Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Andre Ward speaks on his lack of fights!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Andre Ward speaks on his lack of fights!

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I really think ward has very little to offer, the only thing being that he is very good at what he does
    ...which is boxing and winning fights.

I've never seen Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods, or any other top athlete have to play a character and act a fool to get signed to the big leagues. People flocked to see those guys because they had talent that was off the charts, and teams signed them because they helped them win.

Nobody shit on Tiger Woods when he was destroying the competition in tournaments where it wasn't even close. Nobody told him "hey why don't you try to putt with your 9 iron to make it more interesting." I've never heard anyone ever tell Peyton Manning that, when winning in the last minute of the game, he should go for a hail mary pass to run up the board instead of taking a knee and running down the clock, because it would be more entertaining.

In all these sports, there's no expectation for an athlete other than to win the game. People flock to see the sport played on the highest level. Andre Ward is boxing on the highest level. He's the best guy in the sport now not named Mayweather. He's whipped almost all the best fighters at his weight class, and his weight class is beaming with talent right now.

So to suggest that he doesn't have a "good product" or that he should be out there playing a character is just sad. It shows that boxing is more pro wrestling than it is a sport.
    Its the cheating that makes his fights boring. He mauls, holds, elbows and headbuts to slow the action.

Tiger woods doesnt pick the ball up and place it in the hole with his hand. He doesnt need to cheat. Its Wards cheating that is the main problem.
    Its up to the refs to enforce the laws. Athletes will cheat if they think they will get away with it. Its the same in all sports.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    I really think ward has very little to offer, the only thing being that he is very good at what he does

I've never seen Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods, or any other top athlete have to play a character and act a fool to get signed to the big leagues. People flocked to see those guys because they had talent that was off the charts, and teams signed them because they helped them win.

Nobody shit on Tiger Woods when he was destroying the competition in tournaments where it wasn't even close. Nobody told him "hey why don't you try to putt with your 9 iron to make it more interesting." I've never heard anyone ever tell Peyton Manning that, when winning in the last minute of the game, he should go for a hail mary pass to run up the board instead of taking a knee and running down the clock, because it would be more entertaining.

In all these sports, there's no expectation for an athlete other than to win the game. People flock to see the sport played on the highest level. Andre Ward is boxing on the highest level. He's the best guy in the sport now not named Mayweather. He's whipped almost all the best fighters at his weight class, and his weight class is beaming with talent right now.

So to suggest that he doesn't have a "good product" or that he should be out there playing a character is just sad. It shows that boxing is more pro wrestling than it is a sport.
    Its the cheating that makes his fights boring. He mauls, holds, elbows and headbuts to slow the action.

Tiger woods doesnt pick the ball up and place it in the hole with his hand. He doesnt need to cheat. Its Wards cheating that is the main problem.
    Its up to the refs to enforce the laws. Athletes will cheat if they think they will get away with it. Its the same in all sports.
    Yes and while he continues to cheat he will be in the shadows because he keeps turning the fans off.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jordan, Gretzky, Manning, Woods didn't have to break the rules to achieve their dominance in their respective sports. Woods didn't stand have an air can to blast when other golfers were teeing off. Jordan didn't trip opponents to steal the ball. Manning didn't need to rely on the hometown refs looking the other way at the facemask or jersey grabbing to have a successful offense. These guys were all great because they had the natural talents to be exceptional AND played within the rules.

Ward doesn't have that. Ward is more like the Sean Avery or the Ron Hextall of boxing. Boxing at the highest level means you follow the rules and succeed based what you do within the rules not what dirty tactics you can get away with because the refs turn a blind eye to the local fighter.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward will not change his style therefore he has to take risks and take on dangerous fighters to get his appeal up again. That means moving up light heavy and go abroad. He should stop feeling sorry for himself and do something positive by being active.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Ward will not change his style therefore he has to take risks and take on dangerous fighters to get his appeal up again. That means moving up light heavy and go abroad. He should stop feeling sorry for himself and do something positive by being active.
    He needs to push for names in his own division. Try and unify the titles. It will mean going over old ground and probably taking a lesser share of a purse but needs must.

I remember years ago that Jones jr had been a champ for years and his first fight that was televised in the UK was agains Bryant Brannon in 96 on Eurosport. Jones wasnt a big draw back then either. Or at least there wasnt much nterest in the UK otherwise he would have been picked up earlier.

Maybe Ward has time. Maybe not. Hes 30 now and has beaen most of his potential opponents already.

He has ruined a lot of potentially good fights that hes been in with his shit tactics so I have absolutely no pitty for him.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In fact an interesting fight for Ward would be Pascal.

Id love to see Bika again. Bika is the only man in the division to make it uncomfortable for Ward.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do people even watch ward fight? He KO'd Dawson and then had a really good fight with Rodriguez. Neither were bad fights at all. Again, I understand that casual fans may not want to watch his fights because they think that they are "boring" but as a boxing fan you should be happy to watch a great fighter fight.

And the whole cheating claim is ridiculous. There are fighters all throughout history that have done the same thing. Even now there are fighters that do the same things. Ward is in no sense out of control elbowing or headbuttng people. I don't recall any of his opponents stating after the fight that his tactics were the reason they lost.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Do people even watch ward fight? He KO'd Dawson and then had a really good fight with Rodriguez. Neither were bad fights at all. Again, I understand that casual fans may not want to watch his fights because they think that they are "boring" but as a boxing fan you should be happy to watch a great fighter fight.

And the whole cheating claim is ridiculous. There are fighters all throughout history that have done the same thing. Even now there are fighters that do the same things. Ward is in no sense out of control elbowing or headbuttng people. I don't recall any of his opponents stating after the fight that his tactics were the reason they lost.

No?

Really!?

Never watched the Kessler fight?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Kessler fight was alright. It wasn't a terrible fight. Let's put it this way, bhop is 100x more boring than ward in his fights. Ward actually throws punches and lands. He isn't like Ruiz as you point out. Ruiz hit once and held. Ward doesn't hold excessively. He usually stays in the pocket and throws punches. He even throws combinations. He isn't a one punch at a time fighter. I don't understand why he is labled as so boring. I could easily name 10 fighters who are a lot more boring.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Kessler fight was alright. It wasn't a terrible fight. Let's put it this way, bhop is 100x more boring than ward in his fights. Ward actually throws punches and lands. He isn't like Ruiz as you point out. Ruiz hit once and held. Ward doesn't hold excessively. He usually stays in the pocket and throws punches. He even throws combinations. He isn't a one punch at a time fighter. I don't understand why he is labled as so boring. I could easily name 10 fighters who are a lot more boring.
    @powerpuncher 10 more boring fighters.... GO!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post

@ powerpuncher ...don't be shy. you said it would be easy to name 10 more boring fighters. NOW GO!!!!!!

LouEVIL, Kentucky "birthplace of Cassius Clay"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ward sucks balls. he is a cheating hugging dirty & boring fighter. yeah he wins, but is it exciting to watch? fuck no. That is why no one wants to fight him. why would a fighter want to be hugged out of a victory? the refs let him get away with it. and whats this fighting only in california? if he is so great, go fight someone in another country. take a fuckin risk for gods sake.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by #1FightFan View Post
    ward sucks balls. he is a cheating hugging dirty & boring fighter. yeah he wins, but is it exciting to watch? fuck no. That is why no one wants to fight him. why would a fighter want to be hugged out of a victory? the refs let him get away with it. and whats this fighting only in california? if he is so great, go fight someone in another country. take a fuckin risk for gods sake.
    Amen!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhop, Vazquez, rigo, trout, Dawson, wlad (along with many other HWs which I won't name because there are too many), Crawford, Jesse Vargas, malignaggi, Lara, Carlos Molina, Abraham, Moreno. There you go.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhop, Vazquez, rigo, trout, Dawson, wlad (along with many other HWs which I won't name because there are too many), Crawford, Jesse Vargas, malignaggi, Lara, Carlos Molina, Abraham, Moreno. There you go.
    Abraham is not more boring than Ward. He gets in scraps and lets his hands go and actually knocks people out, or did.

Who has Ward knocked out at super middle that wasnt a weight drained light heavy?

Thread Information