Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Beginner

Hi all, I started at my local boxing gym last week. I'm trying to train there at least 3 times every week but I'm not sure how to mix the training up and keep it fresh so I don't over work any of the muscle groups. What sort of routine do you guys follow?

Secondly, after a session on the bag all of my fingers and knuckles are really sore. Am I hitting the bag too hard / wrong or will my body adapt and get used to the pressure cause by hitting the bag?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Beginner

Welcome to the board djtonyn. Here's your first

Overtraining can be a big problem it's something that you gotta look out for when you're starting any physical activity. The problem is that a lot of gyms treat you not much different than the regulars that train there. It's important that you don't push yourself too hard, or you're going to feel sore, tired and stale afterwards.

Since you're just beginning work on geting the fundamentals down. Most important thing you can do is fight from a good posture, not leaning on your front leg, balanced and in an athletic position. Your hands shouldn't on your cheekbones unless you're actually blocking, or throwing a punch. Learn how to move, all the footwork moves properly. Once you're comforable moving around the ring start coordinating your punches with your footwork and movement.

In regards to your hands, is your gloves allowing you to make a good tight proper fist when you punch? I've had this problem myself because a lot of the Everlast gloves and other brands do don allow you to make a good proper fist which is the what they are supposed to protect in the first place. Unless on the other hand you might be keeping your fist clenched the whole time which would account for it being sore. Make sure you can make a proper fist and that your hands are properly wrapped and that your punching technique is sound. At first you may feel sore after hitting the heavy bag just because you still need to get in condition.

As routines are concerned you should do roadwork 4-5 times a week. Running in intervals is the way to go, at first it would just be alternating a run/walk/jog, but when you get better you can incorporate sprints. Make sure you're running technique is okay. Don't stick your butt out, don't lean forward, just lift your knees up let gravity do the rest.

In the gym don't exhaust yourself doing the ground work (exercises) It is important however that you properly warm up, and stretch to get your body primed for the work and to protect yourself. On te bags it's a good idea to work in intervals according to the rounds of a fight. In one round you can work on particular punches, etc. , you treat the bag like an opponent like you should do your shadow boxing. It's a good idea to practice moving away from his best punch and rear hand even while on the bags. If you keep some of these things in mind in all your training such as why, and what you should do, then you'll be more inclined to do it in the ring.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great post Chris, many thanks! Few things though...

When you say "not leaning on your front leg", is that to enable you to transfer your weight during a punch? shifting from back leg to front leg?

Also, the Longsdale gloves I use have a sort of padded bit that the tips of my fingers kinda rest on. It feels a bit uncomfortable but I thought that was just something I would have to get used to?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sorry. What I should've said is "Don't lean on your front leg when you're not punching." Only when you're throwing a right hand do you have to shift your weight onto your front leg. Otherwisewhen most of yor weight is on your front leg it's harder to move, and you're in a position to absorb most of your opponent's punching power and get hurt. Look at Mike Tyson he had a neck like a tree trunk, he had a$ good a chin but once he lost his good posture and started leaning forward any guy that could punch is able to knock him out.

Anyways on those gloves is that a padded bar that goes across? If that's the case it's intended so that you're able to make a more solid fist. It should be clenched in the middle part of your fingers.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Chris, I checked the gloves out with the trainer from the club. He reckons they're fine so I think it's just a case of getting used to them. I've been doing alot of abdominal work in the gym and I think it may be the cause of a really sore back, am I right in saying that there has to be a good balance in abdominal and back strength?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by djtonyn
    Hi Chris, I checked the gloves out with the trainer from the club. He reckons they're fine so I think it's just a case of getting used to them. I've been doing alot of abdominal work in the gym and I think it may be the cause of a really sore back, am I right in saying that there has to be a good balance in abdominal and back strength?
    Yep to a degree
    Hey at least you dont have to do 6 inches like I had to back in the day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh man!! I think all of this training is starting to catch up with me, literally everything aches, especially my wrists and smaller knuckles. I know I really need to work on my technique for hitting the bags but I feel as if there isn't enough power in my wrists and thats why theyre so sore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Usually in the first week or so you'll feel pretty sore. Even the average person starting a new exercise plan will go through a lot of soreness. Stretching before and after your workout will help some with your soreness as it will also protect you from injuries.

Just don't do too much. Pace yourself when you're hitting the bags, work on your posture and getting your technique right. If you have bad technique hitting the bags can cause you a lot of pain.

For your wrists make sure you're wrapping your hands properly. Make sure your wrists are solid and there isn't too much wrap going around your palms. It's important to protect your hands by being able to make a proper fist and the hand wraps should improve that. You can put some some extra bandage over your knuckles if it continues to give you trouble. I hear putting Arnica cream on any bruises helps to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These guys seem to be doin fine with the advice so I'm not goin to get into a long post. 2 questions though- 1) What size bag gloves are u using?
    2) Have u been taught the correct way to wrap your hands?

Some people like the small old school gloves. I have always prefered 16 oz. gloves (or bigger). The smallest that I routinely worked with was 14 oz.'s.

You can't neglect the wrap that u lay on your hands. Take it from a guy that broke one hand 7x's. The other one tallied in with 2 breaks & 3 surgeries (on 5 seperate ocassions). If u have not been shown the right way, find someone knowledgable to show u.

Good luck n I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its really not a bad idea to wear some 18 oz. sparring gloves hitting the heavy bag. outside of the fact that if you hit hard enough you are putting a tremendous beating on your hands, which the extra couple oz. of padding will help, it also doesnt hurt to get used to having so much excess weight on your hands.

as far as wrists go, start doing some wrist curls and reverse wrist curls to strengthen all the small muscles surrounding the wrist and leading up into the forearm and down into the knuckles...muscles that are VERY OFTEN neglected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys. Well I refer to a "hand wrap guide" on the wall at the club so I'm hoping that I'm doing it right. The pain in my hands is kinda starting to worry me now. On my left hand, looking down at the palm of my hand I can't put any pressure anywhere below my pinky finger. As for the right hand, I can't lean on my hand as theres a distinct pain in my wrist. I'm thinking it might be in my best interests to seek medical advice?

Thread Information