Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default An appreciation of Mayweather's discipline

Amazing that after all he has accomplished...after all the money and fame...this guy still trains harder than anyone...and treats his body and his craft with the utmost respect. Even though he is surrounded by extravagant wealth, a big entourage, Las Vegas, etc.....he doesn't drink, smoke, or fluctuate in weight. Always in tremendous shape. Always sharp and focused when the time come for the fights. It's also interesting that he doesn't have any tattoos (at least none that i have seen or know of). It's almost like he treats his body like a temple (B hop is similar). Young fighters like Broner should take note.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: An appreciation of Mayweather's discipline

For sure, but you can't help figure it's because he is such a boring and self absorbed human being on the same token. Hopkins is exactly the same, last person on earth I'd want to have a beer with if either of them did drink I know both of Floyds parents had a lot of problems with drugs and such though and there is perhaps no better alternative medicine than a fanatical exercise regime. Will be kind of interesting to see whether he's actually able to leave boxing without self destructing in some way, I highly doubt it myself.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    For sure, but you can't help figure it's because he is such a boring and self absorbed human being on the same token. Hopkins is exactly the same, last person on earth I'd want to have a beer with if either of them did drink I know both of Floyds parents had a lot of problems with drugs and such though and there is perhaps no better alternative medicine than a fanatical exercise regime. Will be kind of interesting to see whether he's actually able to leave boxing without self destructing in some way, I highly doubt it myself.
    I don't think I can agree with you about Floyd self destructing after he "retires" or "leaves" boxing. He will always be in boxing, promoting, training or whatever plus he'll always have a gym or gyms. Let's face it, he is a gym rat and probably does his best thinking when he's working out.
    You said his parents had drug problems, so Floyd Jr has probably seen some things he does not want his children or grandchildren to see. What I mean is he has that side of his personality locked down like a million dollar vault.
    Maybe Floyd can't explain to you how he is so successful in the ring, but he is very intelligent plus he picked up a billion dollar work ethic from someone, so I can't see Floyd falling on his face.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    I don't think I can agree with you about Floyd self destructing after he "retires" or "leaves" boxing. He will always be in boxing, promoting, training or whatever plus he'll always have a gym or gyms. Let's face it, he is a gym rat and probably does his best thinking when he's working out.
    You said his parents had drug problems, so Floyd Jr has probably seen some things he does not want his children or grandchildren to see. What I mean is he has that side of his personality locked down like a million dollar vault.
    Maybe Floyd can't explain to you how he is so successful in the ring, but he is very intelligent plus he picked up a billion dollar work ethic from someone, so I can't see Floyd falling on his face.

He's clearly not as stupid as he often likes to act for the cameras, but he is not in fact an intelligent human being, and his work ethic is fairly meaningless outside the sport of boxing imo. This is someone who manages to live at his means despite making so much damn money, and doesn't have any reasonable avenues of income other than fighting. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he fell off the rails because he is a diva, and his promotional efforts outside of his own PPVs have already been totally fruitless. I can't see him competing remotely in that world once he isn't such an attraction himself, and he strikes me as someone who really fiends the spotlight as is. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he were a wtf kind of story in 15 years, that's all. I don't wish it on the guy or anything, just saying.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post

He's clearly not as stupid as he often likes to act for the cameras, but he is not in fact an intelligent human being, and his work ethic is fairly meaningless outside the sport of boxing imo. This is someone who manages to live at his means despite making so much damn money, and doesn't have any reasonable avenues of income other than fighting. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he fell off the rails because he is a diva, and his promotional efforts outside of his own PPVs have already been totally fruitless. I can't see him competing remotely in that world once he isn't such an attraction himself, and he strikes me as someone who really fiends the spotlight as is. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he were a wtf kind of story in 15 years, that's all. I don't wish it on the guy or anything, just saying.
    Anything is possible, but I just can't see Floyd throwing all his hard work away.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He does it quite literally all the time

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i have no comment at all on the guy's personality or predelictions as I have never even met him and I certainly don't believe stuff that's reported in the media.

What I can see is that he is ferociously committed to fighting and his dedication to training must be laser like. He is 36 now and he has won his last few fights by incredibly wide margins, but he doesn't seem to have been tempted to cut any corners in training. We never think he is likely to tire or get gassed (and it was his conditioning that won him the De La Hoya fight IMO).

The fact that the best fighter on the planet is so relentlessly focused on his training should be an example to every fighter out there

I do wonder what someone with such tunnel vision and focus, which has been such an integral part of him for decades now will do when they do stop boxing. What can he replace it with? As a retired good-class amateur, I know that training for training's sake - with no fight at the end of it - just isn't the same.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd's a special athlete. I've said it before, if you take into account every attribute: pure athleticism, virtuoso skill, boxing IQ, discipline, heart, ect, I don't think there has been anyone in the history of boxing who has the same quantity of these together that Mayweather has. The only one comparable is SRR.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure how his life and finances will pan out after he retires. He doesn't strike me as someone who will fall into drug/substance abuse...which is one of the the biggest reasons high profile athletes fall apart after they retire (both physically and financially). As flashy and excessive as he may be...something about him tells me he wont piss it all away. Obviously i can be very wrong. But clearly in regards to his craft and body...he is one of the all time great athletes.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is very good and I think the discipline and desire he has will continue after boxing and he will be a success at whatever he does most of the time. I do not think he is worth the extortionate money and contract that he is on. What he has achieved is no different to Pernell Whitaker did when he beat Julio Ceaser Vasquez other than get paid better for it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Any boxer is worth everything they make and usually more! Some guys sell a lot more tickets than their ability might suggest they should, but the numbers still don't lie and if there is a demand to watch them fight that's all there is to it. It's an incredibly dishonest business, but the fighters themselves are never taking home more than they should.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd was talking up the mexican people and fighting on their specific holidays, he is a business man at heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure, but he's spent his entire life putting himself in a position where he can be. If you want to complain about athletes getting overpaid, boxing is not the sport to do so

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure, but he's spent his entire life putting himself in a position where he can be. If you want to complain about athletes getting overpaid, boxing is not the sport to do so
    He is overpaid to all other boxers, I do not begrudge him I just think he is not worth it in terms of value.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He is overpaid to all other boxers, I do not begrudge him I just think he is not worth it in terms of value.
    What you think doesn't matter though, he generates the revenue and simply takes his share of it, it's a very honest living compared to so many in the entertainment world. I don't think most athletes should make more than a school teacher in a perfect world, but all I can do about it is not tune in to watch them.

Thread Information