38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default IBF orders Abraham-Lorenzo

from fightnews...

IBF orders Abraham-Lorenzo!
    Sauerland Event, promoter of IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham, has begun discussions with Warriors Boxing about a rematch against Edison Miranda in Abraham's planned June invasion of the United States. However, it appears Abraham will likely be facing undefeated mandatory challenger Giovanni Lorenzo instead. "The IBF has sent a letter to Abraham's promoter and to my promoter (Main Events) that negotiations must begin immediately for his mandatory defense against me," said Lorenzo. "I've been waiting a long time for this title opportunity and I'm not going to let politics in boxing screw me out of chance. I thank the IBF very much for supporting me." Below are the contents of the IBF letter to Abraham dated March 31:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: IBF orders Abraham-Lorenzo

Bravo for Lorenzo...

I don't think he's ready, but he'll learn alot from this experience. imo, he is similar in skill and experience to Miranda when he faced Abraham. He would have to do everything right, and throw straight punches, which is more than we can expect from him right now.

Abraham can fight Miranda with or without the belt... besides, I don't think Miranda really wants it at Mwt.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That should make for a good fight, not entirely sure that it's the right fight. Right now the IBF is the minor leagues when it comes to the middleweight belts. I want to see Pavlik - Winky and of course that comes after Pavlik - Lockett so maybe it's best that the IBF ties up Abraham for a bit to give Pavlik and Wright some time to let their bout materialize. I think that is far and away the fight that needs to happen, and I don't think that Abraham factors into the middleweight discussion before he fights out of his backyard and additionally, for me at least, clears that tainted W over Miranda. Supposedly, he's looking to do both.

If he's going to fight in the U.S., this isn't a bad opponent to start with. In fact, I might be selling him short calling him an opponent. Haven't seen a whole lot of Abraham to know how they match up but Lorenzo has good power, balance and is a combination puncher who doesn't let up much from the gas pedal. He leads with the right hand a lot which I don't typically like but unlike most, he doesn't fall in so much so he can put punches after. Still, a bit wild and from what I've seen of Abraham, he's accurate and can make pay for wild punching.

So not sure about this one. Should be entertaining if nothing else and since I'm not really begging for 160 to be unified, this isn't so bad.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've totally cooled on Abraham. Just don't like his style, waits too much, and for a guy with usually pretty good technique he throws some wild power shots at times. That and his stamina doesn't seem great, probably hence the waiting.

Not like he's shit, just don't think he's as good as I thought he could have been when he was coming up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big step up for Lorenzo, but I'm still picking him for the upset.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    That should make for a good fight, not entirely sure that it's the right fight. Right now the IBF is the minor leagues when it comes to the middleweight belts. I want to see Pavlik - Winky and of course that comes after Pavlik - Lockett so maybe it's best that the IBF ties up Abraham for a bit to give Pavlik and Wright some time to let their bout materialize. I think that is far and away the fight that needs to happen, and I don't think that Abraham factors into the middleweight discussion before he fights out of his backyard and additionally, for me at least, clears that tainted W over Miranda. Supposedly, he's looking to do both.

If he's going to fight in the U.S., this isn't a bad opponent to start with. In fact, I might be selling him short calling him an opponent. Haven't seen a whole lot of Abraham to know how they match up but Lorenzo has good power, balance and is a combination puncher who doesn't let up much from the gas pedal. He leads with the right hand a lot which I don't typically like but unlike most, he doesn't fall in so much so he can put punches after. Still, a bit wild and from what I've seen of Abraham, he's accurate and can make pay for wild punching.

So not sure about this one. Should be entertaining if nothing else and since I'm not really begging for 160 to be unified, this isn't so bad.
    Yeno, I've really cooled on the idea of Pavlik-Winky. I can't see Wright winning it. In fact I can see it finishing him. I'm board of listening to him moan about the fights he doesn't get when he isn't really making the effort to go out and get the fights that would help him. Abraham is undefeated, a champion and is the biggest threat to Kelly's throne.

This is good for Lorenzo, but I wanted a Miranda-Abraham rematch to be honest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    It's a step up for Abraham too compared to Elcock & Ayala! I'm with you on the upset!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    It's a step up for Abraham too compared to Elcock & Ayala! I'm with you on the upset!!!

lol Abraham is actually one of my fave fighters but you are not wrong there.

Abraham's and Felix Sturm's managers seem to be able to scour the world looking for the least deserving, least threatenting opponents that they can get away with putting their fighters in the ring with.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Abraham's and Felix Sturm's managers seem to be able to scour the world looking for the least deserving, least threatenting opponents that they can get away with putting their fighters in the ring with.
    Is Abraham really one of your favorites?

I give him a lot of credit for the courage he displayed against Miranda & he has scored some pretty sweet KO's but he is very very far from one of my faves. Maybe its the smurf thing or I could be missing something!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Is Abraham really one of your favorites?

I give him a lot of credit for the courage he displayed against Miranda & he has scored some pretty sweet KO's but he is very very far from one of my faves. Maybe its the smurf thing or I could be missing something!

Good post. I agree .

Thread Information