Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default cardio help..

alright. im 19, a fairly new boxer, and right now i weigh 131, im trying to move up to 145. my question is, how much cardio should i be doing?

if i fight, it wont be for atleast a month so im not too too worried about being in absolute fight shape right now, im more worried about learning technique and putting on more weight.

my current caloric intake is 3500 over 5 meals.

tuesday thursday and saturday i go to the boxing gym and lift, mainly lifting tue and thurs. all 3 days i am constantly working for 3 hours hitting speedbag, shadowboxing, hitting heavy bags, working with trainer etc.

on my off days at home i usually just do light cardio except on days im not sore and have full energy i like to do around 5 rounds on the heavy bag followed by 3 4 min rounds of shadowboxing

my question is.. how much cardio should i be doing? i dont wanna overdo it and be losing weight bc my goal is to GAIN. but i want to start running every other day but idk if thatll hurt me or not.. if anyone can help me out with this id greatly appreciate it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: cardio help..

How tall are you? And why do you want to gain?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How many rounds are you going to fight? Run that many rounds per day. At 19 that should get you in reasonable shape in a month. It is good that you are focusing on learning to box. And I, too, would like to know why you want to gain 15 pounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    How many rounds are you going to fight? Run that many rounds per day. At 19 that should get you in reasonable shape in a month. It is good that you are focusing on learning to box. And I, too, would like to know why you want to gain 15 pounds.
    Im 5' 11". Ive always been very slim, and so my main goal is to put more bulk on, although i want to box. that is why i want to gain weight while i box.. it just sucks because i can tell that lifting makes my speed slow down, i have to regain it by shadowboxing a lot

that sounds like a good idea. im also a huge fan of joe frazier and he said to run the same amount of minutes the fight will last so if a fight is 5 rounds run the time the 5 rounds will last.. im an amateur right now and i believe the fights are either two 3 minute rounds or three 2 minute rounds..

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate you're not going to put a stone on in a month... not good weight anyway and unless you're training like a body builder a weights program can help your speed. If implimented correctly.

What do you think moves your skeleton? Muscles... the more force they can output the faster you can be!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What Adm said. You will not put 15 lbs on effectively in that short of a time. If you do want to limit weight loss, maximize efficiency in cardio though in the interim, then consider doing only sprinting. And be sure to fuel up extensively before and after.

Look up types of HIIT sprinting, as in tabatas etc to consider. Shortest possible time done, maximum benefit. Assuming you are fightin an amateur 3-4 rd match would be best. Should be lots of links on this site, and certainly on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    What Adm said. You will not put 15 lbs on effectively in that short of a time. If you do want to limit weight loss, maximize efficiency in cardio though in the interim, then consider doing only sprinting. And be sure to fuel up extensively before and after.

Look up types of HIIT sprinting, as in tabatas etc to consider. Shortest possible time done, maximum benefit. Assuming you are fightin an amateur 3-4 rd match would be best. Should be lots of links on this site, and certainly on the web.
    thanks a lot, ill deffinitely look into that. deffinitely makes sense if i can maintain the same cardio endurance and lose less calories why not right?

but can anyone tell me HOW i should be lifting? you said not to lift like a bodybuilder, what did you mean by that?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lwhit26 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

thanks a lot, ill deffinitely look into that. deffinitely makes sense if i can maintain the same cardio endurance and lose less calories why not right?

but can anyone tell me HOW i should be lifting? you said not to lift like a bodybuilder, what did you mean by that?
    lol wut? I did no such thing. In fact, if gaining weight and mass and strength is your goal, heavy lifting would be one of the best approaches. The problem lays in that in requires a lot of recovery time. And having a week already busy with boxing training and additional cardio, you'll be hard pressed to find that time. But if you can manage to pick and choose properly among the programs to get sufficient recovery, you can do it.

For a good introductory program into heavy lifting I would recommend Starting Strength. You might want to google that and it's creator Mark Ripptoe for more info. But if you are fighting in a month, it will definitely be too much to try to take on. I'd just focus on training and building cardio until you have more time between matches to introduce that sort of intensity...and when cardio isn't as important.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 10-28-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

High Fructose Corn Syrup will do the trick..You will put weight on believe me.It enters the body not as a typical sugar does(being broken down by liver),so it's skipping the metabolic process..There is a Princeton University study on this so you can read more..It's molecular structure is different and it stores as fat immediately... Try and buy it in liquid syrup form from your local supermarket...It should be located in the section that has honey,sugar and artificial sweetners...

link>>Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thinks the best cardio exercises are,.
    Running
    Swimming
    Step Aerobics
    Rock Climbing
    Bicycling
    Walking

Pasadena Personal Trainer
    Last edited by Alexbit; 11-26-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Thread Information