Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Floyd's jab

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,500
    Mentioned
    642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    651
    Cool Clicks

    Default Floyd's jab

    Since the first time I saw Floyd, it was love at first sight with his jab. It is phenomenal. In my opinion the best jab, perhaps one of the best punches in boxing. That and his defense have certainly played a large part in his great career. (If he hit a women with that jab he would probably kill her) I have yet to see anyone have an answer for it. I guess Maidana had some success negating it with that swarming but that fight (the first Maidana match up) his opponents have been forced to continuously eat that jab. What do you think Manny can do about this. Actually I'll alert @NVSemin and @greynotsoold as they get into the particulars of such things.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,404
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    829
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    As a southpaw, Manny needs to throw the right hook over Floyd's jab and turn him, and step around and start blitzing him with combos and force Floyd to use his legs early to get try to get him out of there. The sooner he gets started the sooner Floyd's legs will wear down.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

    Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,500
    Mentioned
    642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    651
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    Excellent, thank you. The first few rounds will be important for Manny. I doubt Floyd will use them as the feel out rounds as he does in most of his fights but it is possible. I can't imagine Manny will be swinging at air as Canelo and Gurrero did but it won't be an easy fight for either of these guys. Nice to talk particulars of the fight rather than the trash talk we all have been engaging in. Perhaps I shouldn't have made that comment of Floyd hitting women with his jab to keep this more serious from the start.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    McAllen, Texas?
    Posts
    5,275
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    955
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    To hit Manny with his jab May weather needs to do one of two things. First, he needs to get his left foot outside Pac's right foot, make him jab and then jab back over the top. Being taller and having a reach advantage he can do it but maintaining the foot position would make him use his legs more than I expect he wants to
    The other option is what I would tell him to do. Give Pac the position he wants- his right foot outside- and encourage him to throw his straight left. May weather gets behind his left shoulder so the right hook isn't going to hit him. PAC wants to work his left; every time he does, jab. Floyd has a fast jab and his left his closer to Manny's head than the straight left is to his.
    And Manny has to get himself past that left to land his. Start it low and bring it up and it is a damaging punch.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,500
    Mentioned
    642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    651
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    To hit Manny with his jab May weather needs to do one of two things. First, he needs to get his left foot outside Pac's right foot, make him jab and then jab back over the top. Being taller and having a reach advantage he can do it but maintaining the foot position would make him use his legs more than I expect he wants to
    The other option is what I would tell him to do. Give Pac the position he wants- his right foot outside- and encourage him to throw his straight left. May weather gets behind his left shoulder so the right hook isn't going to hit him. PAC wants to work his left; every time he does, jab. Floyd has a fast jab and his left his closer to Manny's head than the straight left is to his.
    And Manny has to get himself past that left to land his. Start it low and bring it up and it is a damaging punch.
    thanks, I called on you as I knew you would have done good stuff. I'm also very interested to hear @NVSemins take on things, thanks again grey, I knew you would have good stuff, especially by what you were talking about in your training work In anther thread

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1108
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    May weather's jab to the body is what really impresses me. He knows how to throw that shot without getting hit with a counter, and that shit saps your energy. I remember him actually knocking a guy down with a jab to the body in one of his early fights. Loved how he would step into that fucking punch.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    None of your buisness.
    Posts
    7,691
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1532
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    Manny being quick and a pressure fighter doesn't bode well for Mayweathers style. He's gonna be in a fight, he's used to people being scared of his counters. I don't think Manny is. It's gonna be a knockout one way or the other.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ex'way to your Skull
    Posts
    25,024
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    pacquiaos straight left hand is a lot faster than Floyd realizes. I don't think Floyd is going to be able to simply counter that straight left hand with his own Jab so easily

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    701
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    764
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Why is that only when Floyd is using his jab effectively, it's referred to as "potshotting"?

    Not from posters here, but overall.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    293
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    pacquiaos straight left hand is a lot faster than Floyd realizes. I don't think Floyd is going to be able to simply counter that straight left hand with his own Jab so easily
    Manny is a sucker for the right hand,and he squares-up perfectly for Mayweather's body jab.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,404
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    829
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    This guy picked up on it too. I'm not sure on the other points he makes, but turning mayweather will get him in a position where Manny can use his flurries and get mayweather on the run, pepper the left flank to rack up some points and possible sneak some left hooks in later...due the philly shell's stylistic shortcomings against southpaws.

    https://youtu.be/DJwa9pGpD1Q?t=3m16s
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 04-29-2015 at 08:41 PM.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

    Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1108
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    This guy picked up on it too. I'm not sure on the other points he makes, but turning mayweather will get him in a position where Manny can use his flurries and get mayweather on the run, pepper the left flank to rack up some points and possible sneak some right hooks in later...due the philly shell's stylistic shortcomings against southpaws.

    https://youtu.be/DJwa9pGpD1Q?t=3m16s
    You do realize he's using Chop Chop Corley his example... a fight that happened 11 years ago and a guy that Floyd dominated. It's an idea, but Floyd is the best fighter in the game at adapting. He's not the same guy he was 11 years ago, just like Pac isn't the same guy he was 11 years ago.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,978
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1216
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    I'm more worried about his right straights or cross than his jabs. Pac is vulnerable to those when he lunges forward. He does have some defense against them though, holding his hands high and covering his face, like Winky Wright's turtle-shell defense. No doubt he'll be hit with those so what shall he do? He'll just have to make his offense his defense, meaning, just try to out-punch Floyd. So I think in the final analysis, the real question is whether Pac can take Floyd's punch or not. If he can, Floyd is done, imo, and I think he can. We shall see...
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    293
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post
    I'm more worried about his right straights or cross than his jabs. Pac is vulnerable to those when he lunges forward. He does have some defense against them though, holding his hands high and covering his face, like Winky Wright's turtle-shell defense. No doubt he'll be hit with those so what shall he do? He'll just have to make his offense his defense, meaning, just try to out-punch Floyd. So I think in the final analysis, the real question is whether Pac can take Floyd's punch or not. If he can, Floyd is done, imo, and I think he can. We shall see...
    Pac holds his hands too high when he covers up,his stubby arms leave his body exposed.

    Floyd will be on those ribs like BBQ sauce.

    When Pac goes to step on the gas,there will be nothing in the tank.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    293
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Floyd's jab

    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    This guy picked up on it too. I'm not sure on the other points he makes, but turning mayweather will get him in a position where Manny can use his flurries and get mayweather on the run, pepper the left flank to rack up some points and possible sneak some left hooks in later...due the philly shell's stylistic shortcomings against southpaws.

    https://youtu.be/DJwa9pGpD1Q?t=3m16s
    Pac's shortcomings are Floyd's best punches....right hands..and the jab to the belly.

    Floyd also has a mean left-hook,which is poison to a southpaw.

    Manny is so squared-up,and his range is so limited, it doesn't matter that he is a southpaw.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Floyd Sr: Floyd would beat the sh#t out of Broner!
    By FinitoElDinamita in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 06:57 AM
  2. FLoyd reunites with Floyd Sr as head trainer!!
    By FinitoElDinamita in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 07:32 AM
  5. Dela Hoya 2/1 to beat Floyd, Floyd 4/11
    By skel1983 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing