Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Name a time in history it was the good guys banning books

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I have never read a Seuss book. I read good books like Bad Vibes by Luke Haines. Evil books are what I am into. Any man that jumps 15 feet in the dark and breaks his legs is automatically on my list of legends. Leg-ends.

I rest my case your honour
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I have never read a Seuss book. I read good books like Bad Vibes by Luke Haines. Evil books are what I am into. Any man that jumps 15 feet in the dark and breaks his legs is automatically on my list of legends. Leg-ends.

I rest my case your honour
    And then ebay bans anyone from selling the naughty books...whilst of course permitting Mein Kampf.

Now I of course argue that no book should be banned. It is you making the case that it is quite alright because 'culture changes'. Sure, culture is a constantly evolving thing, but books must always remain available as people should have the freedom to make up their own minds.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland, is an Asian person using chopsticks racist? I am happy to go to a restaurant, take a picture, and send the world into meltdown.
    Doesn't matter what I think or what you think. The Seuss estate is what matters. They will have spent money working out exactly what in the books is offensive to an economically significant part of the American population and acted on that. This is down to the economic power of enough people to move the needle who would be offended by the stuff now not for sale. This is entirely down to dollars.

You can bet every publisher is now feverishly going through their back catalogue desperately hoping to find some racist stuff in some of the books they used to sell truckloads of copies of buy now hardly sell any. They'll be conspiring with public relations companies on the best way to make withdrawing this stuff public so that conservative media go nuts over it and they sell truckloads of books.

To be fair they won't have to try hard. Cancel culture stuff is about ninety nine percent of the GOP agenda and conservative media these days. Lots of dollars to be made by smart publishers here. We haven't heard the last of this.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Kirkland, is an Asian person using chopsticks racist? I am happy to go to a restaurant, take a picture, and send the world into meltdown.
    Doesn't matter what I think or what you think. The Seuss estate is what matters. They will have spent money working out exactly what in the books is offensive to an economically significant part of the American population and acted on that. This is down to the economic power of enough people to move the needle who would be offended by the stuff now not for sale. This is entirely down to dollars.

You can bet every publisher is now feverishly going through their back catalogue desperately hoping to find some racist stuff in some of the books they used to sell truckloads of copies of buy now hardly sell any. They'll be conspiring with public relations companies on the best way to make withdrawing this stuff public so that conservative media go nuts over it and they sell truckloads of books.

To be fair they won't have to try hard. Cancel culture stuff is about ninety nine percent of the GOP agenda and conservative media these days. Lots of dollars to be made by smart publishers here. We haven't heard the last of this.
    Don't be so silly. If anything what they have done is make their own stopped product all the more in demand whence copies selling on ebay for thousands of dollars before that too was stopped because they do not want to be involved in 'offensive' material, whilst of course still selling Walrus' favorite 'How to be a Nazi' guidebook otherwise known as Mein Kampf by a bloke called Mr Hitler.

Naked Lunch, Lolita....there are many books that are not in keeping with the thinking of Ordinary Joe, but to be fair nobody thinks a Chinese man using chopsticks is deemed racist by Ordinary Joe. It is just that Twitter minority that you are so into and they are nutjobs.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How short people's memories are..just off the top of my head these are some things the conservative right have called to be cancelled and banned.

Harry Potter (Demonic)
    Judas Priest ( Satanic when played backwards)
    The Simpsons (anti-Christian)
    D&D (Satanic)
    Teletubbies (Gay propaganda)
    Disney's Frozen (Peterson the bellend insisting it was Feminist propaganda)
    Angry Femninsts
    Anti Fascism
    Even very straightforward sex education in schools
    Teaching Evolution
    Kosher Food
    etc, etc

Elvis Presley
    The Beatles
    The Stones
    et cetera.

El Kabong Guest

How short people's memories are..just off the top of my head these are some things the conservative right have called to be cancelled and banned.

Harry Potter (Demonic)
    Judas Priest ( Satanic when played backwards)
    The Simpsons (anti-Christian)
    D&D (Satanic)
    Teletubbies (Gay propaganda)
    Disney's Frozen (Peterson the bellend insisting it was Feminist propaganda)
    Angry Femninsts
    Anti Fascism
    Even very straightforward sex education in schools
    Teaching Evolution
    Kosher Food
    etc, etc
    Wishful thinking from very small populations having little to no impact vs books being banned outright.

And it ain't "Conservatives" seeking to ban Tom Sawyer or To Kill a Mockingbird either.

It's all very silly business

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fair question to ask is why now. Dr. Seuss books have been around for about 80-some years. Why now? I think I know the answer to that... but it's still worth pondering.

Why is it that something that's been around 80-some years is only NOW deemed offensive?

Ditto for Aunt Jemima... ditto for MR. Potato Head... ditto for any number of things/brands/titles/etc. that used to pass for inoffensive, harmless shit.

If it's all economics, wasn't there money to be made beforehand?

Besides... the money is made when shit has to be repackaged/republished/rereleased/etc, etc, etc.

My question is why is it all suddenly offensive NOW?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

A fair question to ask is why now. Dr. Seuss books have been around for about 80-some years. Why now? I think I know the answer to that... but it's still worth pondering.

Why is it that something that's been around 80-some years is only NOW deemed offensive?

Ditto for Aunt Jemima... ditto for MR. Potato Head... ditto for any number of things/brands/titles/etc. that used to pass for inoffensive, harmless shit.

If it's all economics, wasn't there money to be made beforehand?

Besides... the money is made when shit has to be repackaged/republished/rereleased/etc, etc, etc.

My question is why is it all suddenly offensive NOW?
    Good points.

I now have to explain to my mother in law that she is now offensive. I mean she gets on at me for not eating rice 3 times a day, wears baggy trousers and a hat in the fields, she wears traditional costume at weddings, and has those oriental eyes. How dare she be like this fitting all these stereotypes? She has to change because to depict her in animated form as she is would certainly be very offensive.

How is it racist if I can go out and take a picture and show that it is actually true even today? Should other cultures not be as they are to fit some vision of what Twitter or the Grievance studies crowd thinks they should be? I find nothing racist or harmful in this image. There must be something wrong with you if you do and lo and behold he is farming rice. The horror.

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nat.../115_9152.html

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don’t get hung up on just the Dr Seuss this is happening in the US to a large degree. Look what Amazon is doing with “hate speech” and books the NYT won’t review that come from conservative writers, authors they have been reviewing and selling on Amazon and reviewing in the NYT suddenly have no space.

Saturday my wife and we’re out all day and at night Turner Classics played the original “Gone with the Wind” the now “non politically correct version. In other words they just played the film as it was made. Complete with a warning at the beginning. TCM comes under fire for doing this. I’m a classic movie buff and gone with the wind was so many years ahead of its time film wise it’s amazing. Part of our history, well a lot of it wasn’t pretty. Most countries can say the same. England brought slavery to the “new world”. Why can mein kampf be purchased on Amazon but not conservative authors. Why is Django unchained not fussed about. There are actually classic movies that portray slavery much more intensely than Gone with the Wind I hear less about. Slavery was a terrible thing but it happened it’s part of our history. The old south is part of our history. Thank you TCM for playing Gone with the Wind. I just don’t like this shit. You know what I wish I didn’t go to war but it’s part of my history now. I got more thanks than bullets but the bullets are hard to forget. I think war is a horrible waste of human life. Perhaps I’d still romanticize it in a way or not fully comprehend why people come back so fucked up. I wouldn’t have seen how bad females are treated in large swaths of the world, it’s a lot different seeing it than reading about it.

China has some terrible racism, I’m not just talking about the camps I’m talking about humans from certain provinces are looked down upon as subhuman. India with its caste system, fuck how backwards is that shit. So I think the US has come a long way and has done some amazing things but now we can’t separate races, sexual orientation into boxes fast enough. We are going the wrong way. I’ll continue to judge a human for what they do not what they look like. I’ll help out when I can. No issue here with legal immigrants, but we have a homeless and food issue in this country everyday why can’t we take care of that. Devout the resources to people here already, I’ve seen some success stories just not enough. I want the open exchange of ideas from both sides I don’t dismiss my liberal buddies because they think different than me. I also don’t debate them constantly, we have much more common interest that to let politics, race or religion separate us. They can bust my balls about being white Catholic and I can laugh about it. Some of this shit we are doing just seems so stupid.

I don’t want to see a gay American succeed, I don’t want to see an African American succeed, I don’t want to see transgenders succeed I want to see all Americans succeed regardless of what label has been slapped on them. When you are with a small group of people in a war zone you do not give one shit about the race of the guy next to you. He is your brother. You would give your life for him and he would do the same for you. Those aren’t just words when you are in battle you are fighting for the guy next to you. Yes the mission remains set by the brass but you want to make sure everyone with you makes it back, that’s all we are fighting for. When you call in artillery or a strike of some sort, those guys may be miles away but they were thinking the same shit.
    Last edited by walrus; 03-09-2021 at 05:27 AM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How dare Miles have posted that photo of that Korean farmer with that hat. Culture has changed. Surely not EVERY Korean dresses like this in 2021? It now makes it very plain that the intent is to say that ALL Asians are smiling hat wearing farmers. I bet you would even imply that that farmer there uses chopsticks when he eats, but it is 2021 again. Will you be so brazen to say that that farmer eats rice 3 times a day? How brazen if so! Koreans now in 2021 can eat falafel and hummus and tamales and even pizza! Why would they eat rice 3 times a day?? I bet you would even go so far over the line and say he eats soy sauce a lot. And, and, .... uhhh .....

Oh, wait....

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    How dare Miles have posted that photo of that Korean farmer with that hat. Culture has changed. Surely not EVERY Korean dresses like this in 2021? It now makes it very plain that the intent is to say that ALL Asians are smiling hat wearing farmers. I bet you would even imply that that farmer there uses chopsticks when he eats, but it is 2021 again. Will you be so brazen to say that that farmer eats rice 3 times a day? How brazen if so! Koreans now in 2021 can eat falafel and hummus and tamales and even pizza! Why would they eat rice 3 times a day?? I bet you would even go so far over the line and say he eats soy sauce a lot. And, and, .... uhhh .....

Oh, wait....
    Ah wait I will attest I’m pretty sure my wife could eat rice 3 times a day without ever getting sick of it. I try not to eat that much rice as I really like a lot of butter on it. I’ve gotten better and will make Cajun rice with just a little oil. Thing is you could make fun of my wife about being Asian and loving rice and she will flip that shit around and talk about the unhealthy American diet. So she finds nothing racist about it rice is popular and a staple in China really because of tax reasons. FYI backed potatoes are becoming very popular in China the past couple years, every Chinese guest I’ve entertained over the years lives Idaho backed potatoes, oh yeah, how dare miles be so racist.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My friend married to a Filipino was urged to eat his rice. He complained to me 'It clogs me up. I want potato, but she cooks only rice'. I chuckled as I do what I want.

Speaking of culture, when I visited him in Manila we hung out at a place called the Hobbit Bar with only dwarves working there. Twitter would be aghast. It was awesome.

Heck, if you can have strip clubs, we can have dwarf bars.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 03-09-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Politeness

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Humanity 101

1st lesson: Key words

• INTENT
    • COMMON SENSE
    • DISCERNMENT

Provide definitions of each in 100 words or less.

Provide examples of where these are important with regards to banning of books, flags, movies, expressions, statues, activities, etc.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Humanity 101

• INTENT
    • COMMON SENSE
    • DISCERNMENT

Provide examples of where these are important with regards to banning of books, flags, movies, expressions, statues, activities, etc.
    Sure just tell me why you can buy a copy of mein kampf on Amazon but modern conservator writers are banned. Are they now “literally worse than hitler”?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Humanity 101

• INTENT
    • COMMON SENSE
    • DISCERNMENT

Sure just tell me why you can buy a copy of mein kampf on Amazon but modern conservator writers are banned. Are they now “literally worse than hitler”?

I would refer you back to #1 and 3, although #2 would play a role as well.

Thread Information