Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Small fight venues that measure up

Ballrooms are the worst but there are some real nice, quaint venues that come to mind for me. Primm Nevada Star of the Desert arena is my all time favorite small venue aside from the lone gate. Hard rock in Vegas is a favorite of mine too. I want to hit up fantasy springs here soon as well as morongo. When I lived on the east coast I always wanted to hit up Foxwoods in Connecticut and the dc armory.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Small fight venues that measure up

Morongo is cool, pechanga is ok, but my favorite venue of all time is the Home Depot Center in Carson.

I have so many boxing memories over there after going countless times. I feel right at home at the HDC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Morongo is cool, pechanga is ok, but my favorite venue of all time is the Home Depot Center in Carson.

I have so many boxing memories over there after going countless times. I feel right at home at the HDC.
    Yeah, I want to get to Home Depot center as well, although I wouldn't put that in the small venue category. What's it hold like 12,000+ for boxing ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Small college basketball arenas are the best. EVERY seat is a good seat. Saw James Toney in action and walked right down to ringside. Stood right next to Montell Griffin, Michael Nunn and practically the entire Detroit Pistons team who was in town for a game.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyV297 View Post

Yeah, I want to get to Home Depot center as well, although I wouldn't put that in the small venue category. What's it hold like 12,000+ for boxing ?
    HDC isn't tiny by no means but the venue is set up in a way so that you would feel very cozy.

Once you are there, you will know what I'm talking about. There is not a bad seat in the house.

Only complaint I have is how hot it gets during summer which is acceptable since its outdoor. When I was there for Nonito-Mathebula, the heat was extreme.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HDC isn't tiny by no means but the venue is set up in a way so that you would feel very cozy.

Once you are there, you will know what I'm talking about. There is not a bad seat in the house.

Only complaint I have is how hot it gets during summer which is acceptable since its outdoor. When I was there for Nonito-Mathebula, the heat was extreme.
    Home Depot looks great on tv. It's built for soccer and tennis right ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    Small college basketball arenas are the best. EVERY seat is a good seat. Saw James Toney in action and walked right down to ringside. Stood right next to Montell Griffin, Michael Nunn and practically the entire Detroit Pistons team who was in town for a game.
    You're right. They are just big enough to provide a big fight feel yet small enough to get up close and personal. The only thing I have found with small college arenas for fights is that it seems to take an hour to get a drink. Concessions suck.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

York Hall

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ballrooms are the worst but there are some real nice, quaint venues that come to mind for me. Primm Nevada Star of the Desert arena is my all time favorite small venue aside from the lone gate. Hard rock in Vegas is a favorite of mine too. I want to hit up fantasy springs here soon as well as morongo. When I lived on the east coast I always wanted to hit up Foxwoods in Connecticut and the dc armory.
    I saw GGG v Macklin in Foxwoods. Great place to see a fight. Shobox is doing a fight their in May. I'm gonna call and check out the ticket situation. I've been to many sporting events but that match was amazing. The place was electric. Most of the fans were diehard boxing fans and I struck up a conversation with everyone around me. I guess that is a plus with boxing current status, not a lot of fans but most of us who are into are hardcore and knowledgeable.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It looks like the sun could be real problem too. I haven't been there so don't know for sure, seems like I remember a lot people shading their eyes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best small fight venue was the historic Blue Horizon in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Countless ring-battles took place there.
    International audiences saw fights broadcasted from that venue.

Closed in 2010.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been to Pechanga. It kind of sucked that the police put up a sobriety checkpoint on the main road, about 8 feet outside the reservation. I took a back road out, wandered around in the dark for four hours, then came out about 150 feet north of the check point on a dirt road.
    The Olympic Auditorium was the best place to see a fight.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post

I've been to Pechanga. It kind of sucked that the police put up a sobriety checkpoint on the main road, about 8 feet outside the reservation. I took a back road out, wandered around in the dark for four hours, then came out about 150 feet north of the check point on a dirt road.
    I bet that really killed your buzz huh.. lol the mission was well worth it though yea?

Speaking of Olympic Auditorium, you just reminded me of something i forgot all these years...

I watched Vargas-Vanderpool over there and that was the first time I saw Pacquiao live as he faced Emmanuel Lucero on the undercard..

That was the last time at the Olympics... what a memory bruh.. I actually saw pacman at the OA right before he blew up in his very next fight against barrera....

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post

I bet that really killed your buzz huh.. lol the mission was well worth it though yea?

Speaking of Olympic Auditorium, you just reminded me of something i forgot all these years...

I watched Vargas-Vanderpool over there and that was the first time I saw Pacquiao live as he faced Emmanuel Lucero on the undercard..

That was the last time at the Olympics... what a memory bruh.. I actually saw pacman at the OA right before he blew up in his very next fight against barrera....
    My mom used to take me there for boxing and wrestling in 1968,69,70. After my sister was born in 72 we only went to wrestling. We used to take the bus into the rat-ass downtown LA station, then catch a bus to the Olympic. After the fights we would catch a bus across the street from the Olympic and go up Figueroa; we had friends that lived up there, near Alpine and Hill streets, by the Croatian church.
    Last time I went to the fights there, I sat in the 8th row. Roger Mayweather fought one of the Bejines brothers. Azabache Martinez, Dana Roston and Marcos Villasan were also on the card.

Thread Information