Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What should Crawford’s next move be?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What should Crawford’s next move be?

It looks as though Spence has all the options in the world. It sounds like both Garcia and Thurman want a fight with him. He is also talking about a Pacquiao fight. Crawford is on the outside looking in. The ball is in his court now.

I think that it’s time to demand Arum to make a fight with one of the big dogs of the division. Honestly, if he can’t get a fight with Spence next, he should demand a fight with Porter to prove that he can beat Porter more convincingly. Or he needs to really push for a Pacquiao fight (even though I doubt that Pacquiao will work with Arum). The ball is in Crawford’s court now. If he doesn’t start demanding the best fights, he will fall by the wayside.

Unfortunately, I think that Crawford is the best fighter on the planet. I like him as a fighter and don’t think that he has ducked anybody. The problem is that I feel like he hasn’t been actively pushing for big fights.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What should Crawford’s next move be?

Crawford should go for Manny because the others are in their incestious relationship with PBC. That merry go round will generate money but little excitement and anticipation for boxing fans. If Crawford keeps getting his big purses he will continue defending his title too. Just a shame the 2 best in the division at their peak may never fight one another until 5 years past their prime.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao wouldn’t fight Crawford when they were in the same stable, he definitely won’t now. No insult to PAC, he just doesn’t need that beating. PAC has built his legacy, he’s going to make every extra bit of money he can now.

TR hasn’t pushed Crawford as the lighter skinned fighters are always priority at TR. The only way he gets big fights is if he goes to the guys and puts them on blast directly. Go to Dallas and call Spence out, in his gym, on camera “I’m on your side of the street right here, are you going to cross the street to get away?!”

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny has lost before and still do good numbers. I guess Crawford or Spence will not be too bothered if they get the big money already without having to risk it against a truly top world class boxer at the peak of their powers.

This is similar to AJ and Wilder. It did not matter who they successfully defended their title against everyone wanted the unification to prove who was the best in the division.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Manny has lost before and still do good numbers. I guess Crawford or Spence will not be too bothered if they get the big money already without having to risk it against a truly top world class boxer at the peak of their powers.

This is similar to AJ and Wilder. It did not matter who they successfully defended their title against everyone wanted the unification to prove who was the best in the division.
    Problem with Crawford/Spence is Arum got rich dangling the May/PAC carrot all the while holding out by asking for an unrealistic percentage. Once they accepted the proper share we had the fight. Here they are doing the same in regards to Spence/Bud, 50/50 is simply not supported by the numbers. So the fight won’t happen until they decide to be realistic.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Problem with Crawford/Spence is Arum got rich dangling the May/PAC carrot all the while holding out by asking for an unrealistic percentage. Once they accepted the proper share we had the fight. Here they are doing the same in regards to Spence/Bud, 50/50 is simply not supported by the numbers. So the fight won’t happen until they decide to be realistic.
    Sounds like the AJ/Wilder negotiations all over again.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s just unfortunate that there can’t be a clear cut way to divide money

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has to demand better. Whatever I may think about pbc they keep the wheels turning on both 'surprise' great fights like last night and almost a second tier of guys at 147 for opponent roles. Sadly have to put Danny Garcia in that as basically they had that fight made all along pending the cards with Porter. Crawford is very much on the outside and settling on the profile of his opposition to carry the night, Khan and talk of Manny, rather than competitive 'what ifs' going in. I have no desire to watch Crawford batter Manny around. In fairness have to feel same way about Spence v Garcia as both fights just feel like wastes of time. Shame these two are so close but so far apart and Bud just hit 32 yesterday, clock's ticking. Great mega fights delayed usually result in one getting 'upset' and both missing the bus speaking of AJ and Wilder.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 09-29-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

But there can. Promoters just use money as a way to select what suits them. They don’t follow simple business practices. They could very simply look at each’s last PPV, compare and have a percentage to begin negotiations. Or if that’s somehow unfair look at every PPV, calculate average, compare and have those numbers to begin negotiations. Of course you would swing the percentages a bit towards the fighter getting less because it takes 2 to sell a fight. But it’s a realistic starting point. One guy sells 3 times as much but it’s 50/50, no. When Bob says 50/50 he’s saying he doesn’t want the fight. Anyone that denies that is lying to people.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

But there can. Promoters just use money as a way to select what suits them. They don’t follow simple business practices. They could very simply look at each’s last PPV, compare and have a percentage to begin negotiations. Or if that’s somehow unfair look at every PPV, calculate average, compare and have those numbers to begin negotiations. Of course you would swing the percentages a bit towards the fighter getting less because it takes 2 to sell a fight. But it’s a realistic starting point. One guy sells 3 times as much but it’s 50/50, no. When Bob says 50/50 he’s saying he doesn’t want the fight. Anyone that denies that is lying to people.
    I get that, but I’m saying that it would be nice if title holders automatically got a specific percentage so that there wouldn’t really need to be much negotiation. It will always be extremely hard to negotiate if you are the better fighter fighting the bigger draw.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so Crawford can’t get 50/50 with Spence, but Porter can??
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford’s next move should be to leave top rank and take Loma with him. They need PBC/Harmon at this point, unfortunately for them. Loma less so, but Bud has zero legacy building competition where he is and the PBC guys can all make money fighting each other. Sucks, but that is where things are at.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacs not gonna fight Crawford, so as much as i hate the though of him fighting a lightweight, I'd say he needs to go after Mikey (if mikey will do business with TR) . He has to make a comparison to the other top dogs in the division. So unless thurmans supposed hand injury clears up, or he wants to be in a dogfight with porter at this point in his career. Mikey's probably the easiest (still on the pound for pound list and the weights probably not his best division). if he can beat mikey more convincingly than spence (don't know if he can KO Mikey but either more aggressively or a couple of flash knockdowns as mikeys been known to be caught cold early on.) He becomes the more noticeable elephant in the room to the more casual fan.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Pacs not gonna fight Crawford, so as much as i hate the though of him fighting a lightweight, I'd say he needs to go after Mikey (if mikey will do business with TR) . He has to make a comparison to the other top dogs in the division. So unless thurmans supposed hand injury clears up, or he wants to be in a dogfight with porter at this point in his career. Mikey's probably the easiest (still on the pound for pound list and the weights probably not his best division). if he can beat mikey more convincingly than spence (don't know if he can KO Mikey but either more aggressively or a couple of flash knockdowns as mikeys been known to be caught cold early on.) He becomes the more noticeable elephant in the room to the more casual fan.
    Mikey Garcia now becoming a gatekeeper and barometer for world class welterweight champions? Is that what he has become? Wasted career if it is.

Thread Information