Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Johnny Famechon?

Being an aussie i love to knoe about my countries boxing past. One name that i dont hear about but who obviously was a terrific fighter is Johnny Famechon. Its hard to judge just how good he was cos he fought in the 60s and a lot of his opponents are names that are hard to research.
    Does anyone here know much about Johhny, know any good stories, and how he rates amongst other great featherweights.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Johnny Famechon?

Not to much but seen him in a few matches.Had a crazy defense against frmr.Fly and bantam champ Fighting Harada In Australia.It was Reffed buy Willie pep and It was not handled well.
    Alot of missed calls by Pep.Harada slips in 5th and its ruled a Knockdown.Famechon was down By blows 3 times(1 ruled a slip).At the end Pep raised both fighters hands (Ref.sole judge)declaring a draw.This is the great part,Mickey Duff,then co-promoter "asked"the Local police to examine peps card where they saw pep actually scored it 70-69 Famechon
    They rematched In Jan. 70' In Tokyo.It was back and forth For 8 or 9 rnds. and then in the 10th Harada dropped Famechon with a right and Famechon seemed to wake up when he got up.He came back to put Harada down in 12th ,pressured Harada and actually sent him through the ropes with a left hook in 14th.Haradas last fight at a young 26.Famechon lost title to a Comebacking Vincente Saldivar In May who was in off two yr layoff and thought to be Finished up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    Not to much but seen him in a few matches.Had a crazy defense against frmr.Fly and bantam champ Fighting Harada In Australia.It was Reffed buy Willie pep and It was not handled well.
    Alot of missed calls by Pep.Harada slips in 5th and its ruled a Knockdown.Famechon was down By blows 3 times(1 ruled a slip).At the end Pep raised both fighters hands (Ref.sole judge)declaring a draw.This is the great part,Mickey Duff,then co-promoter "asked"the Local police to examine peps card where they saw pep actually scored it 70-69 Famechon
    They rematched In Jan. 70' In Tokyo.It was back and forth For 8 or 9 rnds. and then in the 10th Harada dropped Famechon with a right and Famechon seemed to wake up when he got up.He came back to put Harada down in 12th ,pressured Harada and actually sent him through the ropes with a left hook in 14th.Haradas last fight at a young 26.Famechon lost title to a Comebacking Vincente Saldivar In May who was in off two yr layoff and thought to be Finished up.
    Thanks mate. I think he is underated tho. Beatin HArada in Tokyo was a great effort.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    Thanks mate. I think he is underated tho. Beatin HArada in Tokyo was a great effort.
    Anything I can do to help.Harada was a great, last fight or not,Famechon does not get reconized to much and thats a shame.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Famechon was underrated for sure, he fought Harada with a chipped bone in his ankle in that first fight and as a fleet footed boxer this hampered his extraordinary defensive skills. He bamboozled Jose Legra to win the title, KO'd Harada in the rematch, beat future Bantam Champ Arnold Taylor in South Africa and then lossed a disputed decision to Vicente Saldivar in Rome, I have seen this fight and Saldivar would have been lucky to win 3 rounds! Descendants of Caligula were in charge of this fight and Famechon was robbed of his title, sadly this loss meant we never saw the proposed matchup with Lionel Rose.
    Whilst not an all time great featherweight he was never stopped in 67 pro fights and only lost 5!
    I have met him a few times as he worked as a sales rep in Melbourne before his accident, talked some boxing ( he liked Camacho at the time) terrific bloke!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hey yop fuck jonny fackemon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher
    hey yop F*** jonny fackemon
    Thanks for that well thought out reply.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    Thanks for that well thought out reply.
    yo my bad, i been drinikn and i was [issed, buyt i made a hotpoket and im ok now

honewstly i dont even know who the fuck jonny [pankleaon is

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"friends dont let friends post DRUNK!"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There you go, now you know who he is. that's what this forum is all about helping fellow fight fans find out who the great champs past and present are. Any fighter that has beaten Fighting Harada twice needs to be talked about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to contact me in Melbourne I have a copy of his autobiography
    you are welcome to.It's a good read and it's free.I have another copy.
    03 94861410
    Sincerely
    Kevin Reilly aka jake blackler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eagle,

Here's a link to the Aussie Boxing Hall of Fame. They have some info on him and other greats...

http://www.anbhof.com/John%20Famechon.html

I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by taansend
    Eagle,

Here's a link to the Aussie Boxing Hall of Fame. They have some info on him and other greats...

http://www.anbhof.com/John%20Famechon.html

Thanks CC

Thread Information