User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who was better, Lewis or Wlad?

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Who was better, Lewis or Wlad?

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Your way to emotionally involved in Wlad..let it go.

Wlad could come back now at 40 plus and still throw a massive spanner m in the works for the top 3..but the fact remains he is still missing that spite that alot of the top heavyweights in the past had.

Wlad can compete in any era and deserves to be in the top 20 heavyweights of all time..but Wlad and his brother will always be behind Lewis..everyone knows that.

Lewis happily ducked the rematch but look what happened in the first fight..he won..and the corner had to stop Vitali as he was so badly cut/injured..we can’t rewrite history.

Do you think Fury would have schooled the late version of Lennox Lewis?..no way.
    OK Wlad is missing spite....60+ wins 50+ stoppages, and no spite at all,

but Wlad and his brother will always be behind Lewis
    Not in successful title defenses, not in title fights had, not in successful consecutive title defenses....Wlad leads those and by a wide margin.

the corner had to stop Vitali
    The CORNER stopped nothing, the ringside DOCTOR stopped the fight, Vitali was still ready to go, Lennox was extremely relieved it was all over.

I have no idea how Lennox vs Fury would go and I would reckon you would only have a guess as well.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Your way to emotionally involved in Wlad..let it go.

Wlad could come back now at 40 plus and still throw a massive spanner m in the works for the top 3..but the fact remains he is still missing that spite that alot of the top heavyweights in the past had.

Wlad can compete in any era and deserves to be in the top 20 heavyweights of all time..but Wlad and his brother will always be behind Lewis..everyone knows that.

Lewis happily ducked the rematch but look what happened in the first fight..he won..and the corner had to stop Vitali as he was so badly cut/injured..we can’t rewrite history.

Do you think Fury would have schooled the late version of Lennox Lewis?..no way.
    OK Wlad is missing spite....60+ wins 50+ stoppages, and no spite at all,

but Wlad and his brother will always be behind Lewis
    Not in successful title defenses, not in title fights had, not in successful consecutive title defenses....Wlad leads those and by a wide margin.

the corner had to stop Vitali
    The CORNER stopped nothing, the ringside DOCTOR stopped the fight, Vitali was still ready to go, Lennox was extremely relieved it was all over.

I have no idea how Lennox vs Fury would go and I would reckon you would only have a guess as well.
    Are you still on this?

Doctor stopped the fight because it was a horrible cut, Vitali may have been ready to go but was saved the injury getting worse. It could have ended his career if it carried on.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Terrible ringside doctor..doing his job.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Are you still on this?

Doctor stopped the fight because it was a horrible cut, Vitali may have been ready to go but was saved the injury getting worse. It could have ended his career if it carried on.
    Yes and I'll stay the fuck on it too @Master ....people call Vitali out for quitting "He quit, he quit, he's a quitter"......no quit in him that night, no quit in him other than the time he fought Chris Byrd and tore the absolute hell out of his rotator cuff meaning he couldn't throw a punch properly so he was fighting with 1 arm. I mean I guess he could have continued the way Holyfield did when he tore his rotator cuff but that ended Evander's career for the most part.

Yes the cut was horrible, nobody is complaining about the doctor @imp but it's a false statement to say either Vitali quit OR Vitali's corner stopped the fight....both of those are FALSE, UNTRUE.

But hey I guess if you want to say those things and not be corrected, then go right ahead because what actually happened apparently means very little to you.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vitali is not a quitter and never quit during that fight.

The decision was not in his hands like so many other decisions in the countless years of boxing.

Lewis won the fight because Vitalis face ended up getting that way during the fight.

If Lewis face was like that the ring doctor would have said the same.

This thread is nothing to do with Vitali..he lost to Lewis so let’s draw a line under that one.

Wlad is a great champion buy I think the majority agree that he would never beat Lewis..all fantasy stuff anyway.

Lewis avenged all his losses.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Are you still on this?

Yes and I'll stay the fuck on it too @Master ....people call Vitali out for quitting "He quit, he quit, he's a quitter"......no quit in him that night, no quit in him other than the time he fought Chris Byrd and tore the absolute hell out of his rotator cuff meaning he couldn't throw a punch properly so he was fighting with 1 arm. I mean I guess he could have continued the way Holyfield did when he tore his rotator cuff but that ended Evander's career for the most part.

Yes the cut was horrible, nobody is complaining about the doctor @imp but it's a false statement to say either Vitali quit OR Vitali's corner stopped the fight....both of those are FALSE, UNTRUE.

But hey I guess if you want to say those things and not be corrected, then go right ahead because what actually happened apparently means very little to you.
    Vitali is definitely a tough man and good champion. If not for injuries he would have had as long a reign as Wlad.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A huge damper on Wlad is that he avoided (although excusably) the best HW during his reign which was his brother. If they had fought and Vitali won, then his title reign and number of defenses wouldn’t be a factor. He would have been the same exact fighter, but would be looked at differently.

That is my biggest problem. I just have a very hard time believing that Wlad would beat Vitali and because he never proved that he could, his reign is tainted whether it was a good excuse or not.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can we once and for all put away the stamp of 'weak chin' regarding Lewis. Two lackadaisical nights, two single right hands and two knock downs does not trump warring and staying upright against the punching likes of Ruddock, Mercer, Bruno, Tyson, Briggs, Morrison, Vitali, Tua, 24 rnds of Holyfield left hooks etc etc. Lewis just had more depth and polish for me. His jab was one that kept a guy at bay to be followed by brutal uppercuts and right hands. Wlads jab was a premier signature but at times it was also the entire fight and he used it as a buffer to almost prevent some good action. Both special weapons but I think with very different intentions as was their confidence. I think when push came to shove Lewis was just a harder man.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, I never got the sense that Lewis was fighting "not to get knocked out". There's a very fine line that goes unnoticed a lot of times, but can alter the whole complexion of a fight. Defense is one thing, and we all appreciate it. I love a good defensive fighter as much as anybody. But fighting "not to get knocked out" isn't just good defense. It's a style which exasperates and many times leads to questionable tactics in the ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Can we once and for all put away the stamp of 'weak chin' regarding Lewis. Two lackadaisical nights, two single right hands and two knock downs does not trump warring and staying upright against the punching likes of Ruddock, Mercer, Bruno, Tyson, Briggs, Morrison, Vitali, Tua, 24 rnds of Holyfield left hooks etc etc. Lewis just had more depth and polish for me. His jab was one that kept a guy at bay to be followed by brutal uppercuts and right hands. Wlads jab was a premier signature but at times it was also the entire fight and he used it as a buffer to almost prevent some good action. Both special weapons but I think with very different intentions as was their confidence. I think when push came to shove Lewis was just a harder man.
    Great Post!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Late to this but Lewis for me and it's not even close.

Lewis skills were on the slide by Vitali fight and he knew he didn't have it in him for a rematch - time was calling on him and he had the sense to get out and after years at the top he had every right to make that call. Vitali was 5 years or so younger ?

Bit like Wlad pulling out of the AJ rematch - he knew time had called and we can't blame him.

Lewis lost twice. I still say the McCall fight was stopped prematurely - though chances are McCall would have stopped him - and I've still never got over why Lewis, such a professional his entire career, didn't prepare properly for Rahman fight. Bit of an insult to the fans and the sport. Hagler commentating in second round "his mouth his open, he's struggling to breathe"...

Still the rematch showed us how good he really was.

Top 5 greatest all time ? Maybe not but very close.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At their peaks Lewis KOs Wlad within 5
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    At their peaks Lewis KOs Wlad within 5
    Agreed, no way wlad gets out of this without being KO'd.

Thread Information