Thread: Was Mahatma Gandhi a racist?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was Mahatma Gandhi a racist?

Can anyone give a serious answer though? Just spell it out. If somebody like Mahatma Gandhi did indeed have some kind of racism as described in this threat against blacks tell me exactly what would be the Damage Done To The World if Mahatma Gandhi was indeed a racist?

it's time that this stuff gets questioned and we don't just swallow the Kool-Aid for fear of looking like Hitler or Stalin or something

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me in this thread let the post right after this one give the answer I'm waiting for somebody to tell me right now in this thread what would be the Damage Done To The World if Mahatma Gandhi had harbored racist feelings against the blacks in South Africa as has been implied here

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fact that he wants freedom, self rule and against British colonialism in India but not in South Africa would be hypocritical for one.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The fact that he wants freedom, self rule and against British colonialism in India but not in South Africa would be hypocritical for one.
    I 100% agree that that is a hypocritical stance to take. I just don't see the damage that is being done to the world with that

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    I 100% agree that that is a hypocritical stance to take. I just don't see the damage that is being done to the world with that
    Leading millions whilst potentially being a hypocrite would be damaging if true.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, it would be quite normal actually.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    For him it would not be.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can anyone give a serious answer though? Just spell it out. If somebody like Mahatma Gandhi did indeed have some kind of racism as described in this threat against blacks tell me exactly what would be the Damage Done To The World if Mahatma Gandhi was indeed a racist?

it's time that this stuff gets questioned and we don't just swallow the Kool-Aid for fear of looking like Hitler or Stalin or something

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me in this thread let the post right after this one give the answer I'm waiting for somebody to tell me right now in this thread what would be the Damage Done To The World if Mahatma Gandhi had harbored racist feelings against the blacks in South Africa as has been implied here

Damage Done To The World?

None. If he said the things he said about blacks as described earlier, he was racist. Nothing more... nothing less.

He was still a great man who did great things.

Why does everything around here have to be twisted beyond the original argument?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito the way people talk about racism now they talk about it like it's something that will destroy the planet in one day if it gets out of control it's such hyperbolic nonsense get out the violins kind of stuff so when I see these kinds of headlines about Mahatma Gandhi being a racist I think to myself who cares if he harbored feelings inside towards certain people from certain countries? I am very glad that you have admitted that no damage was done to the world but you know darn well that a lot of these social justice Warriors these days are treating the label of racism and xenophobia and sexism as a kind of absolute Universal evil that we should all be terrified of and that we should censor people because of and so in that context I addressed this topic. @TitoFan

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    For him it would not be.
    Seemingly not though. However, like others have said, racism has always been a very common facet of human nature. You see it in a lot of literature in times past and from the utterances of politicians. Lincoln too was a complete racist, somewhat akin to Denilson in some ways too. It was quite common.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tito the way people talk about racism now they talk about it like it's something that will destroy the planet in one day if it gets out of control it's such hyperbolic nonsense get out the violins kind of stuff so when I see these kinds of headlines about Mahatma Gandhi being a racist I think to myself who cares if he harbored feelings inside towards certain people from certain countries? I am very glad that you have admitted that no damage was done to the world but you know darn well that a lot of these social justice Warriors these days are treating the label of racism and xenophobia and sexism as a kind of absolute Universal evil that we should all be terrified of and that we should censor people because of and so in that context I addressed this topic. @TitoFan

I tend not to jump off the deep end on these issues, so I can say someone's a racist without carrying it over to somehow it being the end of the world. I already mentioned that in the past, many people had racist beliefs because that's just the way it was. As someone said earlier..... the prevailing way of thinking. But if a person's racist I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, deny it, cover it up. I'm gonna call it like I see it. If anyone thinks they're superior to others simply because of their race of ethnicity.... that make them racist. They could be the most productive, nicest people in the world.... but they're still racist. Nothing more... nothing less.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't have any problem with the definition of racism. If that is all you are saying then I am all for it, yes indeed the definition of racism is if you don't like an entire ethnicity of people simply because of their ethnicity and nothing else.

@Gandalf is correct that racism by this definition is a very natural and I think genetically built in quality for all human beings and try as hard as they want to be an idealogue they will not be able to shake it. It is quite normal and natural and all the social justice nonsense can work on this for a million years and not make any Headway at all. It's amazing how people think racism is so bad when in fact it is quite normal and natural and there's nothing that anyone can do about it

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't have any problem with the definition of racism. If that is all you are saying then I am all for it, yes indeed the definition of racism is if you don't like an entire ethnicity of people simply because of their ethnicity and nothing else.

@Gandalf is correct that racism by this definition is a very natural and I think genetically built in quality for all human beings and try as hard as they want to be an idealogue they will not be able to shake it. It is quite normal and natural and all the social justice nonsense can work on this for a million years and not make any Headway at all. It's amazing how people think racism is so bad when in fact it is quite normal and natural and there's nothing that anyone can do about it

Well that's where we'll disagree. Just because I'm not condemning Gandhi for being racist, doesn't mean I think it is a good trait. All I said is people in those days tended toward being racist a bit more than now, when supposedly we're "wiser" about other cultures and races around the world. I may be common... but I don't consider it normal nor positive. But you're right. Racists will always be racists and there's little anyone can do about it. Hopefully though, as people become more educated in general.... and people travel more and see more of different races and cultures..... some of this ignorance will subside. Yes, because IMO racism denotes ignorance, as I said before.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

]yes I would say that racism also Denotes ignorance because it is just simply numerically impossible for every single member of a certain ethnicity to not be liked by somebody for another reason apart from their ethnicity. Even if 65% of every Hunan Chinese villager was an obnoxious nose-picking spitting and blowing snot in public near you that would still not be enough of a percentage for you to say that you detest and despise Hunan Chinese villagers. Because what about the other 35%? You can't just write them off because of the 65% that you experienced firsthand. So I agree that to write off that 35% would be ignorant and by the definition of the word ignorant it means precisely that you are not knowing about something or that knowledge is not possessed about something. So yes that would be ignorant to write off 100% of every Hunan Chinese villager and that would be racist.

On the other hand I don't mind a bit of fudging the figures because if 65% of a population of people were really despicable and vile to you I think you would have every right to say that you hate all of them. And I would not necessarily find that to be racist because 65% of a certain population is a gigantic proportion and I personally believe quite well enough of a sample to be able to deduce that the majority of these people are obnoxious and vile and unhygienic cretins.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or bad thing

@TitoFan

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Freedom is an SJW now then? His thread.

And no ..Racism is not only banned for good reason on the forum, it's not normal or natural, it is learned behaviour. Passed down prejudice from ignorant parents or peers. Basic stuff. Kids don't give a shit what race other kids are until they are brainwashed by old people with a chip on their shoulder or genuine grudge.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree I think it is quite normal and natural although it is also true it can be learned. But take a look at all those double-blind experiments they did with the Aborigines kids that they took and brought over to Belgium and then took the Belgian kids and brought them over there to Papua New Guinea and that double blind experiment from 1967. that wasn't learned that was straight out first time ever experiencing it and the results were not surprising at all really. the kids had a strong aversion to the kids who did not look anything like them at all. It is quite natural indeed

Thread Information