Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Most heartbreaking moment ever?

Muhammad Ali's retirement was a shock to me, his lasts two fights were hard to watch. A sad ending to a great career. Another instance has to be the death of Johnny Owen.

What is the most heartbreaking moment in your opinion?

Below is a video were I discuss the 10 most heartbreaking moments:

Last edited by BXNGCNTRL; 08-29-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Most heartbreaking moment ever?

Pintor-Owen was a complete travesty. Gatti for sure but could put whole month of July that year. Vernon Forrest murdered in cold blood, Alexis Arguello commits suicide and Gatti found dead. Sad thing is this list could be so fn long, heartbreak and boxing seem to share the same room far to often. From in and out of the ring tragedy, to the lives that fall apart and end tragically once the cameras go away and the years catch up.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Too many in boxing. Well, any hardcore sports fan has endured heartbreaking moments; it's inevitable.

Watching Ali get pummeled by Holmes.
    Ray Leonard get drubbed by Norris, then stopped by Camacho.
    The bite fight in reel time was totally heartbreaking & disgusting.
    Gatti losing his last fight in such fashion was pretty sad.
    Watching Cotto get busted up out of nowhere by Rito 1st fight.
    Reading that Paul Williams got paralyzed.
    Reading that Mayweather (briefly) retired when Paul Williams called him out, Mosley wanted him & that would've been ideal to fight Pac as well- it seemed like he planned that hiatus just to avoid what would have been the BEST TIME to prove his worth. -Maybe I am more angry than heartbroken.

Joe Montana getting traded from the 49ers.

Totally saddened when the Big 3 Glen Robinson, Sam Casell & Ray Allen were literally cheated out of their chance at the big dance. Coach Byrd acknowledged they got the victory, but didn't win the game. Seemed conspiracy like- The Milwaukee Bucks just weren't allowed to win.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed Leonard getting beaten up because I felt he was getting away with his celebrity status and acting like a diva from the Hagler comeback.

The welterweight Sugar Ray was a true ATG but I only found out about that version later.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I enjoyed Leonard getting beaten up because I felt he was getting away with his celebrity status and acting like a diva from the Hagler comeback.

The welterweight Sugar Ray was a true ATG but I only found out about that version later.
    LOL! I got a love/hate relationship with him as the boxer. I think I started to turn on him, when it took 8 years to rematch Hearns. & the fact it was a draw, was horrible. Then later found out that Aaron Pryor called him out.- watching Legendary Nights the Tale of Leonard-Hagler. The smaller guy willing to move up & Ray wouldn't even mention The Hawk's name.

In fact as I write this, it was that episode that pissed me off to hear Ray only wanted Marvin when he saw Marvelous didn't really want it anymore-took him to dinner and listened to Marvin tell him this- and now he wants to fight him?

I figured he thought that Norris chin would fail- to which is why he chose the fight him, but as the fight went on, memories of watching Leonard fight reel-time as an amateur on regular tv made me feel sad that this was the end of an era that I watched from the beginning.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To this day I always felt Ray was overate as a boxer.
    Under rated as a brawler.

He didn't out box Benitez, he had to bring the dog out.
    His rematch over Duran IMO was like Ali's Rumble in the Jungle vs Foreman- a one trick pony neither fighter could ever duplicate.
    He got out boxed by Hearns the Puncher- & had to bring the dog out. Or as Dundee told him: "Ya blowin it kid! This is where we separate the boys from the men, ya blowin it!"
    He was getting out boxed by Lalonde for Christ sake- & once again, brought the dog out and proved his punches weren't lightweight by any means. He beat that boy down.
    Rematch with Hearns- next to nobody got up from a Hearns punch if dropped, yet Rau got up and didnt out box, he brought that canine out. That 12th round Tommy almost gave in again, but not to a boxer, but a pretty boy who could punch as well.

Against Haglar- he boxed well. But also to the fault of Marvin who came out orthodox and waited till the mid rounds to turn things on- by that time Ray was ahead on my card.
    By Camacho fight- coke did him in more than it did Camacho- + Hector could throw while moving, whereas Ray used his legs to get out of the way and when he threw- he was almost always flatfooted- to which I think is why/how he generated power. So a slow-footed coked-up Ray just couldn't compare with a hyped-up coke head Hector!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

LOL! I got a love/hate relationship with him as the boxer. I think I started to turn on him, when it took 8 years to rematch Hearns. & the fact it was a draw, was horrible. Then later found out that Aaron Pryor called him out.- watching Legendary Nights the Tale of Leonard-Hagler. The smaller guy willing to move up & Ray wouldn't even mention The Hawk's name.

In fact as I write this, it was that episode that pissed me off to hear Ray only wanted Marvin when he saw Marvelous didn't really want it anymore-took him to dinner and listened to Marvin tell him this- and now he wants to fight him?

I figured he thought that Norris chin would fail- to which is why he chose the fight him, but as the fight went on, memories of watching Leonard fight reel-time as an amateur on regular tv made me feel sad that this was the end of an era that I watched from the beginning.
    End of an era of your favourite boxer is always sad to watch even if they go out on a win which is rare.

Watching Tyson lose to Lewis (only having a good first round), Williams (blowing his knee) and McBride was horrible to watch. A day part of boxing died with me.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn retiring on his stool against Collins and the crowd booing.

No way for a warrior like Nigel to go out.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

I felt the same way when Lloyd Honeyghan lost to Mark Breland.

The crowd booed him after he was beaten by the US fighter. True, Honeyghan did act like a warrior when he was starting the fight and ended up getting knocked down loads of times but fans forgot how many great nights he gave them in exciting fights. That was no way to treat a great British fighter.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. there was always something heartbreaking for me watching Joe Frazier get pounded around the ring in Jamaica. And he kept getting up, and Dundee in the audience yelling "STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!" ..... I just cant get past the heartbreakingness of that.

2. Billy Collins vs Luis Resto

3. Yes Duk Koo Kim, I saw it live on TV, .....

4. Watching Tony Ayala come out of prison as an old man and fight valiantly in his comeback but end up getting beaten down by the younger man and sobbing in his corner, because he had lost his best years in prison , and had never tasted defeat before.

5. Watching Archie Moore try to rise for the 5th time and getting halfway up but his legs collapsed and the fight was stopped against Marciano.

6. Yes watching Holmes pound Ali --- half-heartedly even --- and seeing the look in Ali's eyes that he knew this time, this time, he would not pull it off.

7. Always felt heartbroken to see Tyson KO Holmes.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I felt the same way when Lloyd Honeyghan lost to Mark Breland.

The crowd booed him after he was beaten by the US fighter. True, Honeyghan did act like a warrior when he was starting the fight and ended up getting knocked down loads of times but fans forgot how many great nights he gave them in exciting fights. That was no way to treat a great British fighter.
    Honeyghan got utterly and abysmally beaten.

His overconfidence and glaring/fist pointing a la Hawk Time style, just made that beatdown even more humiliating for him.

Booing is hurtful however.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Herol Graham snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against Charles Brewer.

He finally looked like he was on his way to getting a world trinket at 38, when he once again lost a fight he looked like he was going to win.

Really felt for him that night, because he was a decent guy & in the age of multiple trinkets, his talent at least deserved to pick up a world belt somewhere along the line.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
    Herol Graham snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against Charles Brewer.

He finally looked like he was on his way to getting a world trinket at 38, when he once again lost a fight he looked like he was going to win.

Really felt for him that night, because he was a decent guy & in the age of multiple trinkets, his talent at least deserved to pick up a world belt somewhere along the line.
    Losing to Frank Grant hurt me the worst. I could not talk to anyone after that. First and only time he lost to a British fighter.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched Herol v Grant. I do not remember this fight at all....

Had never heard of Grant till now. Looking at his record he seemed to be doing ok then just disappeared from the game.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched Herol v Grant. I do not remember this fight at all....

Had never heard of Grant till now. Looking at his record he seemed to be doing ok then just disappeared from the game.
    That fight was on TV live from what I can remember and he retired after that fight o ly to make a come back years later. Could have been on as an undercard fight for Wharton v Fidel Castro Smith in Leeds.

Thread Information