Thread: Was Mahatma Gandhi a racist?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was Mahatma Gandhi a racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    If race does not exist then why do my medical reports list me as caucasian? When police hunt a murder suspect I am sure they don't just say 'All murder suspects are mixed race'. They go on height, hair color, and RACE amongst other things. Race exists and it is silly to deny it. I don't think the Japanese mostly think of themselves as black or white though obvious exceptions exist of course as in the likes of Naomi Osaka who is tricking people really as it is her Mum's name and she can barely even speak Japanese.
    Because it's a convenient way of supporting white privilege across the world. I jest but it really is convenience, it's a fuzzy way of dealing with things and that is how the world works. Seriously it's sounds mental, but the reality is the genetic distances found within a 'Race' are larger than the mean genetic distances between races.

It is quite clearly explained here

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...cience-africa/
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    That is debatable Tito. I think the differences are real but the reasons aren't completely known. However, you are right there is a lot of focus on education. Many asian students have a firmer theoretical understanding of English grammar than the Brits do for example. They are better at maths and sciences. It's the same in all East Asian countries. Very smart people. IQ difference between races is factual and I don't think that is racist. It should be a kick up the bum to whites and blacks to sort themselves out and aspire hire. If me and Beanz can achieve distinctions in Masters or Undergraduate programmes despite warped childhoods then so can others. I don't feel inferior. It just makes me want to study harder. It can be a motivating force rather than a means for division. I've nothing against anybody of any color and especially if they are doing their best. It's all you can do. Plenty of smart people of every race out there, but the stats are what they are. Very few of us in any race are going to be Einsteinian anyway.
    Thank you for acknowledging that I am not a complete thicko. Murray and Peterson etc love the idea that they are brave truth tellers that are not afraid of being unpopular or telling uncomfortable truths. They think it boosts their credibility but the reason the Bell Curve and other primitive racist studies fell out of the pubic consciousness was because they were soundly disproved by the scientific community. Putting it simply they can believe there are differences in IQ between 'races' but the Science say's NO. It is this obsession with order and wanting a 'God' figure to have neat little answers that leads them around the garden path.

"To end up with systematic genetic differences in intelligence between large, ancient populations, the selective forces driving those differences would need to have been enormous. What’s more, those forces would have to have acted across entire continents, with wildly different environments, and have been persistent over tens of thousands of years of tremendous cultural change. Such a scenario is not just speculative – I would argue it is inherently and deeply implausible.

The bottom line is this. While genetic variation may help to explain why one person is more intelligent than another, there are unlikely to be stable and systematic genetic differences that make one population more intelligent than the next."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...s-are-unlikely
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

on the contrary I CAN see how those conditions would vary so greatly and remain relatively constant over a very long period of time so as to have those kinds of great differences in general intelligence

El Kabong Guest

Guys, race itself is a social construct....it's why literally ANYONE can give literally ANYONE ELSE a blood transfusion, an organ and/or bone marrow transplant....THEY want you to think race is a thing, but it's soooo not, neither is blood type or whatever matching human leukocyte antigen's is for pussies you just pay no mind to the social constructs and you fucking do it like a champ.

@TitoFan some cultures value education, some don't. Some cultures believe that their success honors their family and their shame shames the family and other cultures don't. Not all cultures are equal.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

#NotAllCultures......😒

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Guys, race itself is a social construct....it's why literally ANYONE can give literally ANYONE ELSE a blood transfusion, an organ and/or bone marrow transplant....THEY want you to think race is a thing, but it's soooo not, neither is blood type or whatever matching human leukocyte antigen's is for pussies you just pay no mind to the social constructs and you fucking do it like a champ.

@TitoFan some cultures value education, some don't. Some cultures believe that their success honors their family and their shame shames the family and other cultures don't. Not all cultures are equal.
    This is just your way of justifying an invented narrative. It has nothing to do with Science, which is why you rather than address what i say, you constantly resort to inserting arguments i never made. If you think life is all about winning you are no better than an ape. What you feel is right and your feelings about 'race' mean fuck all. Facts Lyle.

'There is no necessary concordance between biological characteristics and culturally defined groups. On every continent, there are diverse populations that differ in language, economy, and culture. There is no national, religious, linguistic or cultural group or economic class that constitutes a race.'

http://physanth.org/about/position-s...-aspects-race/
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Race and organ compatibility

In almost every case, race does not affect compatibility. Organs such as heart, liver, and lungs can be donated by a person of one race and transplanted into a person of another race.

However, genetic matches between kidney and pancreas donors and recipients are important. A donated kidney within the same
    race will have a higher degree of compatibility. Ethnic donors can help other people from culturally diverse origins waiting for transplants.

Caucasian recipients and ethnic donors

Some people believe that Caucasians receive preference in donation over individuals from other ethnic backgrounds. In fact, organ and tissue allocation as a policy is based on medical compatibility and severity of illness. Moreover, nine out of ten African-Americans who undergo an organ transplant receive those organs from Caucasian donors.

http://www.donoralliance.org
    Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    This is just your way of justifying an invented narrative. It has nothing to do with Science, which is why you rather than address what i say, you constantly resort to inserting arguments i never made. If you think life is all about winning you are no better than an ape. What you feel is right and your feelings about 'race' mean fuck all. Facts Lyle.

'There is no necessary concordance between biological characteristics and culturally defined groups. On every continent, there are diverse populations that differ in language, economy, and culture. There is no national, religious, linguistic or cultural group or economic class that constitutes a race.'

http://physanth.org/about/position-s...-aspects-race/
    Ok then if you say so.

You know, we're all very lucky to have a poster like you....I mean before you came around nobody was able to read between the lines like you, you know, tell other posters what they REALLY meant.

You're a credit to your ummm phylum

Race and organ compatibility

In almost every case, race does not affect compatibility. Organs such as heart, liver, and lungs can be donated by a person of one race and transplanted into a person of another race.

However, genetic matches between kidney and pancreas donors and recipients are important. A donated kidney within the same
    RACE will have a higher degree of compatibility
    . Ethnic donors can help other people from culturally diverse origins waiting for transplants.

Caucasian recipients and ethnic donors

Some people believe that Caucasians receive preference in donation over individuals from other ethnic backgrounds. In fact, organ and tissue allocation as a policy is based on medical compatibility and severity of illness. Moreover, nine out of ten African-Americans who undergo an organ transplant receive those organs from Caucasian donors.

http://www.donoralliance.org
    A donated kidney within the same what now?

I'm happy for when organs can be used to save lives, I'm happy when blood and bone marrow can be used to save lives, but it's not mean or nasty or negative to note that people are different and those different people (100% of humanity I'm talking here) should be giving of their blood (if they want), giving of their organs (if they so choose), and giving of their bone marrow (should they so choose) because people genetically similar to them might need bone marrow, they might need blood transfusions, they might need organs....it's important.

I remember that being driven home to me when I learned of former baseball great Rod Carew whose daughter struggled with acute myeloid leukemia but her very rare ethnic mix made it extremely difficult to find a good match. Her father was black with West Indian and Panamanian roots and her mother was of Russian-Jewish ancestry. Carew pleaded for those of similar ethnic background to come forward. When no matching bone marrow donor was found, an umbilical cord blood transplant was performed in March 1996. Michelle died on April 17, 1996 at the age of 18....it's a tragic story and as someone who has had friends with leukemia back when we were young young, when it was an absolute death sentence for a child yeah it's weighed on my mind a bit over the years.

So yeah I have some gallows humor, yeah I am not politically correct, but in this case....yes there's some genetic things that need to be specific in order for everything to end up ok when doing a transfusion or donation....that's all I'm saying just in a crass manner....didn't mean for you to get irked by it. My apologies

I'm an organ donor...I need to donate blood more often, and I do need to bite the bullet and do the marrow donation. I give good blood though...O Neg baby, universal donor
    Last edited by El Kabong; 09-19-2018 at 04:44 PM.

El Kabong Guest

Don't know who would want my kidneys or liver though.... ....I mean I am making pretty good use of those at the moment

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle. I am not Irked. I don't think you are being mean or nasty . Stop Projecting and fucking read something for once in your life.
    Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Lyle. I am not Irked. I don't think you are being mean or nasty . Stop Projecting and fucking read something for once in your life.
    OK then...why take issue with my post?

OK then ...why take issue with my post?

I'm not projecting, at the end of the day I'm just saying race means more than nothing but it ain't everything.....what's the crime with that? Oh I posted it...yeah yeah I get it, no worries...as you were

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whether race "exists" or not is not an argument I personally would spend too much time on. These things have a tendency to get all convoluted and wrapped up in semantics, word games, and braniac contests. My laser focus here is on racism, since the thread title is "Was Gandhi a racist?" Whether race is a social construct, whether it doesn't exist, whether there's some other spinoff I don't know about...... racism exists and is very real. Racism to me is the dislike and/or broad-brushing of a group of people... call them what you will.... based on appearance or origin. "I don't like black people"...... "Muslims are all bad"....... "Japanese are the most intelligent"...... all those phrases smack of racism. They generalize, based on limited experiences and sometimes just hearsay. Racism or prejudice, if you prefer, isn't the end of the world. It just needs to be acknowledged. As people become more educated, more mature in life, and more traveled.... they tend to lose some of their racist beliefs. With some people it's harder, because they come from very racist backgrounds. If your father, grandfather, great-grandfather etc. were all racist, it's a bit more difficult to shed those beliefs. The Jackie Robinson movie "42" had a pretty good scene in it with Jackie Robinson getting yelled at by racists at the ballpark, with a little boy unsure as to what to do, until he sees everyone including his father yelling at Jackie. At that point the kid starts yelling too, though probably not sure why.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito, I know this will sound racist, but the reason you know people who have struggled with tests is because they were not smart enough to do those tests. Puerto Rico has a relatively low IQ and some of that will be genetic and some of that will be cultural (50% single mother rate, less focus on education etc). You are obviously pretty smart and stand out from the average.

If we are going to blame culture for a lack of attainment, and we should in part, it does not mean everyone is thrown under a bus or anything like that. I was from a poor, broken family and had no problems passing tests. I certainly had zero academic encouragement. I am not saying I am great, but nothing is particularly flawed. My B in maths was because that was where I was at. Maybe with smart parents to help me more I could have got an A.I didn't have that, I don't blame the test. I got A's in other subjects instead. And when older and motivated worked hard for an MA distinction. I am likely above average despite poor origins. You can rise beyond your cultural limitations. If you are bad at tests it is because your intelligence is likely flawed.

Beanz the Bell curve is only feared because of what it says. Whence scientists terrified of going near IQ in 'multicultural' times in a PC world. You get no more research into it as Universities do not want to touch it. It is taboo.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wouldn't be racist if they were white people doing the test though. Racism does not exist for them. And there are plenty of stupid white people too. I know, I went to school with some of them. Still, I wouldn't blame the test.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My point being that we can help raise intelligence by choosing good partners, educating kids ourselves, getting tutors if we have money, and so forth. 70% single mother rates in the US is one reason why black IQ rates are in the mid 80's. You have to be raised to not have a Denilson sized chip on your shoulder, not hate men or follow the welfare example, listen to your teachers and try your best. That can no doubt be improved. At least in my opinion. Reject how your parents did it and do it your way. A better way. My youth was no different to a poor black person it was just that I found freedom in books and games.

If I can do reasonably well with no support and from a broken family, imagine what I could do with my own child and my reflective approach to home teaching and also an intelligent mother? Alas it will never happen, but I think that is how you raise intelligence. I would also be stealing the genes of my wife too. So kind of cheating.

I think in Beanz case it is partly genetic too. Unfortunately if your parents are dumb, separated, and you have a bad attitude then you will struggle and the cycle will continue. That's just reality. Teach your kids something! But many don't know or care about raising kids. Look at the West. We mostly leave it all to the schools. Noam Chomsky was not raised like that and it shows.

Thread Information