Ortiz inside of 9 rounds, after that it may still go the distance but Ortiz would be broken and fighting to survive again the pressure of Miguels body attack. Versus Berto, I think Cotto could actually knock him out. Berto would get softened up to the body and go down from a left hook to the chin.

-Cotto VS Alvarez would be a big money fight. I'd be surprised if Alvarez went to NY but if he did it would show some pretty serious nuts from the young Champion. Cotto would need to box off the back foot the entire fight. While I thnk they are around the same height, Alvarez is obviously the bigger stronger man. He would need it in the first couple of round as I think Cotto tags him with some serios power shots to the chin and body. Cotto's best chance for victory would be in the first 5 rounds when his legs are fresh and his power is at full capacity. Alvarez would need to display the same head movement he showed in the Trout fight to avoid the Power shots from Cotto. Making him miss and attacking to the body will help him as he uses his body to tire out Cotto for the 2nd half of the fight. If Cotto doesnt get a big lead in the first half of the fight with a knockdown or KO's Alvarez completely, the 2nd half of the fight is where it will be lost. If Canelo couldnt knockout Sugar Shane I dont think he is going to knockout Cotto after the 8th round but I do think he will rough him up and win a de decisive majority decision.

Who do you want to see him fight next and why?
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Miguel Cotto's next fight...

-Victor Ortiz - TOSS EM FIGHT
    -Alfredo Angulo - COTTO WIN - UD or MD
    -Peter Quillen - CLOSE COTTO WIN
    -Robert Guerrero - COTTO LOSS - UD
    -Andre Berto - COTTO WIN - UD
    -Ishe Smith - COTTO WIN - KO
    -K9 Bundrage COTTO WIN - KO

I feel like Victor Ortiz and Robert Guerrero would be tough fights for Cotto. I only say this because Cotto is no longer in his prime. Prime Cotto IMO would walk over all the list except for maybe Guerrero.

I still think Cotto can pull enough of his old self to get a victory over Ortiz.. it all depends on Ortiz, if the Ortiz that beat Berto shows up he can pull a decision or maybe even stop Cotto. If the Ortiz that lost to Maidana and Josesito show up Cotto get an easy victory

Robert at this point in Cotto's carrer would get an easy victory much like the Trout fight vs Cotto.

Cotto would bully and stop K9 and Ishe. He would also beat Berto UD.

Angulo would be a good fight but I think Cotto won't have trouble outboxing him.

Quillen would be a good fight I have not seen much of kid chocolate but from the few fights I'd say Cotto would beat him in a close decision.

Now the Canelo fight... This is a fight that I give Cotto no chance. Cotto is not what he used to be and Canelo is in the prime of his career he would punish Cotto and stop him. I actually would not like to see this fight since I'm a big Cotto and Canelo fan. I also see no sense. This will just prove Canelo can beat an old Cotto? ..

Would actually love to see Cotto fight one of those lesser opponent maybe Ishe and retire as a champion.

But the Ortiz fight intrigues me more cause of how competitive I think it can be. Also that not knowing what can happen feeling.
    Last edited by outspoken; 05-26-2013 at 05:35 PM.

jon09 Guest

According to Boxrec he is fighting Bundrage on 9/28. He should have fought him when he had the IBF title not now instead of Trout for a title he already lost to Mayweather. Stupid matchmakers, promoters, Cotto and managers for waiting until now to make it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A tune upish match is exactly what he needs to see if its still burning for him. One where things are going his way cause he is a few steps away from stepping stone. When you enter and conclude your last fight with retirement talk you should take hard stock. Angulo has Lara next...Ortiz, forget him he has his own self evaluation to do...Quillin, Cotto would be sliced and diced, could be his final fight...Berto, let him rebuild first...Smith, eh but it'll be totally up to Mayweather and he has a trinket. Delvin Rodriquez was talking Cotto Friday.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bunderage for a strap then Saul for a big Ppv which he wanted to do but lost to Trout then retire after the defeat.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

jon09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Bunderage for a strap then Saul for a big Ppv which he wanted to do but lost to Trout then retire after the defeat.
    What strap? Bundrage lost to Ishe Smith for the IBF strap. I'm sure there will probably be some made up belt for him like a Super diamond IBF belt when the bout takes place. Then he will face Canelo for Diamond vs Diamond belt in New York.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    What strap? Bundrage lost to Ishe Smith for the IBF strap. I'm sure there will probably be some made up belt for him like a Super diamond IBF belt when the bout takes place. Then he will face Canelo for Diamond vs Diamond belt in New York.
    OK Smith then, I get lost with these titles which do not mean anything but do to sell some Ppv fights.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow... excellent thread, and well thought-out analysis in the first few posts. A very, very interesting list. Personally, I've always wanted to see Cotto face Berto. That would be an excellent, very much crowd-pleasing fight. Mostly because of their styles. Berto's speed can give Cotto problems, but if Cotto could pull up another performance like he had against Floyd, I like Miguel's chances.

I'd also like to see Cotto vs Victor Ortiz, or Angulo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Wow... excellent thread, and well thought-out analysis in the first few posts. A very, very interesting list. Personally, I've always wanted to see Cotto face Berto. That would be an excellent, very much crowd-pleasing fight. Mostly because of their styles. Berto's speed can give Cotto problems, but if Cotto could pull up another performance like he had against Floyd, I like Miguel's chances.

I know you can be unbiased...even for P.R. fighters, do you whole heartedly believe that Cotto has a Mayweather level performance left in him? He looked really flat against Trout. I think Cotto beats Berto but I think his experiance and the fact that he has more tools in the bag than Berto, if it relied on him having another super performance which is what it was against Maywehather, I dont think Cotto has that left anymore. That is why I think he needs to stay away from Guerrero, Quillen, and Alvarez. Even the Angulo fight is a risk, Cotto is a better boxer but Angulo is younger, fresher, bigger, longer reach, and huge punching power, if he loses focus even a little it could be the end of the night for Cotto.

Berto & Ortiz are the best options for exciting fights that end in victory for Cotto. If he really is fighting Bundrage as someone mentioned, well that like 10 steps backwards. Thats not even stepping stone status, its just two barely relevent fighters going at it more than a few years late ala Hopkins VS Calzaghe, RJJ II, etc, etc.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does Ortiz even want to box anymore?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    Does Ortiz even want to box anymore?
    Yes he wants to make big money.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I know you can be unbiased...even for P.R. fighters, do you whole heartedly believe that Cotto has a Mayweather level performance left in him? He looked really flat against Trout. I think Cotto beats Berto but I think his experiance and the fact that he has more tools in the bag than Berto, if it relied on him having another super performance which is what it was against Maywehather, I dont think Cotto has that left anymore. That is why I think he needs to stay away from Guerrero, Quillen, and Alvarez. Even the Angulo fight is a risk, Cotto is a better boxer but Angulo is younger, fresher, bigger, longer reach, and huge punching power, if he loses focus even a little it could be the end of the night for Cotto.

Berto & Ortiz are the best options for exciting fights that end in victory for Cotto. If he really is fighting Bundrage as someone mentioned, well that like 10 steps backwards. Thats not even stepping stone status, its just two barely relevent fighters going at it more than a few years late ala Hopkins VS Calzaghe, RJJ II, etc, etc.

Short answer: No.

I thought Cotto looked flat against Trout, also. It definitely wasn't the same level performance he turned in against Floyd. To be clear, I would be thrilled to see Cotto prove me wrong. But the reality is that Cotto's been in many wars, and he's not on the uphill side of the hill anymore. Having said that, I can't blame Cotto for fighting a Bundrage at this point. I'd like to see him follow that up with a higher profile fight, but I'd also rather wait and see how Cotto looks when he gets back in the ring.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cotto sucks and so does ortiz.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto beats Bundrage and he beats......well that's pretty much it. The rest beat him. He could maybe out work Smith and get the win against him. But him beating anybody else is hard to make a case for. Quillen I think would literally sent him out on a stretcher

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is passed it, my friends. If he wants a big money-fight before he retires, he should face Canelo, although it will probably end badly for him.

Thread Information