Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the deal with GGG's telegraphed punches early on?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What was the deal with GGG's telegraphed punches early on?

First off, I think it was a good fight spoiled by a terribly weak stoppage. The result was inevitable as you can jump a weight, but not two like that. Even Manny kind of eased his way into it back when DLH became a Mummy at the weight. Brook was fighting Golovkin at his weight and Golovkin is in his prime unlike DLH.

The thing that struck me most in those early rounds though was just how off GGG's timing looked. He was throwing punches that you could see a mile away that only Carlos Baldomir would struggle to evade. I didn't understand why he was throwing those punches when it would be quite easy to counter and at times Brook did make him pay with suitable responses.

Why do you think GGG was throwing those awkward and off looking shots? GGG has a lot of experience and typically shows a lot of excellent technique, but it just looked sloppy and amateurish early on for me. It really wasn't so much about Brook being so fast as you could see yourself that the punches were just not going to land.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What was the deal with GGG's telegraphed punches early on?

As Floyd fans would say, "This half breed is a bum. Any decent black fighter with skills would wipe him out. If Floyd fought him it would be an easy 120-108 domination." Fact.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    As Floyd fans would say, "This half breed is a bum. Any decent black fighter with skills would wipe him out. If Floyd fought him it would be an easy 120-108 domination." Fact.
    you have got floyd's ear.........he's got a reason to comeback BIG now.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG knew he would be too strong for Brook and when he hurt him in the first round he decided to take his time. GGG took punches because he wanted to land his own and it worked.

Brook had his moments but that were all they were.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a shame Joe Calzaghe isn't still around as I think he has the perfect style to beat Golovkin. It would be epic. Every time Golovkin misses with one of those looping shots, Calzaghe would buzzsaw him with 8. Calzaghe would eat shots too, but he always manages to find a way. I find it very unusual how Golovkin was throwing those punches that were always a good foot away. Brook just had no power or resilience at the weight.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG is heavy handed and have freakish power.

I have seen him land punches high on opponents heads and he still hurts them.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As P4PKing said in the main thread

"it's probably hard to look good against a smaller and quicker guy who basically fought a 4 rounder."

I agree with that

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chaps did Brook give it a go YES he did he gave a good account of himself,! the better boxer in there was Kell the bigger natural fighter at the weight and puncher was GGG.
    The speed and punch picking were giving GGG problems
    Calzaghe would school GGG simple but he would be the bigger fighter he would make him look a plodder.
    I hated this fight as I like both fighters GGG and Brook.
    I would give Carl the cock a chance of beating GGG because of the weight. Kell was a made middle weight were GGG is a natural one, it showed a big difference in strength and power.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Chaps did Brook give it a go YES he did he gave a good account of himself,! the better boxer in there was Kell the bigger natural fighter at the weight and puncher was GGG.
    The speed and punch picking were giving GGG problems
    Calzaghe would school GGG simple but he would be the bigger fighter he would make him look a plodder.
    I hated this fight as I like both fighters GGG and Brook.
    I would give Carl the cock a chance of beating GGG because of the weight. Kell was a made middle weight were GGG is a natural one, it showed a big difference in strength and power.
    Brook had his moments but GGG was fully in control.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    It's a shame Joe Calzaghe isn't still around as I think he has the perfect style to beat Golovkin. It would be epic. Every time Golovkin misses with one of those looping shots, Calzaghe would buzzsaw him with 8. Calzaghe would eat shots too, but he always manages to find a way. I find it very unusual how Golovkin was throwing those punches that were always a good foot away. Brook just had no power or resilience at the weight.
    I am not that sure Miles. GGG is really a beast; precision, stamina, a granite chin and enough power to break through anybody's armor at his Weight. Not saying that he would tear Calzaghe apart easily but he would have more than some fair chances against him.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    GGG knew he would be too strong for Brook and when he hurt him in the first round he decided to take his time. GGG took punches because he wanted to land his own and it worked.

This misconception needs to stop. It dumbs down boxing fans in general. If he took them to give them he would have fired back. Numerous times he had both hands up to defend and got hit still because his head is as stationary as my refrigerator. When he would have both hands guarding up the middle Brook would loop his right around his guard, when he had his guard wide Brook cracked him with the uppercut. And many times no punches came back. Because GGG was trying to defend. His defense is just bad. He is a great fighter but he isn't perfect. His defense is bad because of his lack of head movement. He gets hit because of bad defense. All the excuses for his bad defense are simply that, excuses.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

This misconception needs to stop. It dumbs down boxing fans in general. If he took them to give them he would have fired back. Numerous times he had both hands up to defend and got hit still because his head is as stationary as my refrigerator. When he would have both hands guarding up the middle Brook would loop his right around his guard, when he had his guard wide Brook cracked him with the uppercut. And many times no punches came back. Because GGG was trying to defend. His defense is just bad. He is a great fighter but he isn't perfect. His defense is bad because of his lack of head movement. He gets hit because of bad defense. All the excuses for his bad defense are simply that, excuses.
    I'm sure GGG will appreciate your coaching efforts, pro bono of course, meanwhile he will clear up all the MW division titles, make a lot of money and probably retire unbeaten. If idiot fans pay to watch him destroy Mayweather his pension gets better still.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel GGG does not move his head because it will effect his punching power. I am sure he has considered moving his head but probably gave up on the idea because he wanted to stay balanced to throw his power punches. GGG has a good chin and does not mark up either, so why move the head.

Yes GGG did get caught and had his hands up to block the punches. So what? He is going to get hit, this is boxing. The punches probably did not hurt him either.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that's not a fact, its an opinion
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not every round.

GGG would win a few.

Fact.

Thread Information