Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've said for years, don't listen to Jim Watt or his scorecards.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I've said for years, don't listen to Jim Watt or his scorecards.

I like Jim but there does not seem to be a middle ground with him. He's either spot on or is watching a different fight. Believe it or not a lot of people saw it the same way he did. Some of the early rounds were really tough to score.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    jim watts scoring is often rubbish but i think he's the best commentator around, really helps with the excitement of the fight

his enthusiasm and tones and accent is second to none

even his shit scoring helped with the anticipation of the result, i thought brook was a couple of rounds up but watts scores made me really doubt it, i was on the edge of me seat waiting for the announcement
    ;d;d;d;d
    He is the most absolute crap out there and should be got rid of, he never judges a fight correctly and was laughable last night. As for his accent, why isn't he working for BBC Scotland? We sure as hell cant understand him down here.
    I dont see why we should pay good money for an english TV channel and then get a non english speaker commentating! Whining miserable negative bastard whenever an englishman is fighting. Just put an extra 6 courses of bricks on top of Hadrians wall after the 'referendum' and make sure the bastards on the Jock side, we dont want him down here.
    I'm sorry to sit on the fence here.....

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's pretty terrible as well in truth, and that's a good point made by SilkeyJoe(how do you do that mention thingy?). It does seem he'll often announce how a round has gone when there is stil half of it remaining, and then call the rest of the action to suit his pick, or just ignore it completely. The fact that I also find his voice incredibly irritating makes him an easy dislike for me :P

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    They will retire him soon. Once you become out of touch and not able to read fights then you will be replaced.
    ...as a commentator and given a position as ringside judge
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I think he's pretty terrible as well in truth, and that's a good point made by SilkeyJoe(how do you do that mention thingy?). It does seem he'll often announce how a round has gone when there is stil half of it remaining, and then call the rest of the action to suit his pick, or just ignore it completely. The fact that I also find his voice incredibly irritating makes him an easy dislike for me :P
    You add @ in front of their name. @p4pking or @Silkeyjoe
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Watt was off too. However, similar to him I did think Brook looked outhustled and harried for the first few rounds. Brook was definitely down at the half way mark and I was worried about him with Porter being so reckless with his octopus/goat impersonations and Brook getting cut quite badly early on. To his credit, Brook kept his head and showed real intelligence and maturity in the second half of the fight. Though Porter was busy, it was less and less effective round by round and all of the well timed punches were coming from Brook. Overall, I think it was a close fight and just as Watt was off, I also think the judges had it a bit too wide for Brook.

Watt was definitely annoying me as the fight wore on because he was being heavily critical in rounds where Brook was doing well. I think Darke (is that his name?) wanted to correct Watt, but Watt was so noisy and loud, he was kept relatively meek and so the commentary seemed off. He should have told Watt to shut up and pay attention, but I guess you can't do that live as you yourself have to be somewhat professional.

It was no classic, but I enjoyed the fight overall. I think Jim Watt needs to be spoken to as he seems to be in his own world at times. Maybe they should all have a card and have three cards to show balance. Just showing Jim Watt's makes it a bit off. And well done Kell Brook, I thought he handled a messy opponent with a lot of aplomb. A very good fighter.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to like Watt, when he was with my favourite commentator Reg Gutterige , old
    Reg new his boxing, well Jim has lost it I don't no what fight he was watching, because
    I was watching a different one,! for a former Champ he does talk some shit.
    Time for a rest Jim, maybe a 12 months cruise.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I used to like Watt, when he was with my favourite commentator Reg Gutterige , old
    Reg new his boxing, well Jim has lost it I don't no what fight he was watching, because
    Harry Carpenter was great as well.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Harry and Reg like them both.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Harry and Reg like them both.
    Harry and Reg were bloody great.

Thread Information