Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, as I stated earlier, Toney beat Ruiz for a title also. Not really that unheard of...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angry Re: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Tony did well at hw and was a contender there during that time. I am saying the fact that he started his career at 154 and moved up and won a trinket at hw is pretty insane the guy holding 25 pounds over him to. That would be the equivalent of Manny going up to fight weak contender at 168 or 175. Smaller weights division change a lot when you get past lmw there aren't so many of them. Also Jones did beat Taver and lost to him at 36 which was his first devastating lose. Pac already has been koed and out boxed way before his late 30's Jones was pretty untouched and lhw fought everyone but DM. I mean no matter what you say Pac and Mayweather have not faced one another which is both their faults and that worse then anyone Jones didn't fight. If put there top 10 opponents together i think its pretty close together. Also got to look at what they went on to do and if they were on the slide when they were beaten by them which i guess i could go do i rank Jones just as high if not higher then Pac and Hopkins. The only guy i rate over Jones is Mayweather and that is about it from this era maybe Lewis for being the best heavyweight in 90s's one of if not the strongest eras.
    Last edited by Mr140; 05-16-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

I think its one of the most fun part in boxing, when we all gather around and talk about our top boxers. Same with our taste in the ladies, everyone's will be different but hey variety is the spice of life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Also, as I stated earlier, Toney beat Ruiz for a title also. Not really that unheard of...
    He didn't get the title the fight was declared a no decision. Toney tested positive for steroids after that fight...and tested positive once more a few years later.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

like i always say, i dont like to pick apart fighters resume too much because most of these great fighters fought and beat other great fighters. i agree that pac did fight and beat some good competition but he also lost to much of that good competition. he is in the same boat as mayweather. once he became a superstar, he hand picked his opponents, but the difference was that pac was the baby face that could do no wrong while mayweather was the thug who only did wrong. so when pac hand picked opponents, they were called great fighters. when mayweather hand picked opponents, they were called chumps.

jones was in the same position as mayweather. no matter who he beat, they were considered bums because he destroyed them all. then he gets old over night and people start saying that his chin has always been weak and that he wouldnt have been able to last against anybody good in his prime, yadada. maybe if jones fought the same level of opposition as pac, he would have some more losses, but i also think that he would have destroyed many of those types of fighters.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jahmez View Post
    Beanflicker this whole pro Mayweather thing is admirable but it's getting quite boring. I've seen you on here for years and it seems something is up. I don't know if you're being encouraged by the new dickheads Cyclone and Ron or if the Maidana fight somehow unnerved you, but it's as if you have suddenly embarked on a rage induced crusade to defend Floyd at all costs, and to be honest you're starting to come across as a megalomaniac who just wants to crush anyone who disagrees with your theories. What's up mate?
    Suddenly? I've been defending Floyd against unfounded hating for years.

If people can't back up their opinions or respond to criticism, stay off the forums.

If you talk bullshit, I'm going to call you out on it.
    When you see someone who claims that Mayweather is not an ATG, or that he's not in the top 20 p4p of all time, you can remember their names and then when you see them posting in a thread you can save your time and skip over it, because they'll have nothing insightful to say about anything boxing related.
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    If he beats the Thurman-Porter winner, Lara if he beats Canelo, and the winner of Cotto-Martinez, he'll be a top 20 ATG.
    LOL, only then eh? Care to name 20 guys who deserved to be ranked above Mayweather p4p of all time?
    Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    The boxing sprirt of old is long gone. Robinson fought 34 times in his last 3 years and Armstong 49 times. Floyd has fought what, 5 fights? We would need a matrix of criteria to come close to making a realistic comparison rather than here is my opinion.
    Yeah but Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong weren't making no 60 million dollars a fight, either. If they could get paid that much per fight, do you think they'd still be fighting that much? Hell nah.
    Point being, put mayeather in that erra and he would get busted up. Put Armstrong in todays erra and still clean out the divisions with endorcement too.
    Who's going to bust Mayweather up? One of the many club fighters that these guys padded their records with?

Go look at the records of any of these guys: you'll see them fight guys with losing records, less than 10 fights, ect.

Floyd wouldn't be allowed to fight that kind of competition today because the Athletic Commissions wouldn't allow it because it wouldn't be a fair fight

Do you really still think that Mick and a whole host of other posters really have nothing insightful to say about anything boxing related ? After all it was you who said "If people can't back up their opinions or respond to criticism, stay off the forums".

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have mayweather in my top 15 and Pac in the top 25 but that changes depemding on how i feel. The only fighters i have in the top 10 consistently are SRR and Leonard. Now that i know there is footage of Robinson at ww that i can see some how i will have fucking find it don't know how but i will.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Mayweather is definitely among the 10 best boxers I've ever seen and that's probably an insult to Mayweather.

Mick, I love you man. No fucking way you have seen more than the one fight of SRR. Which that's probably what you saw when you referred to seeing a prime SRR, but that's IT of a prime SRR. every contemporary writer says he wasn't the same at middleweight but we have one (I believe) to go on.

There are no full fights of Robinson at welterweight and in his prime and there are barely any clips. If anyone has those fights, it's Jimmy Jacobs. And he doesn't. He would get Solange-Jay Z money for even one fight. They're not around. We don't know a prime SRR.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really, nobody in the current era has a legitimate claim to be #1 P4P but Floyd. A few years ago, you could have said Pacquiao, but he got knocked out by Marquez.

Yes, Floyd struggled against Maidana, but I think that was more because of age than anything else. I think we all know that the Floyd of the Guerrero fight dominates Maidana.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Really, nobody in the current era has a legitimate claim to be #1 P4P but Floyd. A few years ago, you could have said Pacquiao, but he got knocked out by Marquez.

Yes, Floyd struggled against Maidana, but I think that was more because of age than anything else. I think we all know that the Floyd of the Guerrero fight dominates Maidana.
    That is not saying a lot about Floyd, Guerrero is rubbish and done nothing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRR beat way too many HOF fighters in their prime to lose that top spot. Floyd is great, no doubt, but he just hasn't beaten the guys necessary for that spot or even the top ten to fifteen. Honestly. Look who SRR, Armstrong, Ali, Leonard, Duran...etc. fought and beat. This is not to say that Floyd isn't an ATG, I just can't see ranking him over guys who fought and beat ridiculous competition. I can see Floyd being top 25 or even top 20, but guys in the top 15 have some amazing resumes. U have to have some weigh to measure a fighters greatness b reduce the subjectiveness. Floyd is great n I don't think he ducked anyone, n this is a different era. That being said, SRR still fought ridiculous competition n beat then in their primes. I can't even see a case for Floyd being #1.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see a problem rating Floyd that high. I think his unique, effective defense and offense that has given all his opponents an issue relegated him quite high. I know his opposition hasn't been top teir as it could have been, or should be but his years of dominance deserves him a Solid rating. I am not a Floyd fan but I try not to let my bias to his dare I say greatness.

I am a Pactard but I rate Manny even higher. People have made solid statements explaining why they feel this is not accurate and I try to be open minded but I would put Manny in the top twenty and Floyd perhaps in the top twenty five.

Both of these gentlemen are amazing to watch during their craft and their dedication oozes through the TV. I thought Floyd would have a tough fight with Maidana but I honestly thought thought Maidana won. He had a brilliant plan and I think he did enough to win or at worst a draw. Perhaps a draw would have been more fitting which would have brought us a definite rematch which I would love to see. I think someone here made a good point that the ppv numbers may be enough to avoid a rematch on Floyd's side.

Well, I'm sure I may get attacked for this post but I already called myself a Pactard so I took away your ammunition, so ha ha on you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Pac has good resume and it is a bit better then Mayweather but he was koed when he was a Flyweight champ then had draw with ok fighter lost to a Morales on the slide which i think is fair to say because he lost before he beat him and after he beat him. Barrera was his best win but had been tooled by Jones who was a good fighter not great before hand. Also big thing i have against Pac is he never really beat Jmm in eyes of anyone most people have Jmm winning all the fights the third one was called the Robbery of year by ring magazine and the Jmm at 40 knocked him the fuck out few i think that goes against him a tad. I mean Mayweather literal tooled Jmm say what you want about Pac beating the guys Mayweather did better but most were after they lost to him and unlike Pac Mayweather never lost to Jmm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is a great boxer and great at selling his persona which is more beleivable than his father's brand of BS but it is still BS. What makes him beleivable aside frim his demeanor, is he seems to back his story in the ring. His rap is designed to suck you in, modeled after Ali, which he explains makes you hate him and want to watch his fights. I got a kick out if my dad who got so mad watching Ali's fights when his opponents . Couldnt hit him and probably why Duran is my personal favorite. I havent put a ccomprehensive list together because it wuld take way too much time but im pretty sure Floyd wouldnt make it to my top 10-20.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly don't see anyone from 130 to 147 beating Floyd.

And it's not like you can say this is a weak era, like you could with the Klits and the HW division. 140-147 are both VERY strong divisions right now, and have been for quite a while.

Thread Information