Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Richard Torrez Jr. under Freddie Roach?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Richard Torrez Jr. under Freddie Roach?

How do you think Torrez would do with Roach as his trainer? Could Roach turn him into a HW Pacquiao?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Richard Torrez Jr. under Freddie Roach?

Excuse my ignorance, but who does Freddie Roach train nowadays? Does he have any stars? Don’t know why but I was under the impression that he was old news nowadays.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    How do you think Torrez would do with Roach as his trainer? Could Roach turn him into a HW Pacquiao?
    I don't think Torrez is the heavyweight of the future. I just don't think he has the size or ability to compete with the HW's we know today. jmo...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do I keep reading about Torrez not having enough size?

Last I checked, his HW fights have been pretty consistently around 225. Ok... he's 6'-2". A bit short compared to a behemoth like Fury. But (and I'm NOT comparing, people) isn't Usyk just an inch taller? He's doing pretty well for himself, isn't he?

With only 3 pro fights to his name, it's waaayyy too early to assume anything about Torrez. He's still plenty raw and obviously needs a lot more rounds and MUCH better opposition.

One thing I don't think anyone will question for the time being is his power, though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They're going to Berlanga this guy. I get it..power and splatting out guys sell. But these wwe type squash matches re aired and spotlighted 24-7 today do nothing but kneecap natual development.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Richard Torrez sees himself as part of a new generation in heavyweight boxing that is looking to take over the division in years to come.

The USA's Torrez won the super-heavyweight silver medal at the Tokyo Olympic Games.

He sees himself, Olympic bronze medallist Frazer Clarke and gold medallist Bakhodir Jalolov as just some of the next generation heavyweights who will make a mark on the professional sport.

"I hope so. I think that this is a great time in heavyweight boxing. You see the guys up top that have kind of kicked down the doors again. And you see the up and comers coming through as well," he told Sky Sports.

"A lot of great talent, a lot of power, speed, technique and range and varieties of heavyweight boxing as well. It's going to be one heck of a few years to come and I'm proud and thankful and honoured to be a part of that and I just want to come out on top of it.

"I don't think we can rule out Jared Anderson either. Jared's a big dude and I think he's coming up in the rankings well," he added.

"There's such great competition that we can't say who's going to be the top guys right now.

"One of the things that drives me so much is that there is so much competition. So I'm not going to sit back and just relax.

"I'm working hard because I know there's things I need to improve and things I need to get better at for the time when I do face these guys."

The American would like to travel to the UK to fight Clarke.

"I think that would be an amazing fight. Frazer Clarke, he's one of my friends. When I was 17, it was the first time I sparred Frazer at the Olympic training centre in the United States. Then we were in a bunch of tournaments together. We just never really met up in the same fight but he's one heck of a guy and that would be one heck of a fight," Torrez said.

"That would be a ton of action. I think that fight would go into the later rounds and I think that it's a heavyweight battle, someone's going to land a shot. I think that's how it goes. I think it's going to be conditioning versus technique."

In the modern heavyweight division, Torrez is one of the smaller fighters. But he maintains he has the attributes to trouble the big men like Clarke.

"I think while it's negative in the long game, it's more effective in the short game. So I can land those short shots, I can land those uppercuts, those hooks and with the bigger guy I'd be able to hook harder and have more time to land those in close shots," he said.

"To be able to get inside, just suck up that distance and use my conditioning while I'm on the inside to just keep punching, I think that would deter a lot of the bigger guys."

He takes inspiration from how Oleksandr Usyk moved up from cruiserweight to become the unified WBO, WBA and IBF heavyweight champion. A southpaw himself, with an Olympic background like Usyk too, Torrez aspires to follow that template.

"Look at Usyk, look at what he has done, and to be able to try and mimic some of his style as well. It's incredible," he said.

"It really is shining a light on the smaller heavyweights again and I'm really appreciative of that."

Torrez plans to continue his advance and put his high-octane style to work against James Bryant on the Emanuel Navarrete vs Liam Wilson undercard. He expects to deliver some drama once again.

"I believe so. After a fight, if I'm not dead tired I feel like I've done something wrong," he said. "I'm training to have a really high punch output and you will see that in the fight."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...371243b9f292d5
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

back on march twenty fifth
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information