Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kassim Ouma to drop to Welterweight !!!

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Kassim Ouma to drop to Welterweight !!!

KASSIM OUMA PLANNING MOVE TO WELTERWEIGHT
    By G. Leon

Former IBF junior middleweight champion informed Boxingtalk that should he defeat contender champion Sergio Mora on Golden Boy Promotions "Fireworks" event next weekend, a move to the scalding hot welterweight division appears likely. "I'm 157 pounds right now and I'm eating and drinking. After this fight I'm going to be looking for the big names at 147," said Ouma. More to follow

www.boxingtalk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kassim Ouma to drop to Welterweight !!!

If Ouma can make the weight comfortably he will be a force in the WW division...I always said he would make a good WW even when he was IBF champ at 154....His workrate would pick up so would his power increase,,,Though he has little of it at 154 and even less at 160......Business will be picking up even more at 147 if he joins the ranks...if that is possible
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been saying for a while now that I'd love to see Ouma in the ring against fellow African Joshua Clottey. That would be non-stop action.

Obviously 147 is where the money is right now, but Ouma could probably go to 154 and win some belts, given the lack of talent in that division.

ICB Guest

Agreed with both of you

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never got into Ouma really, I just don't see hunger in him I don't see a fire there.

I'll never forget the day he lost to Karmazin I had just gotten home and had stopped by 'Boston Market' to buy dinner I came home just in time for the fight it was televised on 'Boxeo De Oro' in HBO:Latino. It was really good fight to watch and Karmazin showed a lot of hunger that night.

Anyway, I personally don't think Ouma can beat a top champ he might beat the #5, 6, 7 contenders but I don't he has it to beat a top champ.
    I think Cotto, SSM, Cintron and Paul all beat him. I really don't think theres much he can do there as far as champion there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really think ouma can do some things at welter.I think he's always been in the doorway,on the edge of breaking through.He seems at times distracted and caught up in "Mean mugging" Though.He has faced solid rugged vetran types coming up,Imo he needs to stick with that more boxer & fluid counter power He has shown.He needs to stay focused &get back to his boxing w/power.Ouma v.Quartey Or Forrest Would be good at j.mid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's going to have to be exciting rather than dominant if he wants to get fights at 147lbs, it's a double egded sword for Ouma, he can be more competitive at 147lbs but at the same time, no one needs a tough night when there's no big pay day.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    He's going to have to be exciting rather than dominant if he wants to get fights at 147lbs, it's a double egded sword for Ouma, he can be more competitive at 147lbs but at the same time, no one needs a tough night when there's no big pay day.
    I think that is a really good point when it comes to Ouma. I like him, he has a great story behind him, and he deserves a lot of respect for doing what he has in his life considering where he started; but I've never really found him that exciting in the ring. He throws punches non-stop and never stops coming forwards, but for some reason I don't find his fights that compelling. Maybe it the hunger that Mick talked about that is lacking, but with his style it seems like he should be a must see fighter.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    I think that is a really good point when it comes to Ouma. I like him, he has a great story behind him, and he deserves a lot of respect for doing what he has in his life considering where he started; but I've never really found him that exciting in the ring. He throws punches non-stop and never stops coming forwards, but for some reason I don't find his fights that compelling. Maybe it the hunger that Mick talked about that is lacking, but with his style it seems like he should be a must see fighter.
    He should not worry about ticket sales also,Ouma is on the pin point of also ran type right now.If he wants to be exciting ,Throw skills out the window,plod forward and eat punches while chuck'n leather he should keep doing what he's doing.He can be dominant AND exciting at one time.He needs To Use His Skills and want to be more than an opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Never got into Ouma really, I just don't see hunger in him I don't see a fire there.

I'll never forget the day he lost to Karmazin I had just gotten home and had stopped by 'Boston Market' to buy dinner I came home just in time for the fight it was televised on 'Boxeo De Oro' in HBO:Latino. It was really good fight to watch and Karmazin showed a lot of hunger that night.

Anyway, I personally don't think Ouma can beat a top champ he might beat the #5, 6, 7 contenders but I don't he has it to beat a top champ.
    I think Cotto, SSM, Cintron and Paul all beat him. I really don't think theres much he can do there as far as champion there.
    Did you eat the Boston Market Chicken? I'm not too keen on them myself although I really like to cook my own stuff.

Anyway, I'm not too sure that Ouma would have the energy at 147 that he has at 154 but if he does, fair play to him. He seems like a good guy and a decent fighter. The way that Karmazin dominated him though does not bode well for his future although Max Schmelling dominated Joe Louis in their 1st fight and we all know that history....
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Ouma can get down to that weight and not get drained doing so, I can't see him being anything less than exciting. His constantly coming forward style along with his ability to keep throwing punches would really be well served if losing the weight also meant that he gained power. He also has a really good chin.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by taansend
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

Did you eat the Boston Market Chicken? I'm not too keen on them myself although I really like to cook my own stuff.

Anyway, I'm not too sure that Ouma would have the energy at 147 that he has at 154 but if he does, fair play to him. He seems like a good guy and a decent fighter. The way that Karmazin dominated him though does not bode well for his future although Max Schmelling dominated Joe Louis in their 1st fight and we all know that history....
    Turkey, cream of spinach & garlic dill potatoes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

147 just keeps getting better. Think of all the top names and truly tough opponents. Cotto, PBF, Mosely, Judah, Clottey, Cintron, Wiliams, Margarito........not to mention some pretty tough lower tier guys like Collazo. Ouma better get his shit together for this........your not in 154 anymore Dorothy!
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    If Ouma can make the weight comfortably he will be a force in the WW division...I always said he would make a good WW even when he was IBF champ at 154....His workrate would pick up so would his power increase,,,Though he has little of it at 154 and even less at 160......Business will be picking up even more at 147 if he joins the ranks...if that is possible

You said everything i wanted too lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been too high on Kassim either to be honest and I have not been impressed with him since his defeat against Karmazin. I'd choose all the top WW over him and I don't think he brings anything to the table either so there would be no real incentive to fight him.

Thread Information