Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Inside fighting

I had my third sparring session yesterday (all punches to the head only were allowed).

The problem is my opponent (short inside fighter) would slip to my right get inside and start unloading. Before I started sparring I always practised the shoulder roll at home. Now that I have started sparring my trainer does not want me to use it because he believes its too advance. He wants me to stand my ground and double guard. I did that but I haven't trained to fight on the inside. I waited for the punches to stop but they didn't. Without thinking I turned away as if I'm shoulder rolling but its as if I'm caught with two minds. I turned away without raising my shoulder and with a double guard getting hit in the process. My trainer stops the session saying I'm gonna get myself knocked out.

My question is how do I fight on the inside with a double guard. Once they are inside do I step forward stand my ground or step back? Do I put my weight on my front foot or on my back? Do I plant both feet or still keep my rear heel slighty raised? How far apart should my legs be? And what are some basic combinatons I can use to punch my way out? I'm 73 kg at the moment but will prob fight at 69 kg, about 5'10", very skinny weak upper body build for my weight, but very strong legs, very fast and have a big right hand. Thanks alot and I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Inside fighting

Inside Fighting is not really my forte either, but I've learned to deal with it.

As for your question, in Inside Fighting, you want to put your weight on your back foot, if I recall correctly. Putting it on your lead foot will offset your balance, causing you to be vulnerable. You should never fight flat-footed (even though it does occur), you should always fight with your heels off the ground, even in Inside Fighting. Your stance should be the same as your regular boxing stance, moving your feet closer will make you lose power, too far apart, and you will be too rigid.

As for combinations, I have 3 good ones for you:

1st Combo: Right Uppercut, Left Hook, Cross

This combination works great, especially when your opponent likes to throw punches to the body. Play "possum" (don't throw any punches, but keep your guard up, protecting your head), and let him hook you to your body. Wait for him to open up his guard when he throws a punch, and shoot a right uppercut to his chin to pop it up, throw a Left Hook immediately after, and throw a sharp Cross, and roll out to the side. This combo only works, when you are close together, blocking and throwing

2nd Combo: Left Uppercut, Cross

This is another good combination, and usually most opponents can't see it coming. Once again, you play possum, letting your opponent throw punches at you. Slip to your left (meaning move your head and body to the left, like slipping a punch, and throw a Left Uppercut under your opponents guard, which will lift his chin up. Immediately follow it up with a hard Cross, and roll out of range.

3rd Combo: Left Body Hook, Left Head Hook, Cross

This is if you like body shots, if not, I'd stick with the combos I mentioned above. Shift to your left while sinking down and throw a sharp Left Body Hook. Then rise up and throw the Left Hook to the Head (doubling up the Hook). Finish with the Cross, and move out of range.

Hope this helped, good luck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna practise everything you told me tommorow in the gym. What are some good inside fighters that I can watch who use more of a Winky Wright style defense on the inside opposed to more of a James Toney method. My trainer doesn't want me using the shoulder roll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If someone told me that was my post I would believe it. I was stuck in the same predicament before. To this day the coach tells me that I should keep my gaurd up (and I do sometimes). However, being a world-class trainer he recognizes certain people use more or less risky styles. If your trainer refuses to allow you to shoulder roll (which is an invaluable tool IMO) you face two options: change trainers or change styles. I so love the shoulder roll I might even change trainers if that was the case.

Note you will get hit with the shoulder roll at first but eventually you will get good enough to use it as an optimal defense tool. It takes months even years of practice to perfect but once perfected... well Mayweather can finish that statement.
    Last edited by Rocky Balboa; 09-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My trainer will let me use it once I've gained more experience. One of the other trainers uses it. I think the main reason he doesn't allow me to is because I'm sparring guys who are lot more experienced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, one reason for why they're discouraging it is that they might have not have any idea how it is done themselves. I remember there was there was this guy in the Title boxing videos that was trying to teach a kid how to do it, and the trainer was absolutely clueless. He had the boxer trying to do the move from a squared up stance, and the shoulder roll became a large turning motion instead of the easy natural. It was absolutely appalling.

With good fundamentals/ the shoulder roll can be done naturally. That means good stance, not a limiting ear-muffed, squared stance. There are a lot of gaps in many boxing trainers' instruction, and therefore it's up to the boxer take responsibility for themselves. Seek out a good trainer, and learn how to train productively and figure out a lot of things on your own.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 09-05-2009 at 12:28 AM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information