Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is next for Canelo?

Canelo Alvarez has revealed that his next fight on May 4 in Las Vegas will be against an American boxer.

This appears to support recent reports suggesting he will be back in action against Jermall Charlo, the twin brother of his last opponent Jermell Charlo.

In September, Canelo began a three-fight pact with Al Haymon's PBC.

He was initially supposed to face inactive WBC middleweight (160lbs) world champion Jermall Charlo on that date.

However, Jermall was not ready for the bout and so his brother Jermell Charlo jumped in and took the opportunity instead.

Jermell was the undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO super-welterweight (154lbs) world champion at the time.

Therefore he jumped up two weight classes to challenge Canelo for his undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO super-middleweight (168lbs) world titles.

In the end, the weight disparity was too much for him and the Mexican star dominated the fight for a comfortable unanimous decision win.

It is unconfirmed who will be Canelo's next opponent on May 4, though the two names recently reported to be frontrunners were Jermall Charlo and Jaime Munguia.

Canelo has now announced on TV Azteca in Mexico that his next bout will be against an American, not a Mexican.

This rules out Munguia and appears to support the reports claiming Jermall is next.

There could yet be a curveball, with David Benavidez and Terence Crawford also in the mix as American boxers who have called out Canelo and are linked with Haymon's PBC.

However, Jermall now appears to be the clear frontrunner and all indications suggest it will be he who steps into the ring with Canelo on May 4 in Las Vegas.

https://talksport.com/sport/1748413/...ence-crawford/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is next for Canelo?

if it's jermall, it might just be time to hand in my canelo fanclub badge
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never had the badge until Canelo unbelievably went up to super middleweight and unified the division.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    if it's jermall, it might just be time to hand in my canelo fanclub badge

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jermall has said that he hasn't talked to uncle al since his last fight, seeming to indicate that he's not fighting canelo in may
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Something feels really off about the "big" announcement. So the fights are still free in Mexico...well ok. It came off like a two parter but still waiting on the other shoe to drop as far as opponent. Wondering if it fell through or just hasn't been set yet. Canelo is a master at the string along. At the point where if it's not Benavidez then I'm not hard pressed for it. Can't fight guys out of your division forever Canelo.

Said it before, an undisputed champion has an obligation to defend against division top and mandatory challengers. Especially when you have two labeled champs in your own house.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Something feels really off about the "big" announcement. So the fights are still free in Mexico...well ok. It came off like a two parter but still waiting on the other shoe to drop as far as opponent. Wondering if it fell through or just hasn't been set yet. Canelo is a master at the string along. At the point where if it's not Benavidez then I'm not hard pressed for it. Can't fight guys out of your division forever Canelo.

Said it before, an undisputed champion has an obligation to defend against division top and mandatory challengers. Especially when you have two labeled champs in your own house.
    there are rumours, not from the best sources that canelo's guarantee hasn't been put into an escrow account yet & canelo gave them an extention, that is why no opponent was announced

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Canelo fights on TV free in Mexico? That is why he is huge and a mainstream start there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there are rumours, not from the best sources that canelo's guarantee hasn't been put into an escrow account yet & canelo gave them an extention, that is why no opponent was announced
    Now the chatter is no Benavidez in 2024, depending on who ya trust. So no Bud, Charlo or Benavidez.

Bring on Berlanga ffs . You'd think the 'face of boxing' would have it figured less than 90 days out. It's probably Charlo..

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now the chatter is no Benavidez in 2024, depending on who ya trust. So no Bud, Charlo or Benavidez.

Bring on Berlanga ffs . You'd think the 'face of boxing' would have it figured less than 90 days out. It's probably Charlo..

Oh PLEEEEEASE..... not Berlanga.

That's all I need. For Canelo to feast on an overhyped Puerto Rican and get an undeserved spot on the storied PR-Mexico rivalry. I'm not a Berlanga fan, and honestly wish he'd just go away and keep cutting records and shit. I don't think he's dedicated enough. Whatever happened to Mungia? I know Canelo says "no Mexicans", but I'm sure he'd make an exception for Munguia, knowing full well he poses no danger to him. No... the only acceptable opponent here is Benavidez. But we all know that's NOT gonna happen. It's not in the Hollywood script.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

edgar might lose his next fight

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly hope you're right. I'd hate to see him face Canelo. Easy pickings for the red-headed diva.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't see any american's for canelo to fight at light-heavy or cruiser either

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Oh PLEEEEEASE..... not Berlanga.

That's all I need. For Canelo to feast on an overhyped Puerto Rican and get an undeserved spot on the storied PR-Mexico rivalry. I'm not a Berlanga fan, and honestly wish he'd just go away and keep cutting records and shit. I don't think he's dedicated enough. Whatever happened to Mungia? I know Canelo says "no Mexicans", but I'm sure he'd make an exception for Munguia, knowing full well he poses no danger to him. No... the only acceptable opponent here is Benavidez. But we all know that's NOT gonna happen. It's not in the Hollywood script.
    Yeh he's playing games a bit with the "it's an American" thing. The whole announcement was bait and switch so as expected fans follow along. The inner hopeful non cynical fan in me that remains says you simply do not bleed out and string along a major fight announcement unless it's a major fight. At this point announcing a Charlo would be universally booed off the stage...surely. Munguia would be fun but is more Dollar General compared to Benavidez. Time for the King and face of boxing to sac up.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo can basically do whatever he likes at this stage of his career, similar to how floyd ended his. i'd be okay if it's a shit opponent in may if there's a big fight guarantee for september. i was thinking he could fulfil the ibf mandatory against william scull but he's not american. please don't give us boo boo or caleb part two

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Thread Information