Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko

Throughout Randy Couture's reign in the UFC, Randy's credentials as the heavyweight champion were continiously scrutinised by knowledgable mixed martial arts fans.

Without the backing of the marketing dynamo that is the UFC one would have presumed Fedor would have gone under the radar, but with sheer dominance and indeed precision he has forged his own cult-like following.
    This repuatation was enough to cast a shadow upon Randy Couture's claim as "World" Champion.

A potential fight between Couture and Emelianenko was long perceived as routine for Fedor. It was believed that Couture would become, "just another victim." The primary reinforcement to this theory was the analysis of common opposition; Tim Sylvia being the most noteworthy.
    Couture had a memorable battle with Sylvia, where as Fedor anihalated Tim in under a minute. For many fans this was enough proof that Fedor would indeed destrot Couture.

However, upon relection on Randy's decorated career, I tend to disagree. I believe Fedor would indeed beat Randy, but I also feel that Couture would have given him his hardest fight.
    Around the period in which he fought Gonzaga, Randy Couture was a very experienced fighter who had accumulated a vast amount of knowledge on how to succeed within the rules of MMA. This was demonstrated against Gonzaga with couture negating the adavantages Gabriel possessed in terms of height, reach and supposedly power.
    In this fight Couture never achieved the scintilating glory that Fedor generated in fights such as that with Arlovski (spelling?) Instead Couture dogged out a win, clawed his way to visctory, surviving at times.

This was not only the story of the Gonzaga fight, this was the story of his career. Couture battled it out, clung on and survived at times and dogged out some memorable victories.
    Altough certainly a class above nearly all of Coutures opposition, I believe he could do the same with Fedor. I could see Couture utilising a disfavourable strategy of dirty boxing, clinching and perhaps ground and pound in giving Fedor all he could handle.

Again, I feel Fedor is the better all round fighter, but I just felt that Randy should not be discounted all that quickly.
    I'm thoroughly disappointed this fight never happened!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko

I don't think you can ever write off Couture, the man is a beast! One of my favourite of all time

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I don't think you can ever write off Couture, the man is a beast! One of my favourite of all time
    I t5hink you just summarised my entire rant in a sentence

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have tremendous respect for Couture and he still is a fighter that should not be taken lightly. BUT...this fight should have happened many years ago. Even then...I see Fedor having won. But right now...i really think Randy would get badly hurt. Fedor is not just a physical beast...he is a very intelligent fighter. He can beat you standing up, he can beat you on the ground, and he can take your best shot and keep coming. It will take a very special fighter at the HEIGHT of their powers to challenge him right now.
    Last edited by zhubin; 06-25-2009 at 04:45 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Zhubin, A few years back, it would have been very interesting, a powerhouse in wrestling like Randy has the style to defeat Fedor but at the moment, Randy's a bit too old to have a serious chance against the Last EMperor, sure, we can't count him out ever but he definitely doesn't have the edge.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information