Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Cortez was overrated as a REf!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Cortez was overrated as a REf!

He sucked in reality. He seemed to slow and had some dodgy stoppages.

Randy Neuman was a dumbass too. Norman "Stoney" Stone was right to rail off on him during the Ruiz and Golota fight.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Cortez was overrated as a REf!

When Nigel Benn fought Mauro Galvano in Italy he was going to get ripped off by the Italians and lose his challenge for the title. Benn cut Galvano with a punch during the contest but the Italians were claiming it was a head-butt.

Cortez stood his ground to the intimidation and said that Benn had caused the cut by a punch and it was a legitimate stoppage and should have the title.

Cortez was excellent in that fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do people rate him highly? He has never been very good

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In general, the quality of referees began to go down hill as referees developed their own catch phrases and such. They started to think that they were part of the show, that people came to see them.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    In general, the quality of referees began to go down hill as referees developed their own catch phrases and such. They started to think that they were part of the show, that people came to see them.
    Except firm but fair Mills Lane who was on the whole very good.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree, anytime you have a referee standing between the two fighters saying " I'M firm but I'M fair" you know he'll be looking for the cameras to get his cameos. It's not about you ref and we prefer you invisible. Mercante Jr the same way. Major league unofficial 3rd participant who no one paid to see.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    When Nigel Benn fought Mauro Galvano in Italy he was going to get ripped off by the Italians and lose his challenge for the title. Benn cut Galvano with a punch during the contest but the Italians were claiming it was a head-butt.

Cortez stood his ground to the intimidation and said that Benn had caused the cut by a punch and it was a legitimate stoppage and should have the title.

Oh yeah, cos the baddie boy Italian and his gang of thugs were gonna rip Benn off. Angelo Dundee cuts Ali’s glove and he’s the cleverest cunt in Boxing!
    Never had any Brits cheat have we? Fucking Racist!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mills Lane was a legend.

Let’s get it on
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best referees are the ones you don't notice are there...i don't like the glory hounds, sticking their nose in where it isn't warranted. Let them fight i say!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've said this before but Mills Lane had a terrible terrible habit of putting his hands on fighters without calling break. Constantly trying to rip one fighters arm from a clinch, essentially making them defenceless on one side. I hated him doing that, dangerous and stupid.

The referee should be as invisible as possible, but they're not. As mentioned they have their own catchphrases, there's footage of them prefight talking to fighters, we have graphics on screen telling us their notable assignments (not sure if that still happens to be honest). They have a very important job but lets not promote it to equal billing with the fighters.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I've said this before but Mills Lane had a terrible terrible habit of putting his hands on fighters without calling break. Constantly trying to rip one fighters arm from a clinch, essentially making them defenceless on one side. I hated him doing that, dangerous and stupid.

The referee should be as invisible as possible, but they're not. As mentioned they have their own catchphrases, there's footage of them prefight talking to fighters, we have graphics on screen telling us their notable assignments (not sure if that still happens to be honest). They have a very important job but lets not promote it to equal billing with the fighters.
    Mills used to smack you so hard on your bicep. Hard to not take notice.In hindsight, Bayless was a bit of a Hollywood Ref too. Overrated in many respects.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Oh yeah, cos the baddie boy Italian and his gang of thugs were gonna rip Benn off. Angelo Dundee cuts Ali’s glove and he’s the cleverest cunt in Boxing!
    Herol Graham knocked down Kalambay twice clearly outpointing him and being robbed. I never forget.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Herol Graham knocked down Kalambay twice clearly outpointing him and being robbed. I never forget.
    Don’t make me talk negatively about Graham because he’s one of my all time faves, but Kalambay beat Graham fair and square in the U.K. Without an Italian Judge in site.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don’t make me talk negatively about Graham because he’s one of my all time faves, but Kalambay beat Graham fair and square in the U.K. Without an Italian Judge in site.
    The rematch was in italy.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was on about the rematch which was in italy.

Thread Information