Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Davison - Trainer of the year?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ben Davison - Trainer of the year?

What he's done with Fury is pretty incredible when you think about it.
    26 years years old and a novice really, he's literally put his life on hold for 14 months to get Fury into shape.
    The instructions from the corner on Sat were clear, calm and sensible.
    He never showed any signs of nerves at all during the fight and entire build up.

Trainer of the year material?
    I think he's in with a shout.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...-wilder-fight/

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ben Davison - Trainer of the year?

I think we all did a bit of a 'who the fuck is this bloke?' when Fury and him got together. People were concerned about him maybe shrinking into the background a bit given the magnitude and being flanked by Hatton and Roach. Not one bit of it, he was the boss and conducted himself impeccably.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dunno about Trainer of the year, but I reckon that he comes out of Saturday with more credit than anybody, Including Fury.
    He has been absolutely fantastic and he’s managed to control somebody who was out of control.
    Big respect for him.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trainer of the year is probably pushing it but fair play to the bloke. He went from a MGM Global fitness bod to renowned boxing guru in the space of a year.

When he first popped up and Fury was ripping the piss out him calling him a "bag carrier" and whatnot I thought he'd been picked as the scapegoat.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

round 11 - He's gunna come at you like a bombard.....whatever a fucking bombard is

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Freddie Roach criticises Tyson Fury trainer Ben Davison for Deontay Wilder instructions

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-fury-13722395

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's a complete and utter liberty to say in public. Sounds like he's disappointed he wasn't lauded as the mastermind saviour.

“It’s funny, Ben gave the exact same instruction to the 126 lbs fighter as he did the heavyweight fighter, so I said ‘wait… why are you treating these people the same?’ These fighters know each other, but they’re not the same. His instructions were the same and choreographed for both guys, so I was a little disappointed.

“He did a great job with the conditioning, the weight loss and all that, and he’s only a 26-year-old kid.”

He may as well have said - "Ben don't know shit about boxing"
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For what it's worth I agree with the point he's raising. I was looking for Fury to be far more aggressive in a couple of spots during the fight where it looked like he might have Wilder beat.

That said, the way he's done it here is just out of order. I know he's not shy when it comes to slagging off his contemporaries but to do it in such a snide way is really poor form.

He's sounding like a sour old cunt who's pitching to be the main man in the corner. He thought Tyson won so he should have no problem with the way Ben did business. He could have made that point in a positive way rather than a condescending one.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TEARY-EYED Tyson Fury corner man Freddie Roach claims trainer Ben Davison cried in corner during Deontay Wilder fight, criticises young Brit.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...-wilder-fight/

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unpopular opinion, but I’ve always thought Roach gets a pass and gets away with talking shit because of his Parkinson’s disease.
    When Floyd Snr. Kept calling him “Cock Roach” , people felt sorry for Freddie and felt he was kind of being bullied.
    In truth, Freddie is a slimey cunt . No reason to put this out in the public domain.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Unpopular opinion, but I’ve always thought Roach gets a pass and gets away with talking shit because of his Parkinson’s disease.
    When Floyd Snr. Kept calling him “Cock Roach” , people felt sorry for Freddie and felt he was kind of being bullied.
    In truth, Freddie is a slimey cunt . No reason to put this out in the public domain.
    You’re right, and he is a horrible human being.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not see a problem with what Roach said. If that is how he sees it then so be it. Fury has made no technical progress since coming back and did not win the fight so maybe Roach has a point.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roach should have said this to Davisons face behind closed doors not behind his back when he's back in the UK on a tv show.
    I do agree the Fury should be more aggressive at times but maybe not having that real KO power holds him back mentally?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I do not see a problem with what Roach said. If that is how he sees it then so be it. Fury has made no technical progress since coming back and did not win the fight so maybe Roach has a point.
    I can recall umpteen times @Scrap has been asked on here what his thoughts are on other trainers methods. I can also recall each and every time that question was met with the same response. A polite and professional 'I never discuss other peoples business'.

Thinking it and saying it publicly are very different things. It is never acceptable to publicly slag off colleagues and dressing it up as calling it as one sees it is no excuse.

I've said that I agree with what Freddie was saying, but there's always a flip side. There were occasions where Tyson could have been more aggressive, but there were also occasions when he threw one punch too many in a combination and finished it in a poor position to defend himself. That was the greed Ben was talking about and he was spot on.

Tyson is a much much better boxer than Wilder. What technical improvement are you hoping to see?

Charley Burley

Thread Information