Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What A Complete Douche

You are right Sharla, in that boxing is not a good analogy. I was trying to use it from a personal perspective to explore your original thoughts on not going easy and looking for a reason to understand why.

Where I have to disagree with you, is on the total separation of physical harm, to say, emotional. I think that is making an assumption here that the girls were all okey dokie with the loss until the media got involved. That they were learning a life lesson about losing and so on...that 'there is more then just winning' etc. I mean, the team hasn't won in 4 years, surely they have gotten that lesson already. This seemed almost cruel.

I agree that it certainly/likely made matters worse and is surely more embarrassing knowing that now the entire planet is tuned in. That dyslexia is being misinterpreted/misunderstood in it also.

The more I have read about this, the more I feel it was an extreme case of poor sportsmanship. From what I have read...the coach ran the score up to 100, and then they went into a full guard for the last 4 minutes of the game, no longer scoring, just to keep the score at 100 - 0. Why would they do that? To show it off, my only guess. Kinda rubbing it in their faces? How did it feel to have that happen. We don't know, we weren't there. I can't imagine it didn't feel too good.

But yes it must be a lot worse that we are discussing it here, that many others elsewhere likely are also if in fact some people are paying for it in humiliation.

This I found a good summation for the story.

Editorial: Final lesson from 100-0 game | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Opinion: Editorials

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I care Amat. I went to a JUCO that was really good at basketball. They didn't have a football team. They had alot of D1 players though. Mitch Richmond went there.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not defending anybody, but why didn't the losing coach forfeit? If you haven't scored by halftime, that's what you do. He should be fired too.
    "...went 12 rounds with Ali, and never took a backwards step."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think its kinda stupid to make such a big deal outta this anyway. I mean they been on a losing streak anyway so one team comes and beat the crap outta them and its different from the other beatings they got.

To piss them off even more the next time they play them (if they play them) they should make it a slam dunk contest and really piss them off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    You are right Sharla, in that boxing is not a good analogy. I was trying to use it from a personal perspective to explore your original thoughts on not going easy and looking for a reason to understand why.

Where I have to disagree with you, is on the total separation of physical harm, to say, emotional. I think that is making an assumption here that the girls were all okey dokie with the loss until the media got involved. That they were learning a life lesson about losing and so on...that 'there is more then just winning' etc. I mean, the team hasn't won in 4 years, surely they have gotten that lesson already. This seemed almost cruel.

I agree that it certainly/likely made matters worse and is surely more embarrassing knowing that now the entire planet is tuned in. That dyslexia is being misinterpreted/misunderstood in it also.

The more I have read about this, the more I feel it was an extreme case of poor sportsmanship. From what I have read...the coach ran the score up to 100, and then they went into a full guard for the last 4 minutes of the game, no longer scoring, just to keep the score at 100 - 0. Why would they do that? To show it off, my only guess. Kinda rubbing it in their faces? How did it feel to have that happen. We don't know, we weren't there. I can't imagine it didn't feel too good.

But yes it must be a lot worse that we are discussing it here, that many others elsewhere likely are also if in fact some people are paying for it in humiliation.

Editorial: Final lesson from 100-0 game | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Opinion: Editorials
    Yeah I do agree the coach is not real mature. I see that.

I do wonder if you do have any emotional harm after being on a 4 year loosing streak. I think you'd be immune. You'd be assuming you'd loose before the game started and get over it because winning has not been your reason for being there at all.

When I played hockey on the team which was always short of players we knew we didn't have to be embarassed because we had to run so much more to make up numbers just the effort and resilience did get respect from our opponents regardless of whether or not it got respect from their coach.

We'd have a collective giggle about people on the opposite team who took it too seriously. As far as we were concerned they were the joke because in that level of competition you are waaaaay below the level where you need to be so serious and you make a fool of yourself if you do.

We also didn't bother with a practice because we were a country team with no home ground or central training area. Our fees were MUCH cheaper than all the serious teams. We had no coach.

All those things contributed to the social side of it. We hung around as a group longer than the other teams. We celebrated birthdays more. We had an annual awards thing with prizes for all sorts of ridiculous things as well as most improved, most tenacious etc etc.

We had a LOT more fun than the more competitive teams regardless of the score! Making a news item about how crap we were and we'd all be hiding under rocks though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post

I do wonder if you do have any emotional harm after being on a 4 year loosing streak. I think you'd be immune. You'd be assuming you'd loose before the game started and get over it because winning has not been your reason for being there at all.

When I played hockey on the team which was always short of players we knew we didn't have to be embarassed because we had to run so much more to make up numbers just the effort and resilience did get respect from our opponents regardless of whether or not it got respect from their coach.

We'd have a collective giggle about people on the opposite team who took it too seriously. As far as we were concerned they were the joke because in that level of competition you are waaaaay below the level where you need to be so serious and you make a fool of yourself if you do.

We also didn't bother with a practice because we were a country team with no home ground or central training area. Our fees were MUCH cheaper than all the serious teams. We had no coach.

All those things contributed to the social side of it. We hung around as a group longer than the other teams. We celebrated birthdays more. We had an annual awards thing with prizes for all sorts of ridiculous things as well as most improved, most tenacious etc etc.

We had a LOT more fun than the more competitive teams regardless of the score! Making a news item about how crap we were and we'd all be hiding under rocks though!
    Even then,what was the point of grinding it in and going for 100 points,and then pulling up,except to gloat. There is something called a sore winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post

Even then,what was the point of grinding it in and going for 100 points,and then pulling up,except to gloat. There is something called a sore winner.
    Yeah the full guard bit is off. I didn't read that in the initial article. He made a dick of himself there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The pissy email was really the kicker. I understand competition,but there reaches a point when you know you can win,and now your just showing off. I dont teach my boxers,"Hold him up for as long as you can just to show that you can humiliate him in public" I teach them,end it, lets go collect the check, and go home.On top of that what if one of his girls got hurt because he left them out there,because he just wanted his 100 points? What if it was serious?
    The guy is a total douche

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

100 zip against a private dyslexic school that has what 20 students?
    Why dont you just womp on retarded kids while your at it.
    Those girls had their parents in attendence,if your dominating that bad,you could have pulled the foot off the throttle,but this idiot was cheering when they got close to 100 points.
    These are kids for the love of god,great,way to scar a bunch of obviously overmatched girls for life so you can get 100 points
    And it isnt about winning or losing,its about somebody grinding a teenage girls nose in the losing.

You would have definitely got the sack for that.

Comparing people with dyslexia to "retarded kids?"

Unreal.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

100 zip against a private dyslexic school that has what 20 students?
    Why dont you just womp on retarded kids while your at it.
    Those girls had their parents in attendence,if your dominating that bad,you could have pulled the foot off the throttle,but this idiot was cheering when they got close to 100 points.
    These are kids for the love of god,great,way to scar a bunch of obviously overmatched girls for life so you can get 100 points
    And it isnt about winning or losing,its about somebody grinding a teenage girls nose in the losing.
    By the same token, is it fair he just lost his job?

And why couldn't the opposing coach pull his team off the floor? Sure, he could have done things differently, but let's not make it other than what it is: he's being punished for his team doing too well. What message is being sent to his players? There's a valuable lesson to life by losing a game, but what Bizzaro words of wisdom should be taken from this? That if you kick too much butt at work you'll lose your job? This should have been handled with a talking to and perhaps an apology.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's the lesson they haven't caught onto yet: quit. If you haven't won in that long you're doing something wrong and it's time to go do something else. If I had operated on 12 people's brains guess how many of them would be alive today? 0, because I suck at neurosurgery. And it's not a matter of whether or not it makes me feel bad. Some things just aren't for me, or other people in their turn, to do. I find it shameful that the people who could have done something about it (coaches, parents, etc.) haven't because everyone is about making people feel good about themselves. There's nothing wrong with giving children, especially these, a good sense of self-esteem, but there's also something to being realistic. This goes in the same vein as ball-less dodgeball and rope-less jump rope. It's a tremendous disservice to children as it leaves them without taking any steps closer to what they will experience in real life. What, are we to continue the facade in adulthood? Do we not tell little Jimmy he crushed Mrs. Johnson eggs when he put them at the bottom of the bag beneath the frozen ham? If Little Cindy's accounting error costs the client $10,000 we should just shake a finger at her? That's not real life. And if you protect people from it they'll only be crushed even more when it eventually catches up to them.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The pissy email was really the kicker. I understand competition,but there reaches a point when you know you can win,and now your just showing off. I dont teach my boxers,"Hold him up for as long as you can just to show that you can humiliate him in public" I teach them,end it, lets go collect the check, and go home.On top of that what if one of his girls got hurt because he left them out there,because he just wanted his 100 points? What if it was serious?
    The guy is a total douche
    And what if all 5 starters sprained their ankles in the 1st minute of play?

And what if your fighter pulled the trigger on his opponent but then fell on his head on the way out the ring?

There are a ton of what-ifs that didn't happen. The only thing that did was one team beat another and nobody was physically hurt.
    Oops

Thread Information