Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  55
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who won? GGG or Jacobs?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think won? GGG or Jacobs?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who do you think won? GGG or Jacobs?

I just watched it and I thought Jacobs won it by 2 rounds. Considering GGG won a 10-8 round, that's pretty conclusive. But having said that, there are many ways to score a fight and I wouldn't say it was a robbery .
    I think it's a lot of factors all adding up to what happened, GGG isn't getting any younger, he struggled to cope with a bigger, stronger guy, he didn't cut down the ring as well as he normally does and he looked a little ponderous.
    The one good thing is that we now have a definitive idea of GGG's Level. He's no ATG, but he is a very respectable champion, who was maybe exposed a little.
    Despite the fact that I think Oscar is a wanker, maybe he's timed this just right for his guy. I'm still not sure though.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    GGG won. It's not a robbery or anything, just a very competitive fight and our perception has been "alterated" by the fact that many expected GGG to just smoke Jacobs out at some point because he used us to it. A very very competitive fight and I hope there will be a second bout at some point.
    Very well said. I don't see a rematch happening tho Jacobs deserves one.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I just watched it and I thought Jacobs won it by 2 rounds. Considering GGG won a 10-8 round, that's pretty conclusive. But having said that, there are many ways to score a fight and I wouldn't say it was a robbery . I think it's a lot of factors all adding up to what happened, GGG isn't getting any younger, he struggled to cope with a bigger, stronger guy, he didn't cut down the ring as well as he normally does and he looked a little ponderous.The one good thing is that we now have a definitive idea of GGG's Level. He's no ATG, but he is a very respectable champion, who was maybe exposed a little.Despite the fact that I think Oscar is a wanker, maybe he's timed this just right for his guy. I'm still not sure though.
    I don't think you can form a definitive idea of anyone's level from one fight. I also don't believe this idea that GGG was exposed. It's not as though all his former opponents were absolute nobodies. Give Jacobs some credit he gave Golovkin a proper fight and elevated his own standing in doing so. Can't see where you get his two round win from either without believing that not getting backed up and being battered from pillar to post wins him a round. You have to win a round be being more effective, stopping your opponent working effectively, and landing more, and Jacobs most certainly did not do that for 7 rounds IMO.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Wait, you gave GGG 8 rounds? I'd absolutely love to hear which. That's madness. I have no problem with the decision. It was a close fight but giving GGG 8 rounds is silly.
    I don't score rd-by-rd when watching fights live (i can easily do that to make a case for either fighter, there were several close swing rounds). I believe the rd-by-rd scoring system is badly, badly flawed, hence it throws up so many "robberies." (example - on the world feed Kevin Kelly had the fight scored a draw going into the 12 rd but was dumbfounded by his own scorecard as he thought Golovkin was clearly winning the fight, then tried to justify it by waffling about "you have to rip the belt from the champion, do more than him" and all that nonsense).

I fully accept Jacobs won several rounds (even to the point that people thought he won). He wasn't totally outclassed, his own speed, athleticism and silkier movement made Golovkin look like a stiff plodder at times.

However, overall I feel Golovkin was the rightful/clear winner. He was the more consistent, dominant fighter - especially with his heavy jab - controlled the action, threw more punches, got hit less and won rounds by bigger margins than Jacobs.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only watched the highlights and it looked like golovkin deserved it from that

I know that means little, they were extended highlights mind
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haven't read all of the replies, so forgive me if this has already been said, but this fight reminded me of Roy vs Tarver. I thought Roy gutted that close win out, due to Tarver having lapses in action and seeming to not go all out when he needed to, despite clearly having Roy's "number". I think everyone, including GGG AND Jacobs, were surprised at how effective Danny was in that ring. I am a big GGG fan, but I feel a more confident Danny wins the rematch, and that this is the beginning of the end for GGG.

A second thought/observation was that Jacobs is a fighter who tends to overlook certain opponents and struggle/lose to guys he should beat. To get stopped by Pirog and dropped by Mora, but go the distance in a tough fight with GGG and blow out Quillin makes little to no sense. It's obvious that your best strategy vs Jacobs is to make sure he doesn't view you as a threat in any way....

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

I had Golovkin winning

Whoa. Who are you and what did you do to Denilson.
    Whatever it was, thank you... and welcome to Saddo's.

The rest of your explanation was pretty good, too.

But as I say GGG was not impressive, so is he a commie hype job ?

Well, the wheels on the GGG hype train are getting wobbly as phuk

Oh wait... Denilson appears to be back. Rats!

I don't think he can beat Canelo or Ward

100 percent agree with one..... 1,000 percent DISagree with the other.
    No way in hell GGG beats Ward.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Haven't read all of the replies, so forgive me if this has already been said, but this fight reminded me of Roy vs Tarver. I thought Roy gutted that close win out, due to Tarver having lapses in action and seeming to not go all out when he needed to, despite clearly having Roy's "number". I think everyone, including GGG AND Jacobs, were surprised at how effective Danny was in that ring. I am a big GGG fan, but I feel a more confident Danny wins the rematch, and that this is the beginning of the end for GGG.

A second thought/observation was that Jacobs is a fighter who tends to overlook certain opponents and struggle/lose to guys he should beat. To get stopped by Pirog and dropped by Mora, but go the distance in a tough fight with GGG and blow out Quillin makes little to no sense. It's obvious that your best strategy vs Jacobs is to make sure he doesn't view you as a threat in any way....
    I think the weight made a big difference. GGG punches were not as effective but he still put Jacob's down. Next time GGG will not allow that much lead in time from the weigh in to the fight. Therefore I think GGG would beat Jacob more convincingly in the rematch.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

I think the weight made a big difference. GGG punches were not as effective but he still put Jacob's down. Next time GGG will not allow that much lead in time from the weigh in to the fight. Therefore I think GGG would beat Jacob more convincingly in the rematch.
    The weight makes a huge difference. Don't forget the extra weight behind Jacobs's punches, and the extra weight behind the slip and shoulders to the chin and having to hold his his weight up when he clinches and leans on you. You can tell they tried to bottle it... Especially at the post fight press conference when Jacobs said he probably weighed 175 in the ring. (When he already 176 @8am that morning, 15 hrs before the fight and his camp admitted they wanted to come in big). Technically its legal at this point (outside the IBF) but not very sporting.

GGG should say sure if he wants to avenge the loss, he can challenge me for the IBF belt to see if Jacobs is that confident in his skills without the weight. If not Jacobs can go up to super middle, fight other fighters rehydrating up to the same weight, win a belt and see if Gennady wants to move up challenge for him for it. I wouldn't be high on Jacobs in a rematch till i see how he fairs in his next fight. Truthfully, Golovkin seems to have a way of changing fighters and they aren't the same. Also is jacobs going to put his entire entourage (algieri, conte, hill, etc etc --aside from Rozier) on his team for the rest of his bouts? or did he blow his wad and this is one and done deal? Cuz quite frankly, he seems content to say they robbed him and milk the applause for his efforts. He's doing all the talking now about how GGG isnt the boogey man people said he was, and how he told GGG that he would have to kill jacobs, and how he traded freely after he got up because he felt he could and calling himself gracious in defeat... but no rematch... maybe hes had his fill.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Master: can see many of your points and think they are valid, but tend to disagree with you. I'm a fan of two individuals making a previously agreed upon weight, at a specific time. Rehydration clauses are silly, in my opinion, not to mention unnecessary. James Toney rehydrated to 186 by the time he fought Roy and was thoroughly beaten. Tarver and Tito BOTH rehydrated to be heavier than Hop, and he dominated both of them. Some individuals are able to wring the water out of their system and rehydrate effectively for a while, but this habit tends to backfire justa S often as it works.

I'm a big GGG fan, and supporter. That being said, I think Jacobs exposed what we all suspected may be an Achilles heal for GGG, namely tight defense, durability, and movement/angles. We were surprised that Danny's chin, after showing previous vulnerabilities/concerns held up, but I don't think that had to do with the weight as much as Danny being mentally prepared for what was coming. Maybe the rematch works out different than I expect (if it happens), but just like Douglas, Oscar, and Tarver set the blueprints to beat Tyson, Tito, and Roy, I feel Jacobs took what success Brook had, and expounded on that as the bigger man. I see people coming in less intimidated and GGG having a more difficult time in the future. I acknowledge that I may be mistaken though...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Wait, you gave GGG 8 rounds? I'd absolutely love to hear which. That's madness. I have no problem with the decision. It was a close fight but giving GGG 8 rounds is silly.
    I don't score rd-by-rd when watching fights live (i can easily do that to make a case for either fighter, there were several close swing rounds). I believe the rd-by-rd scoring system is badly, badly flawed, hence it throws up so many "robberies." (example - on the world feed Kevin Kelly had the fight scored a draw going into the 12 rd but was dumbfounded by his own scorecard as he thought Golovkin was clearly winning the fight, then tried to justify it by waffling about "you have to rip the belt from the champion, do more than him" and all that nonsense).

I fully accept Jacobs won several rounds (even to the point that people thought he won). He wasn't totally outclassed, his own speed, athleticism and silkier movement made Golovkin look like a stiff plodder at times.

However, overall I feel Golovkin was the rightful/clear winner. He was the more consistent, dominant fighter - especially with his heavy jab - controlled the action, threw more punches, got hit less and won rounds by bigger margins than Jacobs.
    I hear what you're saying , but unfortunately we have to score it like that because that's how they score it. I can also understand what you're saying about GGG being "the rightful winner." I don't necessarily agree though.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I just watched it and I thought Jacobs won it by 2 rounds. Considering GGG won a 10-8 round, that's pretty conclusive. But having said that, there are many ways to score a fight and I wouldn't say it was a robbery . I think it's a lot of factors all adding up to what happened, GGG isn't getting any younger, he struggled to cope with a bigger, stronger guy, he didn't cut down the ring as well as he normally does and he looked a little ponderous.The one good thing is that we now have a definitive idea of GGG's Level. He's no ATG, but he is a very respectable champion, who was maybe exposed a little.Despite the fact that I think Oscar is a wanker, maybe he's timed this just right for his guy. I'm still not sure though.
    I don't think you can form a definitive idea of anyone's level from one fight. I also don't believe this idea that GGG was exposed. It's not as though all his former opponents were absolute nobodies. Give Jacobs some credit he gave Golovkin a proper fight and elevated his own standing in doing so. Can't see where you get his two round win from either without believing that not getting backed up and being battered from pillar to post wins him a round. You have to win a round be being more effective, stopping your opponent working effectively, and landing more, and Jacobs most certainly did not do that for 7 rounds IMO.
    I think that in order to rate somebody, we have to ascertain their level. Because GGG has , let's be honest , wiped the floor with every other previous opponent he's faced , we can't work out where he's at . With this fight, because it was closely matched, whether one believes he won or not , we at least get an idea for the Level that GGG is currently at . Golovkin is nearly 35, so it's conceivable that he may have been better in previous years, but as it stands we know where he is.
    nobody said all his opponents were nobodies, and I give Jacobs massive credit , to the extent that I feel he won the fight .
    What I don't understand is you question about the credit I give him, but at the same time question that I felt he won the fight. For the record , it's fairly straightforward, I felt he won more rounds than GGG despite GGG winning a 10-8 round.
    I don't think that's controversial, loads of people had it like that, and I did point out that I could see how other people saw it differently. that's the Beauty (and Beast) of Boxing I'm afraid.
    and when I say he got exposed, I did say "a little". I just felt that in the past fights he closed down the ring far more effectively. This time , more than likely due to the weight difference to a certain degree , he didn't manage to do that.
    you have to understand , and if you read up my historic posts about GGG, that I am no GGG Hater. I've always been a fan, and I still like the guy, no question. But I have to be honest, I felt he lost the fight. You clearly felt he won, that's fine.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had Jabobs ahead but could see a draw. There were about 2 or 3 rounds that were very close and hard to score.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I had Jabobs ahead but could see a draw. There were about 2 or 3 rounds that were very close and hard to score.
    I thought that initially watching it live but not scoring the fight. When I did GGG won a large portion of the early rounds, caused more damage not just the knock down but round 9 he hurt Jacobs and had underrated jab which kept Jacobs honest. 7-5 was my score for GGG
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Jacobs did more then enough to win the fight but he was going to have to super dominate to get the win. I just hope a fight with Canelo or a rematch happen i think Jacobs will leave no question next time out.

Thread Information