Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Marquez has sights set on Pacquiao in a rematch

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquez has sights set on Pacquiao rematch

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Marquez has sights set on Pacquiao rematch

Marquez has sights set on Pacquiao rematch

http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=20509

By Paul Upham: After sustaining an upset defeat to Chris John in Indonesia, Juan Manuel Marquez's reputation as one of the best featherweights in the world took a serious hit. The 33 year-old Mexican takes another step towards restoring his credibility and hopefully inching closer to a rematch with Manny Pacquiao, when he faces Jimrex Jaca next weekend at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas, headlining a Mexican triple-header with Daniel Ponce De Leon and Juan Lazcano on HBO Pay-Per-View.

A hot commodity after his thrilling draw with Pacquiao in May 2004, Marquez travelled to Indonesia to battle the WBA champion on March 4 this year, only to lose a controversial points decision.

"Honestly, I had a lot of anger," Marquez said of the loss. "I felt I won the fight. I felt that I won at least ten rounds out of the twelve. But that's fine. I know sometime in the near future, there can always be a rematch."

The Judges scored the fight for John 116-110, 117-111 and 116-112. Referee Guillermo PĂ©rez Pineda deducting two points from Marquez 45-3-1 (34) for lows blows in rounds 10 and 11.

"I felt very good before the fight," said Marquez. "The travelling had nothing to do with it. I felt very, very good. For some reason, the judges and the referee saw the fight differently."

After being promoted by Bob Arum's Top Rank for most of his career, Marquez has now signed with Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.

"One of the main reasons is because of the company's President," said Marquez. "Oscar is a fighter himself. He knows what the fighter feels like. He knows what it is like to be a fighter and to get up and having to work out. I feel very strongly that Oscar will side with the fighters always, because he is a fighter himself. Golden Boy has all the dates and Golden Boy has all the fighters in my weight class, so that is what convinced me."

Marquez' draw with Pacquiao was one of the fights of the year in 2004 and came after he was knocked down to the canvas three times in the opening round at the MGM Grand Garden Arena by 'Pacman'. If they both keep winning, De La Hoya who now promotes both boxers has promised Marquez a rematch.

"Yes, and I am very excited about it," said Marquez. "Maybe sometime next year, I am hoping the fight can happen. I want to convince the boxing public that I was really victorious the time when we fought back in May 2004. I would love to have a rematch with him and I think the boxing public would love it as well."

Both men have obstacles to clear before the rematch can be made. WBO Interim featherweight title holder Marquez, if he is able to defeat Jaca on Saturday night, will then have to face WBO world champion Scott Harrison, while Pacquiao has his third fight with Erik Morales on November 18.

"I feel that Manny Pacquiao will be victorious over Morales," said Marquez. "It is Manny's time now. It is his time. He is in his prime. He is very strong and very fast. I feel that it his night and he will be the victor."

Marquez says that in picking Pacquiao to win, it has nothing to do with any animosity towards former promoter Top Rank, who promotes Morales.

"Not at all," he said. "I am talking boxing wise. I just feel that Manny Pacquiao is in his prime right now and he is a better fighter at this time."

If Morales were able to win, Marquez says he would be happy to adjust his sights to his fellow Mexican.

"I would love to fight Erik Morales. I am here to fight anybody," he said.

Similarly, if Pacquiao were to win and then rematch Marco Antonio Barrera before Marquez could get to the 'Pacman', he would be willing to fight the winner.

"If they fight each other first," he explained, "I will be ready, willing and able to fight the winner. If ends up being Barrera, then I will fight Barrera."

But before hard man Marquez can think of Harrison or fights with any of the big three in Pacquiao, Barrera and Morales, he has to prove that the loss to John was just an aberration on his career resume, by beating Jaca 26-2-1 (11) impressively.

"I feel very confident for the fight," he said. "Obviously it is a tough fight. Jimrex Jaca is a very strong fighter. He is fast and just like all the Filipinos, he has got a lot of heart. But I feel very confident and I will be the victor that night."

The 23 year-old southpaw from Cebu City in the Philippines will be a couple of inches taller than Marquez and will be looking to create another upset.

"I don't know how I will win, but I will win," promised Marquez. "I am prepared for anything and everything. It is a very important fight, my first fight with Golden Boy Promotions and Romanza Productions. I know I am going to win."

Paul Upham
    Contributing Editor
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Marquez has sights set on Pacquiao rematch

I voted that Marquez withstands the force of Pac & wins by decision.

...and as of 6:55 a.m. in the morning...my ass is right!!!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i voted pac decsion because i feel that he has gained more experince at superfeather.............marquez hasnt! i just feel that now manny is using both hands when he fights he could really gun down marquez.....would be a good one to see. marquez sure aint no pushover so manny would have to be fully prepared for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pac has gained a whole lot of experience and confidence
    since they fought...
    he was so one sided against jmm
    and i also heard he broke his hand
    next time they fight
    he'll KO him in 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JMM by UD

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted JMM via decision, if he was able to flip the script on PAC the first time around after that crazy ass 1st rd. I'm 100% sure if the fight happens the 1st rd. wont be the same soooooo that would mean IMO JMM wind via decision. Not a close one either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    I voted JMM via decision, if he was able to flip the script on PAC the first time around after that crazy a** 1st rd. I'm 100% sure if the fight happens the 1st rd. wont be the same soooooo that would mean IMO JMM wind via decision. Not a close one either.
    yeh I have to agree.. to turn it around after such a terrible start against a puncher of Pac's calibar was an amazing feat. JMM wins a clear decision in the rematch.

after thought... we will get reasonable odds on JJM if Pac stops Eric again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac wont go for this fight again cuz he can maintain his p4p rep fighting guys like Morales on the way down . Marquez also may not be the force he was be he has the Flips number .

Jmm would be weary on the counter early on looking not to get caught cold early on again . As the fight progresses he gets into rythm and displays cool boxing on the outside . His balance would be better and this would negate the Flip who bangs his fists together and waves his arms in the air through frustration . Manny wouldnt be able to establish momentum and position himself into range making Marquez look better the longer the fight goes on .

JMM UD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi!!! Just try to see JMM kiss the floor when Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao wave his left hand, for the final touch!!! This is the time for the Filipino boxer, to show who is the Filipino is!!!! This is not about anything but this is the time for victorious!!!!!

[Darwin][We love Pacman!!!]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tough Call again! I love both guys, but consider the growth Pac has made since his match with JMM I'd give him a KO win. I just think that he has many ways right now to land punches coming from different angles. As much as a master boxer JMM is, if Pac knocked him down thrice in the first round I bet he could do it again.

JMM has perfected his art and Pac is just beginning to really apply the sweet science of boxing, combine with his power(which cannot be taught or learned). He has more room for improvement and that would be the deciding factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I voted that Marquez withstands the force of Pac & wins by decision.

...and as of 6:55 a.m. in the morning...my a** is right!!!
    you're wrong you drunk son of a !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mintymen
    Tough Call again! I love both guys, but consider the growth Pac has made since his match with JMM I'd give him a KO win. I just think that he has many ways right now to land punches coming from different angles. As much as a master boxer JMM is, if Pac knocked him down thrice in the first round I bet he could do it again.

JMM has perfected his art and Pac is just beginning to really apply the sweet science of boxing, combine with his power(which cannot be taught or learned). He has more room for improvement and that would be the deciding factor.
    It was only 2 years ago that he met JMM and he has been a pro for 11years, so I think its a bit late in the game for Pac to learn the art. admittedly he is only 27 I give u that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually Hairdoo, with someone like Freddie Roach and Pac's stubborn attitude (that of a brawler) yes it's asbolutely possible

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's been fighting differently, I almost think the first round was bad for his tactics the rest of the fight, he just fell in love with the left hand, didn't go to the body, didn't throw right hooks, just the left. I'd probably favor him in a rematch, say what you want about Erik getting older, and he is, but the Pac in that second fight was more well rounded than he'd been probably since the Barrera fight, he's a much better fighter when he's consistently going to the body and he actually used his right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Freddie Roach - valid point

Thread Information