Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: British RBR Action - Four big title fights!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default British RBR Action - Four big title fights!

Evning All, just thought I'd throw up a preview of this weekend's action from the little islands next to Europe, and it is a doozy of a weekend of boxing. Friday night kicks us off with British Super Featherweight champion Carl Johanneson looking to avenge a defeat, as he takes on the European Super Featherweight champion Leva Kirakosyan at the Barnsley Metrodome.

Then on Saturday, we have the big Sports Network card from the O2 Arena in London with Amir Khan v Willie Limond for the Commonwealth Lightweight title, Matt Skelton v Michael Sprott for the Commonwealth Heavyweight title and Nicky Cook v Steve Luevano for the WBO Featherweight title. Also likely to appear at some point during the evening is Kevin Mitchell's bout against Alexander Hrulev for IBF and WBO Inter-continental Super Featherweight titles. And maybe even a bit from Bradley Pryce v Anthony Small for the Commonwealth Light Middleweight title.

Previews will be posted tomorrow for the main fights, so pull up a pew, grab a beer, and hopefully some of the best of british won't disappoint.
    On Friday action begins at 10pm UK and 5pm EST, with Saturday night's fare beginning at 8pm UK, or 3pm EST.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: British RBR Action - Four big title fights!

Thanks in advance, Rhun.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC#570 Rhun job well done mate...

Really looking forward to Khans 'bout this Sat....

Oh! yeah! Cooks gonna blast out Luevano.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats a nice card. CC for the RBR. The Cook Vs. Luevano one looks good.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've actually got a meeting with work this morning (shock, horror) so I am going to have to wait till this afternoon to get those previews done, but they are coming I promise you, though if my Luevano profile is a bit sketchy....gimme a break cause I have never seen him lose....yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really looking forward to this weekend

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight 1: Friday Night, 10pm UK time, 5pm EST.

Carl Johanneson (26-2, 18 KOs) is a journalist's nightmare, as a boxer who is quietly spoken, and likes to do all his talking right in the ring. A big puncher who proved he has 12-round stamina last time out with a comprehensive points win over Ricky Burns, Johanneson will be looking to avenge his last defeat which was to Kirakosyan back in 2004. Since then, the well-travelled Yorkshireman has gone from strength to strength winning central area and British titles, with probably his best performance coming in a four-round demolition of Billy Corcoran. Despite him being a big favourite to take the european title from Kirakosyan, this is likely to be his toughest fight to date, if he is to come through and gain his revenge, and fighting in a packed Barnsley Metrodome will surely give him a boost.

Leva Kirakosyan (25-4, 16KOs) is also a big puncher, and is undefeated since a defeat to Michael Gomez, in the fight before he beat Johanneson. Kirakosyan also held the WBF Super Feather belt, which was Johanneson's first title, but the Spain-based Armenian really claimed his first big win in March, claiming the vacant European title in a 3 round battering of Antonio Joao Bento. At 5 years older than Johanneson, Kirakosyan will know that losing the belt will probably see him slip into journeyman status, so has all the motivation he needs to upset the home fighter. Kirakosyan's right hand has finished a number of fighters, including Johanneson in the first fight, so that will be what he will be looking to land as soon as possible, but at a far outsider, he'll have to prove the bookies wrong to retain his strap.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The bookies must have got this wrong. Carl can't be the fav. Kirakosyan is the champ, in form, can seriously bang, has already done him in 1 round...Gomez was in his pomp and stopped Kirakosyan cause of an injury, if i remember right, and said he's the hardest puncher he's ever faced

I'm a fan of Carl but he defintely seems a bit chinny. Hope i'm wrong big time.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

will be watching them live, bu CC again for the effort for the oens who wont be able ot..

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    The bookies must have got this wrong. Carl can't be the fav. Kirakosyan is the champ, in form, can seriously bang, has already done him in 1 round...Gomez was in his pomp and stopped Kirakosyan cause of an injury, if i remember right, and said he's the hardest puncher he's ever faced

I'm a fan of Carl but he defintely seems a bit chinny. Hope i'm wrong big time.
    Yup, I see what you mean, but I still want Johanneson to win, despite how hard he was to interview he seems like a nice guy, and as my dad's family is from Leeds I feel I ought to give him my support. But maybe not my cheeky £5 bet...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how long til this fight happens?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    how long til this fight happens?
    Ok guys...the previews are on now so I'd refill my beer, grab a snack, and it'll be fight time in 5 or 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ringwalk time, and Johanneson with his usual Leeds football chant as he begins his ringwalk. Looks realy focussed, and then slips to Gabrielle's Rise Again. To be honest the more I see him the more I fancy his chances. Ok, well maybe I'm bobbing back and forth, this could well be a pickem fight. Kirakosyan has the old fashioned flannel robe, and looks like there's a towel on his head. He comes out to the Armenian national anthem, and there are a fair few boos for him around the arena. Ok, let's see how it goes, next up it's fight time.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 1:

Kirakosyan has about 5 people with him at ringside...the cheapskate wouldn't buy tickets I guess. December 2004 was the last meeting, will Johanneson turn that over. High guard and long jabs for the opening for Johanneson. Kira digs a shot to the ribs. And again, Johanneson will have to watch that one. Wild right from Kira goes behind Johan. Johan jabbing well, but an understandable cautious opening. Covers up as Kirakosyan digs a hook upstairs, then a body shot. Some of thes Johan jabs are getting through, but a flurry of body shots from Kira have Johan backtracking. Those look hard shots. Uppercut from Kira, and a hook to the body. Johan trying to work the jab, and a body shot, but not much venom. His guard remains very high. Hard body shot again from Kira.

Kira takes round 1.
    10-9

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Round 2:

Kira's body shots are huge, even compared to Johanneson. Johan still working the jab, but follows with a hook this time. High guard from Johan catching most of these Kira hooks. Left to the armpit from Kira. Big right and a body shot, and Johanneson is covering up. Ref has a word with them both. Uppercut from Johan finds guard, then a body shot. Two good uppercuts from Kira, and as he hooks Johan clings on.Kira looking very confident. Good movement as Johan misses two straights then an uppercut. Johanneson needs to establish himself, and a huge left uppercut puts Johan down. Bell as he goes down.

Big round to Kira, he looks rattled, and nose bleeding.
    20-17 Kira

Thread Information