Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch 2-Ton Tony WHIP the great Joe Louis here---great quality video!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Watch 2-Ton Tony WHIP the great Joe Louis here---great quality video!

with the great Don Dunphy together with Joe Louis and Tony Galento as old men

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Watch 2-Ton Tony WHIP the great Joe Louis here---great quality video!

I love those old "The Way It Was" videos

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Watch 2-Ton Tony WHIP the great Joe Louis here---great quality video!

And at 1:26 of the video.... doesn't the picture of Galento look like the SPITTING IMAGE of a fat Arturo Gatti?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

5′ 9″ 230lbs. Bless...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And people shit on the Klitschko's opposition...

I'm sure according to some of the "experts" here Tony would have been a unified champ in today's era. The Klitschko's? Please, he'd moida da bums.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Galento would have seriously fucked up either K2. I have been to his grave in Orange, New Jersey many times.

The main road off Main Street in Orange is called Tony Galento Plaza. He owned a bar down that street since 1931. Before his fight with Joe Louis he went into his bar and reportedly ate 27 hot dogs with mustard and sauer kraut, 4 roast chickens and drank 21 bottles of beer, then drove to his training camp that night and stole all his sparring partners' food and ate that too. Then 2 nights before his fight with Louis he decided to start training at 2 a.m. instead of in the day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Galento would have seriously fucked up either K2.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE PHILOSOPHER View Post

5′ 9″ 230lbs. Bless...

Its just the olden days David Tua then.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was Tony the one that was asked by a reporter about Shakespeare and he said he never heard of him but would murder him in the ring?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Was Tony the one that was asked by a reporter about Shakespeare and he said he never heard of him but would murder him in the ring?

haha wouldnt doubt it. haha 2 Ton Tony what a fucking nickname.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here is a short summary of Galento’s last press conference before he broke training camp.

The Press: “What do you think of your chances against Louis?”
    Galento: “Joe who?”
    The Press: “Joe Louis.”
    Galento: “I never hoid of the bum.”
    The Press: “Tony why do you train at night?”
    Galento: “Cuz I fight at night!”
    The Press: “What do you think of William Shakespeare?”
    Galento: “Never hoid of him, what’s he one of those foreign heavyweights? I’ll moider da bum.”
    The Press: “What did you have for dinner last night?”
    Galento: “Oh, six chickens, a side of spaghetti, a bowl of vegetables, then I wash it down with a dozen bottles of Pabst Blue Ribbon. But I’m real serious about the fight tonight, I haven’t had any hard liquor in two days.”
    Galento vs. Louis/1939: “I’ll Moider da Bum” - Galento vs. Louis/1939: “I’ll Moider da Bum” - Boxing.com

Official Figures - - The Evening Independent - Google News Archive Search

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do love me 2 ton tony. The man was quite the character.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Louis basically fought himself out of top contenders, so that's when he gave the 2nd and 3rd tier fighters a shot at the title which later became known as "the Bum-of-the-Month Tour"...but Tony Galento WASN'T on that tour, and he was NO bum. Galento fought Louis a couple of years before that tour. Galento doesn't look much like an athlete, and some folks think he's a joke when they see the clips of Louis bopping him around, but he still managed to drop the great Joe Louis in that fight. I came across an interesting column by noted referee Ron Lipton about his first-hand knowledge of Tony Galento:

"...Galento was from Orange NJ. I trained for awhile at Sam Magee's Ringside Gym which was right behind the Normandy Inn. Galento came in there for years and was Sam's best buddy. They loved to booze it up.

Galento came into the gym and watched me spar with a gigantic muscular light heavy-named Sugar Cliff Ryan whose back was made out of steel cables. I banged him all over the ring exploding and raining shots on the big man and dropped him with a vicious left hook. He was a wide puncher and I ate up those kind of guys. Galento was smoking a big cigar watching and talking with Sam who was supposed to be in my corner for a tv fight coming up at Symphony Hall in Newark.

Galento comes over and I believe he was starting to suffer from diabetes which later cost him his leg. He was truly a rough and scary man an absolute fearless animal who you would have to kll with an axe to stop on the street. He ruined another local fighter crippling him for life, a nice man by the name of Don Petrin.

I knew all these things and Tony would almost never admit if anyone beat him so help me God, including Louis and Baer, BUT, there was a tough amateur champion from that area, who was a Diamond belt, Golden Glove and everything else champ, called Elmer "Shrimp" Palardy. He was a Capt of Police in West Orange and his son Mike, me and the Capt had many brawls of legend in the area. He told me that the two hardest hitters he had EVER seen in his life bar none was Frankie Zamaris who stopped Melio Bettina in two, and Tony Galento whose left hook would actually kill you if he kept landing it solid before the ref could save a man.

Well Galento, says words to the effect, "Hey Kid, Sam tells me you he thinks you will go all the way, so I'm going to show you how to shorten that hook up ok, hit em on the belt line, and bring it to the balls when the ref is on the other side etc."
    Well, just like in the Gentleman Jim movie with Errol Flynn, when Flynn goes into the Olympic club and hands his cigar to Alexis Smith to hold while he boxes with the English instructor, Galento just hands me the Cigar while I still have my gloves on and takes his jacket off.

I'm balancing the lit cigar on my glove with Sam watching, drunk out of his mind, Galento and him lit, and this old fat man with slits for eyes, wallops this heavy and I do mean hard as a rock bag hanging there with a left hook, bare knuckles, and it made me shudder.

The punch would have killed me dead on the spot. It was so vicious, fast and hard that to this day it seemed to me harder than David Tua's hook who I refereed twice up close. That bag almost broke in half, it doubled the bag in mid air and we had some mean hitting heavyweight in that gym that could punch and they NEVER came close to what this little fat man did while drunk, out of shape and old let alone without warming up.

I saw Sonny Liston in person workout in Philly and in preparation for the 2nd Ali fight and on films. Galento's hooks was harder trust me.

If Marciano in his superb condition at 185 took on Tony it would be a bloodbath. If you had the right ref in there like me, I would let it go to the finish. I go with the Rock on condition, integrity, determination and balls. Galento had the hook in spades, unparalled viciousness, and every dirty trick in the book from heeling, thumbing or whatever.

He made Fritzie Zivic look like a Fairy. He lifted Joe Louis off his feet, and the most amazing beating to me was the job he did on Lou Nova who was big, strong and in shape. I have a hi lite of that fight and it looked so brutal it is beyond belief...--RON LIPTON"

Galento doesn't seem funny at all when you hear some stories about him.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony reminds me of Brock in many ways, he must be his reincarnation.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

YEAH i THINK THAT SOMETIMES TOO. i DO BELIEVE INN REINCATRNATION

Thread Information