Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default John David Jackson

What is your take on this?

Mind games.. or did JDJ mess himself up by saying team Ward never accepted his offer.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: John David Jackson

Not sure what you mean by "this", is there new information?

Last I knew Wards camp didn't invite him in. I'm surprised by that, why not at least pick his brain. Perhaps he's seen something useful.

I don't really blame JDJ considering Kovalev is rather blatantly racist and they were very disrespectful to him. I suspect he saw worse behind closed doors.

I'm not sure how good a trainer JDJ is though to speak on his abilities in that regard.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

John David Jackson was an excellent boxer. Did not know he had left Kovalev.

http://www.boxingscene.com/video-and...ackson--117187
    Last edited by Master; 06-04-2017 at 05:42 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly have no idea how this rematch is going to turn out.

JDJ is being mugged off by Kovalev so I can see him getting the sack if they loose again.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jackson is probally one of the best things to happen to Kovalev. He gives him a boxers mentality when Kov seems so hell bent of being some comic book Krusher. He'd do well to retain Jackson by any means necessary. The reports look to have conflicting he said-she said, last interview I saw with Jackson said Wards people approached. Mind games.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone know where to find 24/7 Ward vs Kovalev II episode 1?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bit weird having the trainer admit he would've jumped ship for the right price. However team Kov are spinning it I bet Jackson won't be with him after this Ward fight. Kov waffling about overtraining, Jackson waffling about the Russians, Duva waffling about she's never seen anything like this in 30 years. Everyone waffling that it's all hunky-dory... thinly veiled seething underneath
    Last edited by Fenster; 06-08-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This promotion is not selling well apparently. Ward is just not exciting to watch and especially in a fight which is going to be twelve more rounds of the bloody same with a sleepworthy Ward points victory at the end of it. Speaking of not exciting to watch, Rigondeaux is on the undercard. Ward and Rigondeaux on the same card and they wonder why they can't sell tickets.

El Kabong Guest

I don't rate JDJ as a trainer, who has he taken under his wing and polished and made into a better fighter?

According to Wikipedia this is who he has trained:

Sergey Kovalev
    Kimbo Slice
    Allan Green (starting with his bout Anthony Bonsante)
    Bernard Hopkins (for his bout with Antonio Tarver)
    Shane Mosley (starting with his second bout with Winky Wright and ending after his first bout with Fernando Vargas)
    Nate Campbell (The first fighter Jackson led to a world title)
    Dyah Davis (Son of 1976 Olympic gold medalist Howard Davis Jr.)
    Brad Solomon
    Khabib Allakhverdiev
    Magomed Abdusalamov
    Chris Algieri
    Curtis Stevens

I don't even want to get into what happened with Mago....that is very sad and I'm sure it's something that is every fighter and trainer's nightmare.

You look at those guys and I don't think they have any 1 certain thing they all do well that you can say "That's what JDJ gave him". He's not like a Freddie Roach or Manny Steward where he gives his fighters a certain distinct style and that could be a good thing, but at the same time he's not getting extra out of these guys.

If you gave Sergey Kovalev to a different trainer any different trainer what would be the result? I am interested to know if he'd be better, worse, or you couldn't tell the difference.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's the riff all about? I'Ve been dead busy working the equivalent of 2 x full times for the summer intensive classes (I swear, I'll never give 2 intensive classes at the same time ever again) and apparently that I've missed something pretty odd. ?
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I don't rate JDJ as a trainer, who has he taken under his wing and polished and made into a better fighter?

According to Wikipedia this is who he has trained:

Sergey Kovalev
    Kimbo Slice
    Allan Green (starting with his bout Anthony Bonsante)
    Bernard Hopkins (for his bout with Antonio Tarver)
    Shane Mosley (starting with his second bout with Winky Wright and ending after his first bout with Fernando Vargas)
    Nate Campbell (The first fighter Jackson led to a world title)
    Dyah Davis (Son of 1976 Olympic gold medalist Howard Davis Jr.)
    Brad Solomon
    Khabib Allakhverdiev
    Magomed Abdusalamov
    Chris Algieri
    Curtis Stevens

I don't even want to get into what happened with Mago....that is very sad and I'm sure it's something that is every fighter and trainer's nightmare.

You look at those guys and I don't think they have any 1 certain thing they all do well that you can say "That's what JDJ gave him". He's not like a Freddie Roach or Manny Steward where he gives his fighters a certain distinct style and that could be a good thing, but at the same time he's not getting extra out of these guys.

If you gave Sergey Kovalev to a different trainer any different trainer what would be the result? I am interested to know if he'd be better, worse, or you couldn't tell the difference.
    Hanging his hat alone on what Kovalev shows today after years is ratable. Jackson is written all over Kovalev top notch jab and the subtleties he shows in footwork. Not to mention not falling in love with his power. Or snapping in a crowded hotel lobby because the elevator is slow . Seriously Kov reminds you of a guy but, moving on. He's a teaching trainer with career depth and was taught under massive wings also by both Benton and Steward. Roach has respect but they can't all find gems like a near one armed brawler named Pacquiao and ride that light from star to star. Jackson is finding his nitch and improves majority of guys he works with fight to fight. Save for Stevenson who he watched be ko'd..and we're ok with that .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    What's the riff all about? I'Ve been dead busy working the equivalent of 2 x full times for the summer intensive classes (I swear, I'll never give 2 intensive classes at the same time ever again) and apparently that I've missed something pretty odd. ?
    Ok.. In a nutshell basically what happened was after the first fight around January there was contact between John David Jackson and Andre Ward's camp. Jackson said they contacted him first. Ward's Camp of course said that Jackson came to them looking to pitch his services. Afterwards in an interview, Jackson said if they gave him Fort Knox he probably would have jumped to Team warm but of course they didn't meet his price for breaking his loyalty to kovalev. Ward's Camp says that they were willing to help Jackson out by employing him because kovalev was abusive to him after the loss. Gamesmanship by team Ward? Something Shady by John David Jackson? We're all left to be the judge.

So some of us are thrown a little by the fact that there is a price on John David Jackson's loyalty in the way he worded it. Is Jackson a straight shooter? Well he admitted there was a price.... So the question for me is why go there pitching services if he was just going to say no anyway? Usually somebody that makes an offer is willing to haggle. The other question I have is that a team Ward is so sure that the second fight is going to be so much easier and that they won the first fight handily, why would you be willing to throw money away just to jeopardize the other persons camp especially considering how cheap and penny-pinching Ward and Roc Nation have been in the past. With every interview new details seemed to emerge from Ward's mouth about the situation and kovalev camp before he acts indifferent and disinterested and changes the subject.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 06-11-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Typos
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can someone post the 2nd episode of 24/7?

Thread Information