Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default This kind of thing makes me almost cry. Check it out

Since I don't know if I can post the whole thing here.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Dan/Horgan_121606.htm

Just read it, read it all. It's very uplifting, and I wish that gym the best and hope it does not close and I may donate some money to it as well.

I'd appreciate everyone to comment on this topic

-Majesty
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This kind of thing makes me almost cry. Check it out

I just find it a little maddening that she does all this outside of boxing and should really be a figure or a face for a part of the sport, but she doesn't get that recognition, and on the other hand Laila Ali is the one who gets all the TV time and close to million dollar purses against nobodies.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why don't you tell me what's it about. On the real, I don't read garbage out of Doghouse anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Why don't you tell me what's it about. On the real, I don't read garbage out of Doghouse anymore.
    It's about her gym and how its open to anyone and how many of the kids go there and how she tries to help impact their lives and no matter what their background her doors are always open and how they see her as a big sister to them all and how no matter how negative their past she wants to help them out to better themselves. How most kids come there just to eat or a place to be away from all the bad things in their life. It's a really touching article.

But the sad part is that the gym barely has enough money to stay open and it may close soon. And after it does where will these kids that came there for that hope to turn their lives around when their lives were headed down a different path. If that gym closes where will they go?

It's very touching but sad as well. You can read it, it's very touching. it was to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Since I don't know if I can post the whole thing here.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Dan/Horgan_121606.htm

Just read it, read it all. It's very uplifting, and I wish that gym the best and hope it does not close and I may donate some money to it as well.

I'd appreciate everyone to comment on this topic

-Majesty
    yeah Ann Wolfe is cool .. she can crack that whip in the ring too. nice skills and excellent power.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's about her gym and how its open to anyone and how many of the kids go there and how she tries to help impact their lives and no matter what their background her doors are always open and how they see her as a big sister to them all and how no matter how negative their past she wants to help them out to better themselves. How most kids come there just to eat or a place to be away from all the bad things in their life. It's a really touching article.

But the sad part is that the gym barely has enough money to stay open and it may close soon. And after it does where will these kids that came there for that hope to turn their lives around when their lives were headed down a different path. If that gym closes where will they go?

It's very touching but sad as well. You can read it, it's very touching. it was to me.
    Since your recommending it, I'll check it out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah man, but I get mad that Laila gets all this glory from the boxing world because of her last name. But Ann Wolfe is actually trying to make a difference. She should really be a face of boxing in my opinion.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah man, but I get mad that Laila gets all this glory from the boxing world because of her last name. But Ann Wolfe is actually trying to make a difference. She should really be a face of boxing in my opinion.
    Good story. Glad I read it. Makes me look at Anne Wolfe in a different light.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good story. Glad I read it. Makes me look at Anne Wolfe in a different light.
    Me too. She's one of the people that could really bring a light back to this sport. But the fact that she gets no time or anything like that is already a black eye for the sport. But the great thing is she doesn't do it for recognition so she probably doesn't care about sponsers or air time etc..

But the fact that she does this should be looked at. If HBO or Showtime should do a story about someone its her.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will say this, if Kronk had to shut down then I wouldn't be surprised if her did also...

In the past year or so a handful of gyms, venues have either shut down or been sold....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can feel for the program. For a while the gym me and my buddy own had a simular problem. We had no funds and paid out of pocket the $1500 a month rent plus utilites and it was getting to be too much. It was cutting into our personal finances. Thank god we have supporting wives. Boxing sort of died out around here for a while and I was traveling to work with pros for funds.
    We got an idea for an amatuer program. we worked with the schools and offer an after school program for kids 9-13. that included tutoring with school work and then an hour and a half of training. Then went to the local college and put up flyers offering free membership for and students willing to help with the tutoring.
    The program went off like a rocket especially with single parents who had no sitters. At $35 a month they had a safe place for the kids. We even got 2 national champions and ESG medal winners in two of the college kids out of it. Our place had been around since the 50's we bought it in shambles. Program still going strong after 6 years. Of course we now have pro's so that helps.
    Yeah it sucks when a good thing is in jeopardy.I know the feeling.I wish her the best...
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's a bad situation mann...
    Be a shame to see the gym close.. Depends really about the size of her gym.. If its only small and theyr struggling thats a major bummer.. But if its a pretty decent big gym then perhaps she should sell up and relocate to a cheaper smaller gym..
    also not that its a great thing for her career but she could try fighting loads.. though that would take alot out of her.. especially at her age.. Thats more suited to young fighters in all fairness..
    I remember nigel benn fought something like 13 fights in his first year as a pro..
    Also.. Donations are all good, but maybe they could focus on british people perhaps donating since the Pound is soon to be and already near enough 2 dollars..
    So if there were a group or if she got some sort of backing from a boxing company over here that'd help out..
    She's no laila ali ( as in bieng known) but she's still a pretty big name in all fairness.. Maybe she can get some sort of sponsorship from some boxing companies?
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information