Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Quartey vs Trinidad @147

Always was curious about this match up......I think it would of been interesting all things considered.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Quartey vs Trinidad @147

Yeh, good matchup. I don't think there was much to pick between Ike, Tito and ODLH @ 147, I mean I had Ike beating ODLH (by 1 round) I'd probably lean towards Tito, but very close fight
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

ICB Guest

Ike Quartey is one of my favorites, but he's bit of a sucker for the left hook which is Felix Trinidad's best punch. Lopez, ODLH, Phillips, all badly stunned and floored Ike Quartey with left hooks. And i think Ike Quartey would be floored atleast twice losing a close decision.

Felix Trinidad would probably be floored himself early on, also Ike Quartey's jab and his own power would be trouble for Felix Trinidad early on.

But Felix Trinidad was great at coming on late on. Where as Ike Quartey seemed to fade down the stretch in his big fights, i think this would be like Jose Luis Lopez vs Ike Quartey, except Ike Quartey loses by a few points.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito points because Ike did not move enough to trouble Tito. Ike had an excellent jab but Tito would control him and win the fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight could go either way. But I think Quartey and his jab win it for him. Trinidad has gone down early in some of his fights. But I think Quartey keeps him there if he manages to drop him

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always liked Quartey (rooted for him vs DLH), but I think he plays into Tito's style. Yes, Tito went down early in fights, but it was more a balance issue, and he always came back strong to KO his opponents (until BHop, that is). Tito had quick hands and a great left hook. I think Tito stops Ike in a fast, action-packed fight.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I always liked Quartey (rooted for him vs DLH), but I think he plays into Tito's style. Yes, Tito went down early in fights, but it was more a balance issue, and he always came back strong to KO his opponents (until BHop, that is). Tito had quick hands and a great left hook. I think Tito stops Ike in a fast, action-packed fight.
    You kidding me, right? His knock downs against Reid, Campas and Cortes weren't due to balance issues. They were due to him getting hit on the chin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always thought Trinidad would win this fight as well until I watched Winky totally dominate Tito with just a jab. Tito looked CLUELESS!! Granted he was a more devastating fighter at 147 so he may have found away around those jabs and KO'd Ike.

Some people might not remember this but this fight was actually scheduled. After the negotiations for Tito-DLH fell apart King announced a date for this fight (Oct/Nov 99). After a month or so they finally came to an agreement and did the fight with Oscar in Sept.

I lost some respect for Tito when he never gave Oscar a rematch. He knows he lost but he could have gotten PAID if they fought a rematch.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    You kidding me, right? His knock downs against Reid, Campas and Cortes weren't due to balance issues. They were due to him getting hit on the chin
    Chill VD. I didn't mean they weren't legit knockdowns. Only that Tito didn't have the best of balance when he was caught by some of those punches. Why else would he get up so quickly to pounce on his opponents? Case in point was the Campas knockdown. He was caught by a good, short right... but his balance wasn't very good at the time of the punch, either. BTW... who's Cortes?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crap this is tuff the deeper you think it. Forget all of that 154 woulda coulda....at top 147 here. I just have to go with Tito on track record. He's been dumped on his azz but hardly did he get up dazed and confused. I still say the worst I've seen him damaged off a right hand was vs. Anthony stephens (147) who found him over and over while being robbed of a KD ruling.

Ikes jab was a potent poison and only way I see him winning is ala Vince phillips...just exploding once in early control and raining down, and no Tito didnt have Vinces chin... Quartey swarmed but was open,wide and stood tall...at times had that minor 'open gloved' slap punch . I think Tito survives onslaught and picks shots off of Ike's daunting but predictable pump jab . He was sharper, more selective puncher and relaxed down the stretch.

ICB Guest

VD Ike Quartey is one of my favorites, but he was a sucker for a left hook. He was knocked down 4 times from my memory all by left hooks, and they wern't flash knockdowns either.

I just see that being his downfall, aswell as Ike Quartey fading down the stretch in big fights. Where as Felix Trinidad come on strong down the stretch in his big fights.

I actually think it would go the distance, and Felix Trinidad would be put down early. And he would be troubled by the jab early, but he would get around that jab eventually. And i see Ike Quartey going down atleast twice late on.

But he survives and goes 12 rounds because he has a huge heart, but in the end he loses by a few points.

An even better fight i wanted to see, is Jose Luis Lopez vs Felix Trinidad.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    VD Ike Quartey is one of my favorites, but he was a sucker for a left hook. He was knocked down 4 times from my memory all by left hooks, and they wern't flash knockdowns either.

I just see that being his downfall, aswell as Ike Quartey fading down the stretch in big fights. Where as Felix Trinidad come on strong down the stretch in his big fights.

I actually think it would go the distance, and Felix Trinidad would be put down early. And he would be troubled by the jab early, but he would get around that jab eventually. And i see Ike Quartey going down atleast twice late on.

But he survives and goes 12 rounds because he has a huge heart, but in the end he loses by a few points.

An even better fight i wanted to see, is Jose Luis Lopez vs Felix Trinidad.
    Your right in the fact that Quartey did have trouble with the left hook. He just refused to keep his hand up. But your wrong in thinking Trinidad would got around the ATG jab of Quartey. De La hoya handled him with ease when he jabbed him. When he stopped is when Trinidad came on. And Tito had no idea what to do when Winky Wright would throw his jab. He never came close to getting around it. The jab was also key to everything Hopkins did in taking Trinidad's 0. I consider Quartey's jab to be superior to theres.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still like Ike!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ahhh the 4 horsemen of the 90's WW division... ODLH, Ike, Tito and JLL.

I'll always stand by my comment that JLL would have handled all of them would he have dedicated himself accordingly. The talent and skill he posessed was above the rest.
    People that worked with him as he started off his career and also media have been quoted as saying "He had ATG written all over him. A natural born skilled fighter whom the limit was the sky"...

As for the matchup at hand, I think Ike wins a decision over Tito.
    Last edited by CutMeMick; 09-23-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Ike Quartey is one of my favorites, but he's bit of a sucker for the left hook which is Felix Trinidad's best punch. Lopez, ODLH, Phillips, all badly stunned and floored Ike Quartey with left hooks. And i think Ike Quartey would be floored atleast twice losing a close decision.

Felix Trinidad would probably be floored himself early on, also Ike Quartey's jab and his own power would be trouble for Felix Trinidad early on.

But Felix Trinidad was great at coming on late on. Where as Ike Quartey seemed to fade down the stretch in his big fights, i think this would be like Jose Luis Lopez vs Ike Quartey, except Ike Quartey loses by a few points.
    I have to say this analogy is pretty much as i see it.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information