Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anthony Joshua, whats not to like?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anthony Joshua, whats not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvan...ature=youtu.be

Great the way he spends time with these kids, a lot of sports stars would not have bothered.
    Balls

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua, whats not to like?

AJ is a genuine good guy outside the ring and a bad ass inside.

Almost everything so far in his career is running like clockwork.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brilliant role model and extremely fan friendly and marketable.

FACT - Josh is THE ONLY stand alone PPV fighter on the planet in ANY combat sport - He doesn't need a "Dance Partner" to sell out a Stadium......

Doesn't matter who he is fighting he can fill a 90,000 capacity stadium on his own and ticket demand for his fights these days prove he could probably double those ticket sales

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know what it is with him, he does come across as a good guy and I don't dislike him but I can't get on with him the way most do.

I think it's the blatant media training, I'd like to see how fan friendly he is when he's got his mates around him and no cameras, sky have built the absolute perfect package in him but if like to see a slightly more human/mortal side to him.

I found Ricky Hatton a lot more appealing because he was more relatable than AJ, I'd also like to see AJ get beat not because I dislike him but because of be interested to see him rebuild after defeat.
    It'd also be interesting to see how much love he gets after being proven to not be invincible.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I don't know what it is with him, he does come across as a good guy and I don't dislike him but I can't get on with him the way most do.

I think it's the blatant media training, I'd like to see how fan friendly he is when he's got his mates around him and no cameras, sky have built the absolute perfect package in him but if like to see a slightly more human/mortal side to him.

I found Ricky Hatton a lot more appealing because he was more relatable than AJ, I'd also like to see AJ get beat not because I dislike him but because of be interested to see him rebuild after defeat.
    It'd also be interesting to see how much love he gets after being proven to not be invincible.
    He is very scripted. He's a marketable commodity and there's a committe of PR people responsible for everything from stuff like that video to the words that come out of his mouth in public. Eventually with the passage of time all that stuff is only so successful and you get to see the man and the character gradually revealed. It may take a while though.

Good luck to him though.

El Kabong Guest

In other words AJ ain't spicy enough for Batman and Kirkland. AJ needs to have some personality to him, some edge. The Brits were 110% behind Hatton because Hatton was relateable he was the badass from the local pub who made it big. AJ has been packaged much the way Lennox Lewis was and the Brits were slow to warm to him as well. I can see that. I can see that being the case with Wilder too. Wilder is more himself than AJ but still not a magnetic or relatable personality.

The good news for fight fans is that their styles are relatable and magnetic. I mean they aren't built for a long time at the top but they're going to be exciting for the moment.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say Joshua has an easier ride than Lennox Lewis did with regards to public admiration.

Even now, Lewis is respected as amongst the best of his era and any era, but not easy to warm to.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sanatogen View Post
    I'd say Joshua has an easier ride than Lennox Lewis did with regards to public admiration.

Even now, Lewis is respected as amongst the best of his era and any era, but not easy to warm to.

Thanks for bringing up Lennox.
    Lennox makes Joshua look like a stand-up comedian in comparison.

Again I think AJ gets an undeserved bad rap for "lack of charisma".

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters personalities have no bearing on me whatsoever, I judge them solely on ability, will criticise or praise them regardless, however, the lads saying he's totally scripted are correct but it's easy to see through the media training, he has an obvious spiteful streak in and out of the ring, he shows genuine respect for fighters, and has never wavered from claiming to be on a constant learning curve, he just does an excellent job of portraying the perfect role model.

What I do like about him is he's not arrogant enough to believe he's superman.

Plenty of IFL videos of him not playing to the corporate machine (they are the only Youtubers he ever breaks cover for)
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-30-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    In other words AJ ain't spicy enough for Batman and Kirkland. AJ needs to have some personality to him, some edge. The Brits were 110% behind Hatton because Hatton was relateable he was the badass from the local pub who made it big. AJ has been packaged much the way Lennox Lewis was and the Brits were slow to warm to him as well. I can see that. I can see that being the case with Wilder too. Wilder is more himself than AJ but still not a magnetic or relatable personality. The good news for fight fans is that their styles are relatable and magnetic. I mean they aren't built for a long time at the top but they're going to be exciting for the moment.
    I'm not saying he needs to have anything. I'm fine with him the way he is. I'm just saying he's a carefully packaged product and the image we're presented with is unlikely to be entirely accurate. I hardly watch any youtube stuff about fighters or even listen to their in-ring interviews after they've fought. I'm not interested in any of it. Very occasionally I'll watch something posted on here if it catches my eye but I'll rarely make it through an entire video. All I'm saying is that even from the little I've seen of him it's obvious he has a powerful PR organisation behind him creating a narrative. And there's nothing wrong with that. Good luck to him. I like the way he fights too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Impressed with his physique..just like Wlad he looks like a champion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​I followed him as an amateur, plus as a new a raw professional.

I do object, though, to the media fawning all over him and how he is carefully packaged for crossover PPV 'fans'. A young, handsome smiling kid (still lives with his mum) who you would be happy for your daughter to go out with. I cannot think of a heavyweight champion who has been image mashed into such a sickenly wholesome package.

Unthreatening and media coached to within an inch of his life, and always doing product placement.

Have a read of this, he sounds EXACTLY like Ivan Drago for fucks sake

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/43569060
    Last edited by X; 03-31-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me it is because he seems like a politician. The media training is obvious and I find it phony. A lot of people in sports are like that from football to snooker to tennis. The real person might as well not exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Anthony Joshua, now that he has been badly beaten by a fat Mexican.

Thread Information