Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default After dinner drinks

Wondering what people around the world prefer after a good hearty meal. Personally it depends on the mood or the setting, but once in awhile I like a good after dinner drink. Not a brandy or a cognac. I prefer those at other times. But something with some sweet to it and a good kick as well. People tend to lump all cordials (or liqueurs) together, such as: Cointreau, Amaretto, Frangelico, Sambuca, Kahlua, Grand Marnier and others. But I find there are some that are a bit light (Frangelico, Midori), while others are stronger and tend to help my digestive process a little better.

If not in the mood for something alcoholic, a small, strong cup of expresso will do. But it's gotta be the way it's done here in the Caribbean, with strong coffee and a bit foamy, with just enough sugar to kill the bitterness. It's locally called "cortadito", and supposedly has its origins in Cuba.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: After dinner drinks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Wondering what people around the world prefer after a good hearty meal. Personally it depends on the mood or the setting, but once in awhile I like a good after dinner drink. Not a brandy or a cognac. I prefer those at other times. But something with some sweet to it and a good kick as well. People tend to lump all cordials (or liqueurs) together, such as: Cointreau, Amaretto, Frangelico, Sambuca, Kahlua, Grand Marnier and others. But I find there are some that are a bit light (Frangelico, Midori), while others are stronger and tend to help my digestive process a little better.

If not in the mood for something alcoholic, a small, strong cup of expresso will do. But it's gotta be the way it's done here in the Caribbean, with strong coffee and a bit foamy, with just enough sugar to kill the bitterness. It's locally called "cortadito", and supposedly has its origins in Cuba.
    What is a good hearty meal there?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

Ahh... a question near and dear to my heart (and stomach).

Well, we've got the typical Puerto Rican cuisine, which would consist of any number of meats (such as roast pork, a local favorite.... or a good steak) with a side of rice and beans or mofongo (a concoction made of mashed plantains with garlic and other selected seasonings). Seafood is also big here, such as our local spiny lobster, a wide variety of fish, conch, octopus, or calamari (squid).

Not much of an expert on food, but I've attached the following link which describes it quite well. The main thing is the seasoning, which at least to my taste is among the best in the world. I'm not much on bland food, so typical dishes here are right down my alley.

Puerto Rican cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Green goes crazy for the white slurpeee...

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, we've got the typical Puerto Rican cuisine, which would consist of any number of meats (such as roast pork, a local favorite.... or a good steak) with a side of rice and beans or mofongo (a concoction made of mashed plantains with garlic and other selected seasonings). Seafood is also big here, such as our local spiny lobster, a wide variety of fish, conch, octopus, or calamari (squid).

Not much of an expert on food, but I've attached the following link which describes it quite well. The main thing is the seasoning, which at least to my taste is among the best in the world. I'm not much on bland food, so typical dishes here are right down my alley.

Brocks coming round he's going to eat all your food, and drink all your beer.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post

Brocks coming round he's going to eat all your food, and drink all your beer.

The more the merrier.
    What good is good food and liquor if you can't share it with your friends.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

usually it is bourbon but sometimes a glass of Port is in order
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well fuck me @TitoFan, I never realized how sophisticated you were.
    When I drink alcohol, I generally just snack, cheese and crackers, a few bites of steak, BBQ brisket, chicken wings and such.
    With regular meals I usually just drink iced tea.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
    Port my word

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9zJiGhc3yU
    Last edited by brocktonblockbust; 02-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Well fuck me @TitoFan , I never realized how sophisticated you were.
    When I drink alcohol, I generally just snack, cheese and crackers, a few bites of steak, BBQ brisket, chicken wings and such.
    With regular meals I usually just drink iced tea.

LOL... @Mars_ax

I wasn't very sophisticated last night, while attending a relative's baby shower with the wife. I had smoked veal with white rice and salt port and potato salad. Ate till I was about to burst (it was damn good). Washed it all down with plenty of Medalla (our local light beer) and Corona Extra.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Port my word
    I didn't know port was a beverage of the upper crust

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Port my word
    It normally was a drink of the upper crust, I'm shocked you have the taste for it, Tailor's Special reserve,
    that a fine port.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coffee for me

Hidden Content Boot Hill, Where the Real Fights Are Fought.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Port my word
    It normally was a drink of the upper crust, I'm shocked you have the taste for it, Tailor's Special reserve,
    that a fine port.
    Is this a jab at my rural background? I do like to surprise people who tend to think of me as that provincial cousin.

Thread Information