Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest boxing BUSTS- Fighters that had hype but no fight!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Biggest boxing BUSTS- Fighters that had hype but no fight!

Title says it all:

1. Jerson Ravelo- Had commercials and endorsements WAY before they were a thing in boxing. Turned out to be a bust when Allen "Sweetness" Green turned him out and Andre Ward brought out the hoe in him! I thought he had something, honestly. But he was just a dud!

2. Audley Harrison- JUST NEVER HAD IT. Another widely publicized entry into the pro-game, just never had it. Another multi-million dollar endorsement before even lacing up the gloves for a pro fight. Never lived up!

3. David Price- I swear, if he does not retire, he is going to get himself SERIOUSLY injured. The pro-game is not for Price, man. It's not for him. It's over. He is going to get himself hurt. He is done for.

4. Ricardo Williams- 2000 silver medalist at the Olympics. High prospect. Could fight. But could not stay focused enough to leave the streets and the street-life. Just a total waste. He is still young enough to make a comeback, but for all intents and purposes his fight career is over!

I know, I know...Some of you guys wanna say the Charlo's and a few others like Povetkin, etc, etc.... But the Charlo's actually WON something substantial and Povetkin, while he never won a title, he never got dusted by scrubs like these guys. These guys were finished before they even got started!

Anymore mentions?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Biggest boxing BUSTS- Fighters that had hype but no fight!

Audley Harrison got a fat £1 million contract from BBC and wasted our licence fee.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Audley Harrison got a fat £1 million contract from BBC and wasted our licence fee.
    I bet that was the last time THAT happened. lololol...

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Unfortunately BBC never got involved in boxing again at any meaningful level.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol....

Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

So you never wasted that license fee again?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A few more:
    1. Francisco Bojado: Tons of hype around the same time Ricardo Williams was getting his push. Once he raised his level of opposition it all fell apart for him.
    2. Mark Breland: Olympic gold medalist thought to be the greatest talent of the magnificent 84 team which included Evander, Whitaker, and Meldrick Taylor, to name a few. Won a couple of titles, but never came close to reaching the levels predicted/expected for him.
    3. Howard Davis jr.: Gold medalist who was so dominant and good, people thought of Ray Leonard as a distant second. Never even won a world title as a pro.
    4. Zab Judah: Massive hype surrounded this talented phenom. Kostya Tszyu’s right hand brought everything crashing down around him. Won some decent fights and titles, even limping in to the welterweight lineal championship, but never reached the level of hype he received.

El Kabong Guest

Good call on Bojado! There was a time he was seen as on par OR BETTER than Hatton and Cotto!

Danny Romero should have been bigger.

Rock Allen, his not achieving his in ring potential wasn't his fault. He was in a bad car wreck apparently.

Kirk Johnson, he had talent he just didn't achieve what he should have. He should have beaten Ruiz into submission! He should have challenged Vitali a little!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    A few more:
    3. Howard Davis jr.: Gold medalist who was so dominant and good, people thought of Ray Leonard as a distant second. Never even won a world title as a pro.
    i liked howard davis a lot. he had a problem. he fought in his head. he thought about what he was doing. he didnt think about what the other guy was doing. so he looked great, maybe perfect, and then he got hit.

thats the problem so many guys have. they get stuck in their own heads. its always "i'm going to do this" and "i'm going to do that" like they are looking at themselves box.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Verdejo.
    Seth Mitchell, although he never seemed that solid.
    Lacy?
    Frankie Gomez, more wasted talent.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Zab Judah should not be on the list.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    A few more:
    i liked howard davis a lot. he had a problem. he fought in his head. he thought about what he was doing. he didnt think about what the other guy was doing. so he looked great, maybe perfect, and then he got hit.

thats the problem so many guys have. they get stuck in their own heads. its always "i'm going to do this" and "i'm going to do that" like they are looking at themselves box.
    I knew Howard Davis jr lost to our Jim Watt but forgot he drew with Meldrick Taylor.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Verdejo.
    Seth Mitchell, although he never seemed that solid.
    Lacy?
    Frankie Gomez, more wasted talent.
    Those are also good calls. I was never much sold on Seth Mitchell, but he was a decent enough athlete to compete even though he got started late. Jeff Lacy was a good call too.

I think a big duo which fit this bill are Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Hector Camacho Jr. they certainly weren't helped by the celebrity of their fathers. Both were good solid boxers on their own, but the hype they got from their fathers was really big.

David Reid probably fits the bill here, but his repeated eye injuries did his career in. He was a good solid fighter.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Zab ain't no bust, man. He won titles and did what he was supposed to. lolol.... You make it seem as if beating Tzsyu, Mayweather and Cotto were easy things to do if he could have.

Franciso Bojado is a GOOD call. I didn't forget him, but just felt he was too obvious.

I think we are too hard on Jeff Lacy. Sure, he had a head of steam and lots of power- But, at that time and now with the benefit of hindsight, did we REALLY expect him to beat: Calzaghe, Roy Jones or Jermain Taylor? Even though a good shot to the chin could have upended Taylor? Did we REALLY expect him to compete against Kessler, Froch, Abraham OR Andre Ward? Shit, to me, Lacy and Allen "Sweetness" Green is a pick-um fight- and no disrespect to Green either, but I would take Green to win by KO!!!

Well, in some respect, Chavez Jr. was kinda/sort of a bust-- But to those that saw him anywhere CLOSE to being like his father. Which to me, I never bought into him. But I can give you guys that one....

Seth Mitchell- A never was. lololol....

Kirk Johnson- ANOTHER GOOD CALL. I could have SWORN Johnson could have won it all. At the time, he had me thinking he could.

Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

See I think with Zab Judah his entire career is told in the Tszyu fight....he's athletic, talented, and completely unfocused when it gets to crunch time. I think a focused Zab Judah would have been a southpaw version of Floyd Mayweather Jr. he was that good at his best, probably more 1 punch power in that left hand too...but he was fucking worthless if he wasn't up for a fight.

I didn't expect JC Jr to be the equal to his father, but I also didn't expect for him to """draw""" with Carlos Molina, """beat""" Matt Vanda by a split decision, get popped for taking a diuretic in his fight vs Troy Rowland (whom he also """beat"""), Sebastian Zbik ALSO should have beaten JC Jr, Brian Vera should have beaten him, Fonfara schooled him and since then he's been a part timer.

Camacho Jr as well was going great guns until he ran into Omar Weiss who schooled him and Weiss was basically a Jr Welter while Camacho Jr was a full blown welterweight. After that it was all downhill, but he's got a fight scheduled for this January 26th.

Thread Information