Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: George Groves Announces Retirement

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,333
    Mentioned
    806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1029
    Cool Clicks

    Default George Groves Announces Retirement

    George Groves has announced his retirement





    "To my friends, family, and all of the people have supported me throughout my career. After taking a little time to reflect on the recent events in my career,I have decided that it is time for me to retire as a professional fighter.In 2017, I boxed in front of a home crowd in Sheffield and became the WBA super middleweight world champion. After four attempts I finally fulfilled my childhood dream, and the experience was as great as I had always imagined it would be. It was without doubt the best moment of my career.Some of you might think it odd that I’m choosing this time to retire. I’m still young, still fit and healthy, and there are still some big fights out there for me.But it’s for these reasons I am choosing to retire now.I have a young family at home; it’s time to spend some my better days with them. I don’t want there to be a time when I’m “too old” to box on, or where an injury retires me in or out of the ring.Over the years I
    have seen and sadly known the dangers of the sport, and I want to respectfully bow out while I’m at the top of my game. I’ve learned that doesn’t always mean coming off the back of a win.I’ve boxed at the highest level, all over the world, I’ve been a champion, and I’ll be leaving the sport (relatively!) intact.Boxing has been good to me and I believe I have been good for boxing.I hope I entertained you all; I have always strived to be the best fighter I can be."




    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxi...ws-And-Rumours
    Last edited by Beanz; 01-29-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    Fair play to him, all he ever wanted was to be world champion and it took him 4 times of asking to do it, nice to see he isn't just going to cash in on a meaningless domestic fight against the winner of Jr and DeGale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18,971
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1603
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    What happened to Gutknecht (coma) then his last loss made his mind up for him.
    He deserved a world title and made a shitload of cash along the way.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    432
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    @Master, delete your thread , everybody prefers @Beanz's !
    in all seriousness, I'm happy and sad about this all in one. I'm happy he's gone out on his own terms, but it's just a shame he couldn't have beaten Smith and a rematch with DeGale.
    But I reckon he'll be financially secure . Groves is my favourite British Boxer in a long, long time. Technically I loved what he did , his "crouch and prowl" Style was more American than British , but he was very good at it. And his self belief was amazing.
    Who will ever forget the lead up to the first Froch fight and how he delivered on everything he said.
    I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I just really liked how he went about things in and out of the ring . And we've all got him to thank for bringing everyone to their senses about the merits of young Chwistopher by exposing him for what he is.........a very limited Boxer.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,002
    Mentioned
    1467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2708
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    George Groves: Former WBA world super-middleweight champion retires.

    Former WBA world super-middleweight champion George Groves has announced his retirement from boxing.

    Groves, 30, lost his world title to fellow Briton Callum Smith in the World Boxing Super Series final in September.

    It was his 32nd bout in an 11-year professional career and in announcing his retirement Groves said he "knew the desire to fight had left" him.

    He said: "I don't want there to be a time where I'm 'too old' to box, or where injury retires me."

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/47026148
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,002
    Mentioned
    1467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2708
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    I thought Groves could have fought De Gale if he was to beat Eubank Junior but since he has beaten both he had nothing to prove.

    Always felt Groves was vulnerable to the right hand but his jab was his best asset and he put a masterclass when it got going.

    Loved it when he became eventually became a world champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,333
    Mentioned
    806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1029
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    Froch amazingly still manages to make himself seem like even more of a knob than many people already thought he was


    "Will I miss him? Probably not," Froch wrote in a column for Sky Sports. "But I can't deny that Groves made a massive, positive impact on the end of my career. Between us we filled Wembley and raised the bar for the next generation, led by Anthony Joshua of course, to box there, regularly.
    "Groves certainly played his part in all that. A big part. He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with, but I have to be honest, I never found him funny or clever.
    "What I will say about him though is well done for becoming a world champion. Even if I was not his biggest fan, I was glad to stand up applauded his win over Fedor Chudinov at Bramall Lane."



    Bit harsh? Quite possibly. Regardless, Froch has praised Groves for recognising the right time to retire.
    He added: "But I won't miss him and I am not sure that British boxing will miss him, these days at least. There was nothing left out there for him.
    "He lost to Callum Smith, who is now top of the super-middleweight world and it wasn't like it was a close or controversial defeat, he was conclusively beaten and there was never going to be a rematch.
    "Groves helped me finish my own career in the best way possible, so now it's his turn to call it a day. Fair play to him."


    https://www.givemesport.com/1447915-...ng?autoplay=on
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,313
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    904
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Froch amazingly still manages to make himself seem like even more of a knob than many people already thought he was


    "Will I miss him? Probably not," Froch wrote in a column for Sky Sports. "But I can't deny that Groves made a massive, positive impact on the end of my career. Between us we filled Wembley and raised the bar for the next generation, led by Anthony Joshua of course, to box there, regularly.
    "Groves certainly played his part in all that. A big part. He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with, but I have to be honest, I never found him funny or clever.
    "What I will say about him though is well done for becoming a world champion. Even if I was not his biggest fan, I was glad to stand up applauded his win over Fedor Chudinov at Bramall Lane."



    Bit harsh? Quite possibly. Regardless, Froch has praised Groves for recognising the right time to retire.
    He added: "But I won't miss him and I am not sure that British boxing will miss him, these days at least. There was nothing left out there for him.
    "He lost to Callum Smith, who is now top of the super-middleweight world and it wasn't like it was a close or controversial defeat, he was conclusively beaten and there was never going to be a rematch.
    "Groves helped me finish my own career in the best way possible, so now it's his turn to call it a day. Fair play to him."


    https://www.givemesport.com/1447915-...ng?autoplay=on

    Don't expect anything less from that weapons grade bellend. He has no class and no self-awareness. "He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with".

    I'll remember Groves for several things, but above all else for one of the most enjoyable few minutes of boxing culminating in him sticking Froch on his fucking arse exactly as he said he would. That moment was a massive fucking buzz.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

    Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    432
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Froch amazingly still manages to make himself seem like even more of a knob than many people already thought he was


    "Will I miss him? Probably not," Froch wrote in a column for Sky Sports. "But I can't deny that Groves made a massive, positive impact on the end of my career. Between us we filled Wembley and raised the bar for the next generation, led by Anthony Joshua of course, to box there, regularly.
    "Groves certainly played his part in all that. A big part. He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with, but I have to be honest, I never found him funny or clever.
    "What I will say about him though is well done for becoming a world champion. Even if I was not his biggest fan, I was glad to stand up applauded his win over Fedor Chudinov at Bramall Lane."



    Bit harsh? Quite possibly. Regardless, Froch has praised Groves for recognising the right time to retire.
    He added: "But I won't miss him and I am not sure that British boxing will miss him, these days at least. There was nothing left out there for him.
    "He lost to Callum Smith, who is now top of the super-middleweight world and it wasn't like it was a close or controversial defeat, he was conclusively beaten and there was never going to be a rematch.
    "Groves helped me finish my own career in the best way possible, so now it's his turn to call it a day. Fair play to him."


    https://www.givemesport.com/1447915-...ng?autoplay=on

    Don't expect anything less from that weapons grade bellend. He has no class and no self-awareness. "He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with".

    I'll remember Groves for several things, but above all else for one of the most enjoyable few minutes of boxing culminating in him sticking Froch on his fucking arse exactly as he said he would. That moment was a massive fucking buzz.
    Nobody disliked Froch as much as me, and I’m with you all the way on this. But we all know Froch is a smug fucker, and what he’s saying is distasteful , but he’s saying what he thinks and at least he’s not being fake.
    I thought the night Groves won the World title, that this was all being put to sleep. But Froch can’t help himself.
    To be fair to him, he’s never denied that Groves was a big big part in his successful career.
    Wembley was all down to Groves.
    Yeah, Froch is classless , but he says what he thinks. The only thing I can take issue with from all that , is him saying British Boxing won’t miss Groves. Who does he think he is! He’s not the voice of fucking Boxing. British Boxing will look back in time with more affection for Groves than they will for Froch. And Froch knows that.
    Fuck me, if only Groves won the first fight!
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 01-29-2019 at 05:21 PM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    I know that this thread is all about George Groves but I can't not put this in here


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,617
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1040
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Froch amazingly still manages to make himself seem like even more of a knob than many people already thought he was


    "Will I miss him? Probably not," Froch wrote in a column for Sky Sports. "But I can't deny that Groves made a massive, positive impact on the end of my career. Between us we filled Wembley and raised the bar for the next generation, led by Anthony Joshua of course, to box there, regularly.
    "Groves certainly played his part in all that. A big part. He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with, but I have to be honest, I never found him funny or clever.
    "What I will say about him though is well done for becoming a world champion. Even if I was not his biggest fan, I was glad to stand up applauded his win over Fedor Chudinov at Bramall Lane."



    Bit harsh? Quite possibly. Regardless, Froch has praised Groves for recognising the right time to retire.
    He added: "But I won't miss him and I am not sure that British boxing will miss him, these days at least. There was nothing left out there for him.
    "He lost to Callum Smith, who is now top of the super-middleweight world and it wasn't like it was a close or controversial defeat, he was conclusively beaten and there was never going to be a rematch.
    "Groves helped me finish my own career in the best way possible, so now it's his turn to call it a day. Fair play to him."


    https://www.givemesport.com/1447915-...ng?autoplay=on

    Don't expect anything less from that weapons grade bellend. He has no class and no self-awareness. "He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with".

    I'll remember Groves for several things, but above all else for one of the most enjoyable few minutes of boxing culminating in him sticking Froch on his fucking arse exactly as he said he would. That moment was a massive fucking buzz.
    Nobody disliked Froch as much as me, and I’m with you all the way on this. But we all know Froch is a smug fucker, and what he’s saying is distasteful , but he’s saying what he thinks and at least he’s not being fake.
    I thought the night Groves won the World title, that this was all being put to sleep. But Froch can’t help himself.
    To be fair to him, he’s never denied that Groves was a big big part in his successful career.
    Wembley was all down to Groves.
    Yeah, Froch is classless , but he says what he thinks. The only thing I can take issue with from all that , is him saying British Boxing won’t miss Groves. Who does he think he is! He’s not the voice of fucking Boxing. British Boxing will look back in time with more affection for Groves than they will for Froch. And Froch knows that.
    Fuck me, if only Groves won the first fight!

    Why will british boxing have have more affection for Groves? Really asking, since he didn’t have nearly the career that froch did.. just more likeable and all?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    22,967
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2825
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    I always liked Groves style and he learnt everything from Booth/Haye about conducting himself outside the ring, however, although a very popular British fighter he never crossed over to the mainstream. He's not going to roll off the tongue with Calzaghe, Benn, Eubank and Froch when discussions of all-time great supermiddles come up.

    Probably make a good pundit.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,313
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    904
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Froch amazingly still manages to make himself seem like even more of a knob than many people already thought he was


    "Will I miss him? Probably not," Froch wrote in a column for Sky Sports. "But I can't deny that Groves made a massive, positive impact on the end of my career. Between us we filled Wembley and raised the bar for the next generation, led by Anthony Joshua of course, to box there, regularly.
    "Groves certainly played his part in all that. A big part. He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with, but I have to be honest, I never found him funny or clever.
    "What I will say about him though is well done for becoming a world champion. Even if I was not his biggest fan, I was glad to stand up applauded his win over Fedor Chudinov at Bramall Lane."



    Bit harsh? Quite possibly. Regardless, Froch has praised Groves for recognising the right time to retire.
    He added: "But I won't miss him and I am not sure that British boxing will miss him, these days at least. There was nothing left out there for him.
    "He lost to Callum Smith, who is now top of the super-middleweight world and it wasn't like it was a close or controversial defeat, he was conclusively beaten and there was never going to be a rematch.
    "Groves helped me finish my own career in the best way possible, so now it's his turn to call it a day. Fair play to him."


    https://www.givemesport.com/1447915-...ng?autoplay=on

    Don't expect anything less from that weapons grade bellend. He has no class and no self-awareness. "He will be remembered for all those mind games and smart words he came out with".

    I'll remember Groves for several things, but above all else for one of the most enjoyable few minutes of boxing culminating in him sticking Froch on his fucking arse exactly as he said he would. That moment was a massive fucking buzz.
    Nobody disliked Froch as much as me, and I’m with you all the way on this. But we all know Froch is a smug fucker, and what he’s saying is distasteful , but he’s saying what he thinks and at least he’s not being fake.
    I thought the night Groves won the World title, that this was all being put to sleep. But Froch can’t help himself.
    To be fair to him, he’s never denied that Groves was a big big part in his successful career.
    Wembley was all down to Groves.
    Yeah, Froch is classless , but he says what he thinks. The only thing I can take issue with from all that , is him saying British Boxing won’t miss Groves. Who does he think he is! He’s not the voice of fucking Boxing. British Boxing will look back in time with more affection for Groves than they will for Froch. And Froch knows that.
    Fuck me, if only Groves won the first fight!

    Why will british boxing have have more affection for Groves? Really asking, since he didn’t have nearly the career that froch did.. just more likeable and all?
    Yeah, because most people (rightly) think Froch is a smug, arrogant, needy prick. Have to respect Froch as a fighter but he is pretty unlikable.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

    Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,084
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    432
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I always liked Groves style and he learnt everything from Booth/Haye about conducting himself outside the ring, however, although a very popular British fighter he never crossed over to the mainstream. He's not going to roll off the tongue with Calzaghe, Benn, Eubank and Froch when discussions of all-time great supermiddles come up.

    Probably make a good pundit.
    Agree with all of that , and Froch will get more kudos than Groves as a Boxer over his whole career obviously.EXCEPT that I don't think Froch comes into that group above either. Yes he had titles, yes he regained a title , but he was always second fiddle to Ward, and his fight with Ward exposed his limitations.
    regarding crossing over to the mainstream, you're right , but he was closer to that than Froch despite Froch being on Dancing on Ice or whatever it was. Groves drew bigger crowds, and more neutrals just because of his character.
    Wembley would never have happened if it wasn't for Groves, and Froch virtually admits that.

    Answering a previous post because I can't be bothered to do 2 replies , so this isn't aimed at your post, Groves will be remembered with more affection than Froch simply because he was more liked than Froch.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,313
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    904
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: George Groves Announces Retirement

    I saw a guy at the gym the other day wearing a Froch-Groves II t-shirt. Just so you know .

    I feel that fight was the tipping point with British boxing. From then on things changed and being well known within boxing circles/fans translated to being fairly well known in a general sense too.
    Before that you had to 'transcend' the sport in Britain to be known to the average man/woman on the street and only a handful did that.
    After that, you could be well known to the general sporting public without having to 'transcend' the sport.
    The sport itself became big enough that having a high-profile within British boxing circles became enough to have some general recognition in the wider public too.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

    Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. George Groves next opponent
    By nuggetdotcom in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM
  2. If St. George Groves wins...
    By ykdadamaja in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 10:34 AM
  3. George groves....
    By THE PHILOSOPHER in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 10:45 PM
  4. How far do you think George groves will go
    By Glinchdogg in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
  5. George Groves....
    By FTMatty in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing