Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default floyds weight limitations

Hi,

I have read the threads on this forum for long time and I find it very entertaining and interesting.

I was just wondering with the recent upset of cotto and the vast rumors about floyd being afraid of cotto/margarito, do you think that floyd has reached his limit in fighting at welterweight?

Ok, I know he is retired but I am sure he will return. I am sure Cotto and margarito can go up in weight to light middle or middleweight, but I dont think floyd can.

Would the fact that these guys are naturally bigger than floyd be a big advantage? or do you think that when Oscar fought floyd he had the same advantage?

Thanks for your time and your great threads over the past months..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: floyds weight limitations

Welcome to the forum Imp.

Mayweather naturally is probably hovering around 147.
    When he fought De la Hoya, his work ethic and style prevented him from bulking any farther than 150. So in essence, many of the fighters in the Welterweight division are actually bigger than him, as Miguel, Tony etc. all usually enter on fight night at 155+ despite having made the 147 limit the day before.

However, in opposition to this physical advantage is Floyd's stayle. Mayweather is designed to exploit the physicality of the opposing fighter, Floyd can not only make the opponent miss he can also takje punches on the shoulders and arms and tire opponents, or at least take the sting from their punches.

I truely believe Mayweather to be the best of our era, despite having held a grudge against him for much of his career. I feel he has exactly the style to exploit bigger guys like Antonio and as we saw at Light weight with Corrlaes or at Welter with Baldomir, he has no fear of the bigger man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Tony Margarito is great at what he does he beat Cotto and i knew he would i do think Floyd's limit is Welterweight really.But i also think Floyd would beat Tony with movement Cotto best times in the fight were with movement and Floyd moves brilliant around the ring i would pick Floyd by UD12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tysonbruno View Post
    I think Tony Margarito is great at what he does he beat Cotto and i knew he would i do think Floyd's limit is Welterweight really.But i also think Floyd would beat Tony with movement Cotto best times in the fight were with movement and Floyd moves brilliant around the ring i would pick Floyd by UD12.
    Floyd is just full. He needs to push away from the table, get hungry again and then he will return. Now is the time to make a fight with Margarito, or maybe Cotto then Margarito. But I see these guys being tied up with each other for the next 6 months to a year. If Cotto can take the rematch then that sets up the rubber match. Maybe after Clottey whoops up Judah Mayweather can fight him, take his belt then wait for the winner of this trilogy. Margarito's style of fighting is made for a fighter like Mayweather to showcase all his skills. Even if Margarito is the better fighter between him and Cotto, Mayweather would have more problems with Cotto.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

When he fought De la Hoya, his work ethic and style prevented him from bulking any farther than 150. So in essence, many of the fighters in the Welterweight division are actually bigger than him, as Miguel, Tony etc. all usually enter on fight night at 155+ despite having made the 147 limit the day before.

However, in opposition to this physical advantage is Floyd's stayle. Mayweather is designed to exploit the physicality of the opposing fighter, Floyd can not only make the opponent miss he can also takje punches on the shoulders and arms and tire opponents, or at least take the sting from their punches.

I truely believe Mayweather to be the best of our era, despite having held a grudge against him for much of his career. I feel he has exactly the style to exploit bigger guys like Antonio and as we saw at Light weight with Corrlaes or at Welter with Baldomir, he has no fear of the bigger man.
    floyd only weighed 145 against oscar...floyd is small for a WW...he should be fighting right now no higher than 140
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its funny, I don't think Spinks hits any harder than Mayweather, but he was able to face Taylor at middleweight, its really hard to say how far Mayweather can go because we don't know what his chin can handle. I think he will never weigh more than 150ish in a fight, but Robinson was fighting middleweight when he was weighing 146 on fight night. I'm not trying to compare the two, but Mayweather I think for the next few years could fight up to 160, I definitely see him beating any 154 poudner out there, I mean he beat OScar at 154, and I see Oscar as one of the best 154 pounders in the world if not the best. Its a weak division, and Mayweather is too good for guys like Alcine... I think the WW has stronger opponents for him to face. IN the middleweight division, I would have to see Mayweather fight someone at the weight, but he might be able to fight Pavlik, I mean he would be so quick, and thats such a hard thing to discount. People thought Corrales was too big, then Castillo, then Gatti, then Baldomir, then Oscar. Baldomir weighed 162 for his fight with Mayweather, and Floyd showed no problems dealing with his strength or the fact that he couldn't hurt Carlos. I am sure Oscar was around 160 if not higher when he faced Mayweather.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

floyd only weighed 145 against oscar...floyd is small for a WW...he should be fighting right now no higher than 140
    Mayweather weighed in for Oscar at 150.
    On fight night he then weighed 148.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Killface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonbruno View Post
    Floyd is just full. He needs to push away from the table, get hungry again and then he will return. Now is the time to make a fight with Margarito, or maybe Cotto then Margarito. But I see these guys being tied up with each other for the next 6 months to a year. If Cotto can take the rematch then that sets up the rubber match. Maybe after Clottey whoops up Judah Mayweather can fight him, take his belt then wait for the winner of this trilogy. Margarito's style of fighting is made for a fighter like Mayweather to showcase all his skills. Even if Margarito is the better fighter between him and Cotto, Mayweather would have more problems with Cotto.

i agree with you bro cotto does stand a better chance then margo does against mayweather i know exactly what you mean margo does have a punchers chance but i doubt it against mayweather imo
    peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So this is my opinion..

Frankly.. If Floyd had the patience and the motivation to do it now.. this is what he should do.. Because it would almost undoubtedly make him an utter legend and the greatest of all time maybe..

Following antonio margarito and paul williams rematch never mind the winner.. that fight determines the welterweight king.. Floyd CAN beat both guys in my opinion..

Not especially important as the division is weak at present but if floyd were to take a title at 154 then thats yet another division

Now.. this i believe is what solidifies him as the best..

A move to middleweight and a title there..

Oscar did it.. But oscar failed to impress against sturm and lost to Bernard.
    So in effect just picked up the gold.
    Whereas floyd has all the capabilities to beat the divisions best..

It might take one fight it might be two.. and of course there is sturm there but as for the rest middleweight is the wieght where these arent the medium sized guys boiled down no more.. these guys really pack a punch and these guys have some serious muscle.. these guys are the mcllellans and the jacksons. Abraham, pavlik all big guys and dangerous fights..

Nobody cares how floyd wins them.. he can box theyr socks off because what matters is the win!..

Now.. i think he has justtt enough heigh for it.. he looks in exellent shape at the size he fights.. nothing too bold or muscular just make the weight and i bet he could do the business there.
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information