Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Terence Crawford vs Shawn Porter

Everywhere I’m looking “Porter was winning the fight”. I wish people would differentiate. Shawn was winning rounds, at no point was he winning the fight. There is a difference

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bradley: It's the sharpness that;s giving problems to Bud."

Disagree again with Tim. Bud's smiling isn't like those guys who come in angry get hit & smiles. Bud was genuinely laughing- drawing the first comment I agreed when he said...Uh, oh a fight is about to break out.

Didnt break out rather Bud, just kept Porter in a container. Wont let him get off the shelf, nor open up shop. It's Bud that is sharp IMO. Porter is just doing his workman like performance, proving he made it to the top by effective & non effective aggresion.
    Not many can do what was done to Sean- made to look ordinary.

That 8th round, Bud whew!!!! Combos upstairs , downstairs, straight lead left. This is the round he displayed a lil of everything. Mean ass body shot. AFTER Sean landed IMO the best shot of the night for him, got Bud's attention, maybe shook a bit, but he easily shook it off.

9th round again I disagree with Tim who said Bud was missing the jab, I felt he used it, but more so to pary Sean's.
    Round after round Bud was dispensing something different.
    Nice exchanges between both in the 9th, I still had to go with Bud.

1st KD was so quick. Porter became Porter started throwing everywhichaway, Bud kept composed wide eyed and saw everything he shot. Evaded, countered and dropped him again!

Not sure I would've stopped it. But maybe that was the dad in him and not the trainer in him. Walked to his dad, then walked away. Seemed genuinely upset at pops.

Loved the embrace Bud gave to Sean. You can see how devastated Sean looked. Also showed how much respect Terrence had for Sean.
    I'd say this is the last hoorah for ShowTime Sean. That's the kind of stoppage, that can drain a man's confidence, reducing him to a lower tier.

He wasn't beaten up physically as much as he was drained mentally & emotionally by the Budster.

Congrats to Terrence, he put on a ShowTime Performance.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Good fight- I am now confident in saying Crawford is a legitimately great fighter. I think he stops Spence. Danny Garcia was catching Spence with counter and lead rights regularly- Crawford takes his head off.
    Indeed a great performance from Sean, but here is something interesting to flip the script.
    Yes, Danny did catch Spence
    BUT!!!!.....
    Remember when Gamboa caught & ROCKED Bud?

I don't think he can stop Spence based on that, but who knows!!!

Let's hope we get to find out real soon!!!!!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, his dad was blunt as hell. Said his son didnt prepare. When fighters get to a certain stage they dont always take in what you tell him, so I had to protect him from himself.

Sean -stood there...slowing backing away from the cameras as his pop berated him in front of the world.

I just saw a headline that states Sean Porter hangs up gloves, but I couldnt access the link.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

I just saw a headline that states Sean Porter hangs up gloves, but I couldnt access the link.
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/11/...rd-boxing-news

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say this is the last hoorah for ShowTime Sean. That's the kind of stoppage, that can drain a man's confidence, reducing him to a lower tier.

He wasn't beaten up physically as much as he was drained mentally & emotionally by the Budster.

Congrats to Terrence, he put on a ShowTime Performance.
    I saw it. He may change and come back when he's bored or the money is tricked off, but hopefully he can -maybe oh, become a commentator?
    Great career Porter. As Crawford stated- he was chosen because Sean says no to NO one. Aggressive fighter who gave his all & pushed fighters to become greater.

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/11/...rd-boxing-news

Thank you!!!

Question Palmerq; was that out of frustration? Being emotional? Think he'll be back...soon?!
    I hope not. He can still win some fights, but it seems his daddy mustve made him do the some soul searching. If he clowned him in front of the world like that, I am sure they had that discussion during/after training on several occasions.

His Father reminds me a bit of Shane's father. When it got bad enough, they stopped thinking like a trainer and thought like a concerned father, not sure if that is good or bad.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 11-21-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@palmerq link hightlights this man's career

Porter (31-4-1, 17 KOs)
    Became a world champion when he defeated Devon Alexander for the IBF welterweight title in 2013.

A demolition job on Paulie Malignaggi

Lost his title by majority decision to Kell Brook in 2014.

A close decision defeat to then WBA champion Keith Thurman in 2016,

Won the vacant WBC belt against Danny Garcia in 2018.

Narrowly defeating Yordenis Ugas,

(add on) he Beat 2 ABs LOL! aka Andre Berto & Adrian Broner

Porter unified titles with Errol Spence Jr but lost a split decision in September 2019.

His final win came against Sebastian Formella in August 2020.

Loss to a Potential HOFer and current P4P Bud Crawford

Now that is a damn good resume! Thank YOU SHOWTIME SEAN, Will miss that big ole smile!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correction- A GREAT resume!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sean Porter post fight interview top comments:

"I took too many shots, hands were down bad defense."

"Crawford does more than everything exceptionally well"

"My dad and I didnt have an up or down conversation during this fight, so I wasnt really sure where the scorecards were."

"Fighting Spence wasn't as tough as fighting Crawford"

"I was hesitant and I didnt put my foot in the gas pedal enough" <<<<----That was NOT what the commentators said. I disagreed with them and Sean proved my point!

"I am prepared to retired even if I won or loss. I am announcing my retirement right now"

APPLAUSE OCCURRED! 7:27 IN....

TOP COMMENT-
    He respected Ward who was asked why not come back and fight Canelo, you got one more left in you.
    Sean stated that was boss, when a fighters responds...why can't I retire ...with that one left (still) in me.

"You guys expect us to fight for 15-20 years... yet you hope we leave the game with our health in tact"
    Sean is stating, he is leaving the game knowing he has his health. No need to continue especially with this comment here:

"I am NOT GONNA BE A GATEKEEPER"

"I jumped out of planes with my son. Ive raced him driving 100 mph per hour. When he was dropped in this fight, I didnt see that get up in him, so I knew it was time. "

--Kenny Porter
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 11-21-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was this your best performance, Bud said no, I agree.

THE BEST COMMENT I'VE HEARD IN YEARS:
    'Bob Arum couldn't secure the Spence fight when I was with him ,so how is he gonna secure it if I am not with him?"
    --Bud Crawford

and he said that...with Arum sitting RIGHT NEXT TO HIM!!!!!!

This is a great example IMO of a fight that was close each round, but overall wasn't close.

IMO at his age- he still hasn't showed his best. I think it is Spence that can bring the best out of him. Don't wanna say this, but Porter is an example of a one-trick pony. His thing was forward aggression. Not really a Plan B, C fighter. So once Bud nullified his best asset, that was it!!!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1st few rounds, Crawford's body language was calm, relaxed. Disagreed with Ward/Bradley on the Porter maintiaining control- that isnt his forte. Was it the 3rd? Bud bulldozed the bulldozer into the ropes. Not as embarrasing as MAB shoving Hamed's head to the turnbuckle but it was telling to see how easily Bud spun Sean around, bullied him to the ropes.

Bradley: If Crawford thinks Porter is gonna slow down
    When he stated that- naw, Porter was in check. He was trying to have controlled aggresion because he knows the skill level of Bud wouldn exploit his weakness.
    4th round was the 1st for me in seeing Sean be Sean.
    Didn't rattle Terrence at all.

Sean's expression serious- Bud's temperment IMO was like a kid on the playground having fun.

The cut over Sean's eye- didnt phase him, not the kind of guy that panics.

Kudos to you guys who felt Bud would easily reduce him, I figured Porter would make him earn it.

midrounds, loved the way Bud kept touching that body. Bud stayed inside, that headbutt he got was worse than Sean's, yet it didn't phase him.
    Man, great insights throughout that whole post. I just want to focus on that observation/reference of Crawford bulldozing Porter. The one question I had, and the one major advantage I gave Porter, was the strength and physicality aspect vs Crawford. I always viewed Crawford as a skinny guy and I thought there was potential for Porter to just maul him and tire him out. First, Bud looked more muscular and ripped than I have ever seen him. Second, when I saw him manhandle Porter like that and when I saw him use his shell defense to basically walk Porter down and push him back I knew the fight was his. Very impressive performance in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight was better than I expected. I had Porter slightly ahead and he put on a very good performance not mauling and spoiling his own work. His dad was harsh on him but that is what dad's do.

That was an impressive performance from Crawford considering the challenge. He was calm, poised and his ring intelligence was top draw. I always knew he was good but not good enough to beat Spence but now I am not so sure.

Spence walked out when Porter was stopped. Crawford saying he did not know Spence was in the audience was funny as well.

Crawford v Spence has to be made at all cost.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t think Crawford is as good as everybody else seems to. Solid technician, good skills, good chin ….. but maybe I’m missing something as he’s no Ray Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Pacquiaio or Mayweather?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=X;1579057]I don’t think Crawford is as good as everybody else seems to. Solid technician, good skills, good chin ….. but maybe I’m missing something as he’s no Ray Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Pacquiaio or Mayweather?[/QUOTE

Of that list of names, at 147, I don’t think PAC or Mayweather are Leonard, Hearns, or Duran. Both are similar ATGs, but really the two standouts at 147 are the natural welters- Hearns and Leonard. All the other fighters fought up at that weight because they were so dominant at lower weights and that was where the best comp was. In a true p4p sense, Floyd, Manny, Duran, and Crawford were all better at lighter weights. It would be like making that comparison for Hearns/Leonard at 160.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fight. Got a lot more respect for Porter now, and his retirement (however long it lasts?) because he don’t want to be a gatekeeper.
    Basically @Ron Swanson and @SlimTrae hit the nail on the head. Porter was winning rounds but Crawford was comfortably winning the fight, and And it is a great example of a fight that was close each round, but overall wasn't close.
    Spot on.
    Why do I look at Crawford’s career and feel disappointed and a bit hard done by?
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 11-21-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information