Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ten of the Worst Robberies in the History of Boxing

@El Kabong Lyle knows that the reason I said that is because somebody asked him for sources on another thread. I was just doing a parody of that. Lyle please fill in Primo car near about this stuff so that we don't have another inadvertent scenario

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman v Briggs up there. I think Randall was robbed in Chavez rematch. Eder Gonzalez wasn't just robbed v Juan M Coggi 1, the ref was basically a felony conspirator. Beasley was robbed when the ref wouldn't get off his chest. Mo Harris robbed v Larry Holmes. Sturm robbed v Oscar. Adolpho Washington robbed v Orlin Norris I. Lamar Murphy robbed v Miguel A Gonzalez. Sergio Martinez robbed twice..of a ko and a decision v Kermit Cintron. Manny v Mayweather was plenty of robbery.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are bad decisions and then there are robberies. Bad decisions are like the GGG and Canelo fights. You could score it for Canelo but most people had it for GGG. Bad decision but not a robbery.

The biggest robbery I’ve seen was Lara vs Williams. That was a completely one sided fight and Williams somehow won. Also, De La Hoya easily beat Tito and lost the decision. I consider it a robbery because I don’t know how you could have scored it for Tito.

There are other ones too but that’s all I can think of at the moment. I’ve seen plenty of bad decisions, but robberies are more rare.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When discussing robberies we usually focus on bad judges, but what about referees that have inserted themselves into fights to the point that they decided the outcomes? Some examples I can think of:

1. G-Man vs. Benn: Don’t want to offend my British friends so I will admit potential bias, but I remember the ref literally holding McLellan back after putting Benn through the ropes and providing Nigel with a few crucial extra seconds to clear his head. I also felt Benn got away with a ridiculous number of rabbit punches throughout the fight.

2. Floyd vs. Ricky Hatton: I feel that Ricky’s best chance was to fight inside and maul Floyd, not the prettiest tactic but his only shot at winning. I remember the ref constantly admonishing/warning Ricky and affecting the way he fought.

3. Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor: I think Richard Steele was a great ref and I don’t think his last second stoppage was ill intentioned. That being said, that call cost Taylor more than just his belt and that fight. Maybe Meldrick ends up damaged goods regardless, but he at least deserved to have that win after leaving such a big part of himself in that ring.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    When discussing robberies we usually focus on bad judges, but what about referees that have inserted themselves into fights to the point that they decided the outcomes? Some examples I can think of:

1. G-Man vs. Benn: Don’t want to offend my British friends so I will admit potential bias, but I remember the ref literally holding McLellan back after putting Benn through the ropes and providing Nigel with a few crucial extra seconds to clear his head. I also felt Benn got away with a ridiculous number of rabbit punches throughout the fight.

2. Floyd vs. Ricky Hatton: I feel that Ricky’s best chance was to fight inside and maul Floyd, not the prettiest tactic but his only shot at winning. I remember the ref constantly admonishing/warning Ricky and affecting the way he fought.

3. Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor: I think Richard Steele was a great ref and I don’t think his last second stoppage was ill intentioned. That being said, that call cost Taylor more than just his belt and that fight. Maybe Meldrick ends up damaged goods regardless, but he at least deserved to have that win after leaving such a big part of himself in that ring.
    Benn fell through the ropes so G Man had to be held back.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s weird because when I posted I was thinking the same thing about bad referees.

Rocky Juarez was infamous for having judges on his side. I never thought he was good or even that popular, yet they tried to push him so hard. When he fought Raheem, the referee wouldn’t let Raheem do anything and kept deducting points for no reason. It was so bad. Then Raheem still won most rounds and even with the point deductions should have won the fight, but the judges gave it to Juarez. Awful all around.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

If you watch the fight again you will see that Benn is back in the ring but still out of it. Gerald continually tries to go after him and finish him off and the ref pushes him back multiple times while looking back to make sure Benn has his wits about him. Even the commentators mention it. One of them aka what the hell the ref is doing....

I may be biased though, so watch for yourself and make up your own mind.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched it again, definitely not biased. He holds G-Man back twice to give Benn more time. Disgraceful.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

If you watch the fight again you will see that Benn is back in the ring but still out of it. Gerald continually tries to go after him and finish him off and the ref pushes him back multiple times while looking back to make sure Benn has his wits about him. Even the commentators mention it. One of them aka what the hell the ref is doing....

I may be biased though, so watch for yourself and make up your own mind.
    Yes he did get in the way 3 times which was more incompetence and nerves than helping Benn. It was fraction of seconds and G Man was given enough chance to finish Benn off. The ref split them very quickly which favours G Man as Benn would have preferred tying him up him to survive.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

1. Agreed, if that fight was in the US it would have been a TKO 1. Props to Benn for mounting the come back the very next round. The fight should have been stopped when G-Man couldn't hold his mouthpiece in properly. A ringside doctor would have probably taken a close look these days (I would hope)

2. You have to fight/play the way the ref calls it...it happens in every sport and the absolute BEST fighters are the ones who can adapt and make the ref work for them, the worst is Andrew Golota handsdown because a ref would warn him and then he'd be all "Ya mean like this?" (repeats foul) "So you're saying I can't do this right here?" (repeats foul)....my word that guy. Lots of promise as a boxer, not much as a thinker

3. Meldrick Taylor did himself and IMO the boxing world a disservice by becoming a Philly Brawler. He was SUCH a promising fighter, handspeed like nobody else, but I guess Lou Duva and being from the Smokin' Joe Frazier Gym he ended up being more of a pressure fighter instead of a pure boxer....nothing wrong with being a pressure fighter, but he would have lasted longer and done better in his career had he been punched less. In the fight vs Buddy McGirt Lou Duva told Taylor to fight like Hank Armstrong....a very tall order for any fighter...I think there was this idea that he could walk through everyone like that just because of his handspeed, power, and stamina and that was NEARLY true, but hell as a fighter you have to be able to find multiple routes to your end destination it's not good just to have 1 path to victory which is what they did for JCC...but who knows if the judges would have scored it for him had he coasted for the final rounds.

I'm not much of a Lou Duva fan at all

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd vs. Ricky Hatton: I feel that Ricky’s best chance was to fight inside and maul Floyd, not the prettiest tactic but his only shot at winning. I remember the ref constantly admonishing/warning Ricky and affecting the way he fought.
    That crooked ref Cortez must have been paid off by Mayweather's management.

Hatton appeared to be winning until he was deducted a point for nothing, after that the dodgy ref was in his face repeatedly for no good reason and Ricky became frustrated. He was fighting two men in there that night.

Cortez did a lot of shady stuff in other fights, I remember one time the HBO commentators called him out for it.

Andre Ward has always been far dirtier than Hatton ever was, but his scumbag home referees let him get away with it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about the extra time Wilder received vs Ortiz?

Or Bute vs Andrade.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not just the fan speaking and with mass respect to both Benn and McClellan but I always felt G Man had his fair share of shots behind the ear back of the head as well. Not that either were malicious or looking to build a foul with it but that was an absolute free swinging exchange market as long as it lasted. Benns ducking and weaving in 1st on the ropes saw two arcing McClellan bombs also catch him on the back-top of head to help him out of the ropes. Tremendous onslaught regardless and frankly shocked Benn made it back in under 10 seconds. McClellan was meant to be something special and the amount both took from flush shots really cut them short. G Mans after care and tragic quality of life can indict the sport and it's officials. Good mention on the mouthpiece and even early with McClellan motioning to his head you started to get a feeling he was a fighter in distress but it all caught up in the worst way.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

Floyd vs. Ricky Hatton: I feel that Ricky’s best chance was to fight inside and maul Floyd, not the prettiest tactic but his only shot at winning. I remember the ref constantly admonishing/warning Ricky and affecting the way he fought.
    That crooked ref Cortez must have been paid off by Mayweather's management.

Hatton appeared to be winning until he was deducted a point for nothing, after that the dodgy ref was in his face repeatedly for no good reason and Ricky became frustrated. He was fighting two men in there that night.

Cortez did a lot of shady stuff in other fights, I remember one time the HBO commentators called him out for it.

Andre Ward has always been far dirtier than Hatton ever was, but his scumbag home referees let him get away with it.
    Have to admit didn't care for Cortez and his love to be a part of the action. Reminded of the Humberto Soto "L" to Francisco Lorenzo by DQ. Lorenzo gets battered from bell 1 but puts on an Oscar winning performance on after thought pulled punch from Soto and Cortez loses the plot.

Thread Information